Mad Max Is Delayed But Does Have Cool Cars

By Alice O'Connor on April 28th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Broom broom

I am quietly hopeful that we’ll see a grappling hook in Mad Max. Oh sure, probably not the truly wondrous grappling hook its developers Avalanche Studios put in Just Cause 2 to fling enemies, cars, planes, and yourself around with gay abandon, but perhaps something sufficient for a little automotive japery. There’s cinematic precedent for Max and his foes tossing them about, after all, as you know what’s useful when trying to catch and murder other people in cars? Grappling hooks.

But enough about grappling hooks. A new trailer giving a teensy peek at Mad Max and its car combat also casually mentions a 2015 launch, which means plans to release Avalanche’s open-world post-apocalypse ‘em up this year are set back. That’s fine. I can wait for a grappling hook.

But lo, what’s this car we see the non-Mel-Gibson-looking-aliking Max driving in this trailer? His old ride’s been nicked, the story goes, which means part of the game is upgrading an old banger to be a lean, mean, car-crushing machine dressed to the nines with extraneous exhaust pipes and bullbars. Why, there’s probably even room to whack a grappling hook on it!

Speaking of grappling hooks, the Internet’s eagle eyes have spotted Square Enix recently registered domains for a few more numbered Just Cause sequels. Perhaps this signals more grappling hooks to come, though let’s temper expectations as publishers do sometimes like to lock domains down without any firm intent, just in case they later decide to go a-sequelling.

, , , .

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

If this turns out as kind of a Next Car Game meets Fallout, rather than just like RAGE, this could be rather good. I might buy some leather studded pants to wear whilst playing. BECAUSE I do not own such an item presently at all.

• kevmscotland says:

I always felt the game FUEL had the potential to be a great post-apocolypse style driving game also.
      The world itself looked amazing, it just lacked anything to do. It was so horrifically boring.

• Kefren says:

Yep. I got bored of the races quickly (why race cars when survival itself is likely to be a struggle?) and spent nearly all my time just exploring, and making up stories – zombies coming; camping out in the shack I found in the woods; the mysterious black trucks being marauders out to kill me… If the game had included an ability to mod it easily it would have ended up as something amazing. It pains me that so much craft went into a huge world but then the game crammed into it was stupid.

2. John Connor says:

I guess somebody in the studio actually watched the movie and they realized how little in common their game had with it.

• Pockets says:

I dunno how much care’s been taken it seems like it’s in a weird half-hearted grey-area – they’ve got the XB Falcon of course but all the other cars in the screenshots and trailers are American (Mustangs, Pontiac GTO, Model A hotrod etc.), yet they’ve made sure it’s all right hand drive. Odd; it’s like there’s someone who cares, but isn’t in charge.

3. faelnor says:

I’d be fine with a vehicular-only action game. I’ve been dying for a true Interstate ’76 successor for a long time.

4. XhomeB says:

I don’t know why, but I’m getting some Interstate ’76 vibes from this. Probably because it’s the first thing that comes to my mind when I see a guns&cars combo.

5. Ross Angus says:

I started playing Sniper: Ghost Warrior this morning and discovered there’s (sort of) grappling hooks in it. Which work exactly like in the original Call of Juarez. Which was made in an earlier version of the same game engine.

I’m not complaining. More games should have surprise grappling hooks in them.

• Wowbagger says:

I’m more worried as to why you’re playing sniper ghost warrior then the grappling hook obsession to be honest.

6. PopeRatzo says:

2015… They must be developing it on those old diesel-powered computers.

7. secuda says:

ten years later at RPS
    “you remember Mad Max game? well here is the latest uppdate”

8. Faxanadu says:

Yeah make a CAR GAME when you could instead be making something awesome like Just Cause 3 with a multiplayer! :(

I am grumpy!

I’m still playing Just Cause 2 MP, and lovin’ it. If only it had decent netsync, maybe some hitboxes instead of auto-aim, and something to do, it’d be awesome. The Roleplaying server tries, but it’s not quite enough.

9. Surlywombat says:

Landmark has grappling hooks.

10. AngusPrune says:

Did I read that right? “2015. Preorder Now.”

Are they having a laugh?

11. The Random One says:

Alice sure knows how to write an article that hooks in the reader.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

These puns are going to be abseil-outely awful.

• The Random One says:

Well, I’ve made the obvious pun already, so any more attempts will be grasppling at straws.

12. wodin says:

Darkwind has the best car combat mechanic out there..I wish they’d gone for something similar rather than this..I haven’t played a Car Combat game yet that I really enjoyed..well except Darkwind.