Cardboard Children – Rab’s Top 50 (40-31): The Video

By Robert Florence on April 29th, 2014 at 9:00 pm.

Hello youse!

It’s the big reveal video of numbers 40-31 on my TOP 50 Boardgames of ALL the TIMES list. I do hope you enjoy it. Next week I’ll dig into the games in a wee bit more detail. For now – go see what’s made the list!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. AngelTear says:

Where do I fill the form to request being adopted by you, Rab *o*

2. soulblur says:

Better from the front.

But my, what a lot of games those are. Great, beautiful games.

3. TheBuff1 says:

My goodness that is a nice collection of games! And I thought it was only Tom Vasel and The Dice Tower who displayed games like that! Rab I salute you! You’ve got me back into boardgames in a big way! Miss you on Twitter :(

4. Yserbius says:

In all seriousness, I understood maybe about 1 word out of 3. Rab, I knew that you’re Bri’ish and suspected Sco’ish, but I never would have pegged you with an accent that makes David Tennant sound like he grew up in Chicago.

“Kuuuh has a couple of characters that are hitten”

5. Edgewise says:

Excellent video, great direction. Personally, I’d put Risk: Legacy higher on the list. I’ve been playing this game with four of my coworkers over the last couple of months, and the consensus is that this is the most fun any of us have had with a board game. We’re not all board gamers, but some of us are, so this is a remarkable consensus. It’s not a perfect game, but I can say with great confidence that it’s a genius design and endlessly fun.

6. Saarlaender39 says:

46: Kingsburg
    47: Ninjato
    48: Mission Red Planet
    49: The Duke
    50: Conquest of Planet Earth

7. Aerothorn says:

Legacy only at 37? I’m pretty shocked.

• Aerothorn says:

But then again The Duke is easily in my top 10 :P

• apocraphyn says:

Was about to say the same damn thing! Loved Legacy, it was an immensely refreshing board game and, as Rab said, it creates a solid memento to look back on after you’ve finished the 15 games. Cheers for giving it such a glowing review way back when, Rab – probably wouldn’t have heard of it if you hadn’t mentioned it, and that in turn spurred me and my mates to look into more board games.

8. Sleepymatt says:

“This game’s amazing!”
    “I’ve not even heard of that game, haven’t seen you play it, I haven’t even seen it in your game collection”
    “Well…”

Love it! Aptly sabotaged by your own director… this gave me a real belly laugh!

9. rexx.sabotage says:

THIS series makes me want to play more board games!

10. Severian says:

This series is great. Keep it coming.

11. Randomgit says:

I want to be Rab when I grow up. Shit, I’m 40…… just in time for my mid life crisis then! Huzzah ‘n stuff.

12. squareking says:

Letter Gothic, best gothic.

And now I really want Hour of Glory.

13. Slazia says:

Great video. Love the passion.

14. celticdr says:

Rab makes me want to play boardgames again, with a Glaswegian… unless I’m mistaken on the accent :)

15. damaki says:

Thanks Rab.
    Gotta love these games, gotta love this overwhelming passion, gotta love this accent. Many thanks, pal.

Cheers

16. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I’ve only just watched the first video, but it’s brilliant. Glad to see your boundless enthusiasm does as well on screen as it does in words. Looking forward to watching this instalment.

17. Bull0 says:

Good to see Risk Legacy make the cut. Fantastic thing that it is.

18. webs1 says:

Love the video.
    Also love the “subtle” criticisms of his daughter(?). I mean, he’s older than me, how dare he wear a cap back to front!?

19. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Never mind boardgames, Rab’s posts always make me feel good about the world.

20. jarowdowsky says:

fucking hell, Rab giving us all hope those exercise plans might actually work. And he’s only gone and done a game wall! Nice work

21. Wendelius says:

I can just see it. Now that you have told your daughter that choice is good, watch her rip cards and draw on the board of other games. You better set up a boardgame neighbourhood watch. ;)

22. ben_reck says:

Enjoying the series. Was his shirt a wee small?

I would like to start hearing a little more about why he prefers the games in the 40′s to the ones in the 50′s (and the ones in the 30′s to the 40′s). What propels one game ahead of another? However, there might be too much genre variety to do that at the moment.

Comment on this story