Cramming: Deus Ex ‘Re-imagining’ Mod Coming Soon-ish

By Alice O'Connor on April 29th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Oh là là!

Texture packs, replacement models, and post-processing mods can do a lot to pretty a game up, but they can’t conceal that jagged old level geometry. It’s an awful lot more work to re-do and update levels but by gum, the folks at Deus Ex: Revision are putting in the time. The Caustic Creative team have been tarting up and reworking Deus Ex‘s levels with more props, more decorative architecture, and fancier lighting.

Version 1.0 of the “re-imagining” mod had been due on May 12 but due a mysterious alluring offer it’s pushed back into the nebulous “near future,” those PC Gamer chaps have spotted. In the meantime, we’ll have to make do with a new video showing off a few of the reworked levels.

Revision is, in Caustic’s own words, “bringing new level design, aesthetic direction and world-building detail” to the Ion Storm classic. Enough is changed that it’s pushing up against the limitations of Deus Ex’s old, old version of Unreal Engine. It comes bundled with the New Vision texture pack, the HDTP models (disabled by default, if you don’t fancy their new style), and a few other mods which bring things a bit more up to date. It’ll be the shiniest Deus Ex yet, in short.

“We realize that the delay is unpleasant for everyone who has been anticipating Revision 1.0, but we’ve had an offer that is too good to pass up, and it means that we can avoid crunching in these next couple weeks,” Caustic said in a blog post last week. “Revision is not canceled by any means, and we still plan to finish production and launch in the near future.”

How very mysterious! Here, have a gander at the video released alongside that news:

, , , , .

1. BobbyDylan says:

Wow. I was not aware that this was in production. After Discovering System Shock 2 HD, I wished for this to be a thing.

Soon, It seem, it might be just that.

• YogSo says:

Within six months.

• Vilda says:

While I enjoy flashy graphics, I have no problems playing through vannila Deus Ex every other year. Dated engine is just a part of its charm.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I’m a latecomer to Deus Ex and I agree, just some of the usual fixes to play old games on a modern screen is enough for me. Except for one thing – The absolutely horrible footstep sounds (even for its time). It’s like everybody’s got pony hoof augumentations. It’s slowly driving me insaaaaaane.

• drinniol says:

His hearing is augmented. It’s just that they chose the Pony Hoof! Trick Your Friends! brand.

2. 2late2die says:

*sigh*
    I appreciate the work put into adding details, improving textures, etc., but at the end of the day it still looks absolutely ancient. I love the original game, I’ve played it 3 times and would play it again if it were upgraded to a modern version. I really wish somebody would redo the entire thing in UE4 – add in some physics, some destructible environments, improved AI, updated level design and GTA5-quality cutscenes – that would be sick. I would totally plop down half a benji on something like that. And if they do a collector’s edition in a beautiful box with a high quality artbook and the original game included I’ll start throwing money at my computer screen.

• dskzero says:

To everyone claiming for a remake… why not try and make a new game that’s up to the standards Deus Ex set?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Did I understand correctly that it’s a rebuild in the SAME engine? That seems strange as rebuilds have tended to be done in newer sparkle generators. I was expecting them to say this was a recreation in one of the cryengines.

I may have missed that though. I’m watching it on the loo at work with the volume down.

• Wedge says:

I don’t think anyone has ever actually completed a remake of an old game in a new engine other than Black Mesa. Which we all know is not even technically complete, and took 9 some years to get where it is. I rather fancy the look of the old Unreal engine anyways, just played through Unreal Gold last week and it was great.

• LionsPhil says:

RenegadeX, although possibly disqualified for not including the singleplayer nobody* loved.

(* Except you, Hans.)

• MrRobotBear says:

Yeah, it’s the same engine. It’s not like we are recreating the entire game, we “just” redesign the levels and add a new optional soundtrack. Porting the game to a newer engine would require the original source, and a lot more then just five people.

• MrRobotBear says:

Ah, that would be lovely. :) We are going to try and do some modifications to the rendering engine so we can add per-pixel-lighing. It wouldn’t be ready for Revision’s release, but might be sometime in the summer. If only Epic released the source to UE1 then it would be significantly easier to change stuff like AI, rendering, proper physics support, skeletal animation and so on. :)

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

You guys should bug them about that. Now that they’re releasing UE4′s source code, they might be motivated to do the same for UE1.

You might still have some trouble though; I was part of a team that remade Unreal Tournament in the UT2004 version of UE2, and when the question was raised, at the time we were told no, primarily because there were clients who had licensed the engine who did not want to expose their multiplay to cheat vulnerabilities.

Still, worth a shot. I wish you the best of luck!

3. Tyrmot says:

Surely if any game is due for a proper remake (I mean a technological re-skinning only) it is this one?

• BobbyDylan says:

*Looks at Syndicate*
      *Looks at Thief*

Yeah…. I’ dunno.

• evileeyore says:

Also looks at XCOM and The Bureau: XCOM Declassified…

They can touch my beloved old games over my dead rotting corpse.

• Shazbut says:

He did say just a reskin only. I for one would pay all the world’s gold

• zero says:

AOE 2 HD was supposed to be mostly just an updated version of the classic…and that turned out to be a shamefull mess of a cash grab on release. A year later now, it is still significantly worse than the original version :(

I dont trust them to remake such classics with a decent amount of respect, sadly. :/

4. baozi says:

It’s funny how the commentator sounds like he could be a character in the game IMHO

5. Porkolt says:

Man this is excellent news.

I was just trying to repaly Deus Ex earlier this week and couldnt get over how hideous the GUI looked on high resolutions. Let’s hope this mod is a success.

Gap Gen says:

This is supposed to be a dystopian future, but the Paris metro is substantially nicer in this than the real thing.

DrScuttles says:

Despite my many attempts over the last 14 years, the furthest I’ve ever got in Deus Ex was Hong Kong. There’s just something, some kind of barrier, between it and me that I suspect means we’ll never quite get on as well as we’d both like. Perhaps a mod like this would help. Or maybe I’m just rubbish at critical game theory or something.

8. HiFiHair says:

Yes, yes, yes, but when can we expect the INEVITABLE CASSANDRA PROJECT SEQUEL?

9. The Random One says:

Since I’m apparently the only person here who doesn’t follow the mandate of Thou Shalt Play This Cool Old Game Like Every Year, this seems like as good an excuse to replay it as any. Now if only I could find the obsolete piece of plastic where the game itself has been recorded…

10. Berzee says:

Hi, I’m Bud Puckett?

• Muzman says:

Do not speak of that Game We Do Not Speak Of around Deus Ex!

11. Darth Gangrel says:

I never thought the game looked that old or ugly, but that’s because I still play a lot of 10+ year old games. With a game like Deus Ex, it’s not graphical quality I’m after, but rather more stuff to do, more things to get me to immerse myself further in that world. FPS games and visual mods are a much better match, I think. With story heavy games, I want more story, not fancier graphics.

• Josh W says:

This may not exactly match your interests then, but one thing I like about it is that setting the same story in a different shaped world, one I’m not quite as familiar with, can put different quirks on how it actually plays out. Different tactics, maybe actually meeting smuggler earlier on. Changes based on how the new stuff interacts with my habits. I never really download new texture packs, but a level rebuild is a different matter.

• povu says:

From what I’ve seen so far it seems that the way they’re redesigning and expanding the levels does mean there’ll be more to see and do. It’s not just a graphics update with a bunch of extra clutter scattered around existing levels.

The catacombs for example should be very very different.

• bill says:

You could try: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/03/16/narcissus-speaks-nameless-mod-released/
      and
      (if you haven’t already)

Deus Ex looked crap when it came out and when I first played it. And I didn’t care at all, because (like most games) after about 10 minutes I was sucked in and I didn’t notice anymore.