Earworm: Game Music Bundle 7 Offers 5 Soundtracks For $1

By Graham Smith on May 1st, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

A side benefit to videogame bundles: they offer the opportunity to write about games that would otherwise go unmentioned on a PC-only site. Take Game Music Bundle 7, for example. For $1, it gives you the soundtracks to The Banner Saga, Broken Age, Luftrausers, The Floor Is Jelly and Device 6. Which is four PC games and therefore ample excuse to mention that the mobile-only Device 6 is a puzzle game with some of my favourite videogame music ever. I mean, listen to this.

Or maybe you don’t care about the advantages the bundle offers me, the lowly internet writer, and instead want to know that if you pay a further $9 (for a total of $10, fact fans), you’ll also net the soundtracks to The Yawhg, Starbound, Escape Goat 2, Eldritch, Tribes: Ascend, Ether and my fingers are getting tired so I’ll just say nine others for a total of 20.

One of those nine others is Calum Bowen’s Winnose, and Sunday Papers readers will know I’ve raved about his work before. Listen to some of it now, please.

The bundle is offered through Loudr, which distribute a ton of videogame soundtracks and cover arrangements. The nice thing about the bundle – aside from it being cheap and supportive of under-appreciated creators – is that you’ll get every album in both mp3 and lossless FLAC formats. So if you’re the sort to be able to tell the difference (I can’t), you’ll be able to brag to your friends all the more about how good your speaker system is.

You’ve got around twelve hours to go before the bundle ends, so take a look (with your ears).

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , , , .

1. shimeril says:

Grabbed this last weekend – loving the Starbound soundtrack and Luftrausers. Haven’t listened to the others yet – anything in those is just a bonus really.

• Jalan says:

I think that Loudr is the only place anyone can actually purchase that Starbound album from now (not quite sure why that is).

2. Jerodar says:

The Tribes Ascend soundtrack can make anything feel epic :P
    Especially the V* tracks (basically any that have all cap titles). Those are the flag runner themes.
    So. Much. Adrenaline.

…crap now I gotta install tribes again

3. MonkeyMonster says:

That device 6 excerpt had some very Banjo Kazooie mixed in with deathspank vibes

4. Jalan says:

Winnose is actually available on a name your price model on Mr. Bowen’s Bandcamp page, in the rare instance anyone is ONLY interested in that. It’s not the first time his work has made it into a Game Music Bundle either, which is certainly kind of the guys curating it.

5. somnolentsurfer says:

The Banner Saga soundtrack is truely lovely. With that and the Monanco soundtrack too, Austin Wintory is forming a large proportion of music I work too at the moment.

• Philomelle says:

You should try Soul Fjord. Wintory worked on that one as well, he described it as an experiment for “what would happen if vikings tried to write funk music”.

It’s a shame that the game being stuck on OUYA pretty much murdered its audience. It’s not an incredible game by any means, but the soundtrack is out of this world.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Ooo. Sold! I wasn’t going to buy as I already own so much of what I’m interested in here, but you’ve convinced me!

Also, how’ve I not heard of this game before? (Rhetorical, obvs, it’s an Ouya exclusive.) I can go blind now, for that is quite possibly the very best cover art I will ever see.

• Jalan says:

Austin is the Jerry Goldsmith of game music. Any game project he works on deserves a full orchestra, or at the very least a small ensemble if budget won’t allow the former.

• somnolentsurfer says:

I think the Monaco soundtrack shows he’s versatile enough to get by on much less…

• Jalan says:

The key point I was making there is that the man excels at music written for people to actually play it, not program it into a synth so it can be heard according to sequence(s) and any developer who hires him on should make the concentrated effort to give him even a five piece ensemble to play his compositions.

6. Philomelle says:

I’m glad this bundle got front page treatment before it ran out. A lot of music in it is incredible and I felt sad when it didn’t show up in the last Bargain Bucket.

On topic of music, the soundtrack to Child of Light is currently on Bandcamp. It’s a wonderful little album, possibly the best work by Beatrice “Coeur de Pirate” Martin so far.

• El_Emmental says:

I think it has to do with how “rare” these music bundles are (when compared with other bundles) and the sacking of Lewie.

They usually make one every 3 months or so (this time they took 5 months to make a new one), and after a bundle or two Lewie was probably subscribed to their bundle newsletter (nb: it’s worth it, they never spam me about their store, whenever I get an email it’s for an actual bundle) so he would report about it with several days remaining.

Cassandra will probably add it to her list of bundles to check and will report about the next one on time :)

7. cpt_freakout says:

Wow, why didn’t I know about this before? Thanks for the heads-up, I’ll be exploring that site for a while now! And, like somnolentsurfer said above, the whole thing is worth it even if you only get it for the Austin Wintory works.

8. El_Emmental says:

* Reminder *
    There is a wiki (a wikia, to be more precise) about (almost) all of these bundles:

Example: http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Music_Bundle

It usually takes 24-36 hours to get updated, so websites like IndieGameStand (with 24/48h games) are not covered – but all the major time-limited bundles about indie games should be there.

Check that wikia front page once or twice a week (let’s say… Sunday and Wednesday ?) and you should be able to avoid missing the most important bundles.

(disclaimer: I’m not a member of the team behind that wikia, I just found it long ago and contributed through the suggestion page twice as a simple visitor, mostly to get the front page reworked and games having their own page too)

- – -

It is also VERY useful to check if a game was featured in bundles before, especially if you happen to own that very bundle – all that thanks to that archive.

Simply bookmark each bundle you bought in a folder “Owned bundles” (each bundle have their own dedicated page with the list of games featured in it, with the BTA tiers of course).

When you want to check if you already own a game, simply search for that game on the wikia, open the corresponding bundles, see if they’re bookmarked (up there in the address bar).

That way, you should be able to check your Steam/Desura/Humble bundle (widget/store purchases) accounts rapidly (by logging in and scrolling through their respective list of games), check your emails for games you bought directly from the devs, and finally check the bundles on that wikia (without being afraid of missing one because games aren’t mentioned in the bundle purchase emails most of the time).

ps: you could always have a spreadsheet file with all the games you already own… but good luck getting it up-to-date (I tried my best, I swear !).

9. tblakebraddy says:

I guess I will have to continue to buy more soundtracks than I could ever possibly listen to.