New Serious Sam Made By Serious Fans Seriously On Steam

By Nathan Grayson on May 1st, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Ever had one of those days where it feels like you're  on the moon having all your blood forcibly removed by a large man who won't stop cracking terrible one-liners? Yeah, me too

We should be seeing and hopefully playing Serious Sam 4 by the end of this year, but until then you’ll just have to make do with fan remakes of the series’ first two games with an entire new campaign, bosses, an upgraded engine, 64-bit compatibility, Steam trading cards, and buzzword buzzword buzz buzz buzz I am a bee. It’s a bit odd given that Croteam already released remakes of its own in Serious Sam HD, but here we are. The team at Alligator Pit has Croteam’s full support, so it’s not like anyone is stepping on anybody else’s toes. Serious Sam Classics: Revolution is now on Steam Early Access, and you can see it in action below.

It’s not quite as pretty as the Serious Sam HD editions, but it may well pack even more of a punch. For now your $4.99 (or nothing, if you already own the vanilla versions of Serious Sam First and Second Encounter) will get you both full games running on the improved engine and a few new versus and survival levels.

By now, however, you’ve probably already played most of that a hundred-billion samillion silmarillion times over. Fortunately, new stuff is on the way if you’re willing to commit that most un-Sam-like of sins: stop and wait a tick.

• A brand new campaign with new and exciting enemies, environments and a special ending boss!
  • The beloved Plasmagun and Minelayer from the Warped mod!
  • Even more new and refined gamemodes!
  • Even moooooore achievements, and icons for them!
  • A fully featured scripting engine for advanced mod creation!
  • More OpenGL shader integration like post processing and more!
  • More versus maps and fixes to the current ones based on user feedback!
  • For modders, we’ll be adding a set of tutorial maps to showcase the new features we’ve added to the engine!
  • Steam Trading Cards!

Thrilling! I know because a flock of exclamation points told me!

It remains to be seen if Alligator’s got what it takes to develop good content, but I suppose only time will tell. For now, though, it’s Serious Sam. You can’t really go wrong with that.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Lexx87 says:

Do love me some Sam, but I don’t really see why i’d bother after playing the hell out of both the HD remakes already.

2. Steven Hutton says:

They should totally give this franchise to Obsidian!

3. smeghamr says:

Christ, talk about flogging a dead horse. Maybe make some other games if you need the cash so badly, Croteam..

• Darth Gangrel says:

Well, Serious Sam is all that Croteam has been doing since they made the first game, so it’s not like they’re just now flogging a dead horse. I’m looking forward to Serious Sam 4.

• Jackablade says:

I’m slightly wary after Serious Sam 3. I hope they take a good look at everything they did wrong with that title, most notably but certainly not limited to not starting the game proper for 4-5 hours. Croteam need to take a look at the things that didn’t work in Sams 2 and 3 and then finally get us a proper sequel to the First and Second Encounters.

• derbefrier says:

I liked Serious Sam 3 a lot in spite of the obvious flaws. the 2nd encounter is still my favorite though. I do hope they learned from their mistakes in 3. My main hope is hat they bring back some of that crazy, i don’t give a shit if it makes sense, level design. The bouncy room, that one hat was like a giant washing machine etc.. serious sam 3 completely lacked these ridiculous moments like bouncing around a room at light speed trying o kill a 100 demons hat just spawned out of nowhere.

• Siimon says:

SS3 was my first pre-order ever, ended up not liking the game. I played a few hours in to it (just past the point where you’re in the desert/pyramids and need to find some keys to unlock a door, if that makes any sense). Inside a dark pyramid there are these monkey-things jumping around on pillars making noise and jeezus christ that was just annoying.
          Apart from being boring and having any of the fun/crazy that the original games had, SS3 gave me motion-sickness :(

How does the game change later on? I’d really like for it to be better than it is, I’d be so happy if it was just a really long boring sequence before the fun started… :)

• headless97 says:

You still have a lot of game to cover before SS3 starts to come into its own. You will have to face some “boss” monsters, including one of the most annoying enemies I have ever faced in any game, until you eventually find the minigun. Then SS3 becomes a Serious Sam game. Well, sort of. SS3 doesn’t have the level variety or enemy variety of previous games, and the new enemies and the reimagined old enemies are not well done, hitscan scorpions being egregious offenders.

• Siimon says:

I can’t reply to you directly, headless97, but this is meant as a reply to you: Is it worth it? Trudging through so much more before it turns into.. an almost good game? I might have to grab somebody else’s savegame and skip a few levels. Anyway, thanks for the reply! :)

• Jackablade says:

You’re not that far from the mini-gun bit. The pyramid section is a bit of a grind, but it’s not all that long.

I suspect if you’re not enjoying yourself at all at this point, you’re not magically going to start having fun when you’re charged by 250 Kleer, but maybe give it a smidgen longer if you want to see.

4. carbonated_cottage_cheese says:

Couldn’t they have just updated the original games instead of this being some seperate release altogether?

5. Darth Gangrel says:

I own the original retail versions (not the Steam versions) of Serious Sam: First Encounter and Second Encounter, but does that mean I still have to pay for this game if I want to play it? I don’t want to pay twice for a game I already own. Can I link my retail installations to my Steam account and thus get this game for free? If not, I’ll just play some other mods and the games themselves.

• Jason Moyer says:

I don’t know what the prerequisites are for getting it, but I have it in my Steam library already and I definitely didn’t purchase it. Perhaps you need to own the HD versions? I have the originals and the HD re-rereleases so I guess that doesn’t narrow it down.

Edit: For some reason “retail” didn’t register, so I guess my answer is “I have no idea”.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I have the HD editions of First and Second Encounter on Steam, but when I look at the store page it still says 4,99 euros. If they don’t allow me to play it for free, they can keep their stupid mod. I’ve got other stupid mods for Serious Sam that I can play.

• ScubaMonster says:

For some reason, the HD remakes don’t count. You have to own the classic versions to get this for free. Not sure why that matters since it’s a stand alone and doesn’t even require you to have them installed. I guess it’s not really a “mod” technically.

• Kitanode says:

The new Sam game just appeared in my Steam Library without me having to do anything so I guess it will do the same for yours as well.

6. bill says:

Serious Sam was great, and it captured almost everything that was great about Doom – except for the varied environments. God I got bored of flat planes with pyramids!

Does this have levels set in Hell? Or in Space? Or in ancient european castles? OR on oil tankers or something? And with a bit more versatility?
    If so, sold!

(I dream of a world where the level designers from Painkiller work at Croteam…)

• DickSocrates says:

I never understood the comparisons to Doom. I bought the original way back because people mentioned Doom but it’s nothing like it and is far, far inferior. The frankly bizarre fixation with Egyptian locations and fairly terrible “comedy” enemies with no gameplay beyond “you’re in a massive pit, don’t die” never appealed to me. Doom is nothing like Serious Sam.

• ScubaMonster says:

You’re right, it’s nothing like Doom, but I wouldn’t venture to say Doom is far superior. In fact, that seems like an odd statement considering you yourself say they can’t be compared. The only relatable quality is they are both first person shooters, which doesn’t mean much. Doom was awesome when it came out, but is pretty primitive. I don’t think I could stand to play Doom now, but I could still enjoy Serious Sam. Doom is noteworthy because it was a huge breakthrough at the time.

• headless97 says:

You might not be able to stand Doom but you should give Brutal Doom a try. The gunplay is so satisfying and the classic level design makes BD better than most modern shooters I’ve played.

7. ScubaMonster says:

The main thing I’m looking forward to trying out is the multiplayer since it’s using Steam to handle it. The other games were kind of a ghost town and didn’t use Valve’s Steamworks. I’m hopefully optimistic that this means you might have more people playing.

8. oneeyedziggy says:

maybe(hopefully) these remakes contain the wall climbing bits taken out of the official remakes… one of my favorite parts… the original engine was amazingly flexible, dealing different gravity in different adjacent regions of the map (running up walls then back level at the plateau? the cylindrical explodo-frog chamber? ) not to mention dealing really well w/ hoards and scaling massive enemies.

9. Siimon says:

I own all the SS’s, including the original/classic and HD versions, yet Steam wants to charge me $4.99. Edit: They’ve fixed that now.

That said, I’m not totally sure what these are supposed to add that we’re meant to care about? Serious Sam is 13-14 years old by now and has been played to death and then some :)

The only thing I want from Serious Sam is splitscreen and xbox 360 for PC controller support for the 1st/2nd encounter remakes…

10. The Random One says:

I wish they’d done the same to the people who created a new version of Duke Nukem Forever based on the 1999 ad.

Comment on this story