Win-Toy Soldiers: Disney Infinity – Marvel Super Heroes

By Adam Smith on May 1st, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Whenever I’m reminded that Disney Infinity exists, I’m amazed that it doesn’t have a terrifying claim on parental wallets worldwide. The $75 starter pack that is the gateway into the console toybox has racked up more than three million sales and while the PC version has an initial free download and doesn’t support the physical figures that plug into the game, Skylanders-style, it is otherwise almost equivalent to the console versions. Purchasing the characters online as digital downloads does detract from the urge to collect ‘em all but also means additional PC content is a little cheaper.

In Autumn, Infinity is expanding and the 2.0 release will contain twenty new characters plucked from the Marvel universe. Millions of wallets suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. Perhaps that quote will actually be relevant when Disney unleash Infinity 3.0 to coincide with the cinematic release of Star Wars VII: The Generation Gap.

Will I be able to make Iron Man and Buzz Lightyear have space adventures together?

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes features more than 20 new interactive figures from across the Marvel universe, original storylines penned by award-wining Marvel comic writer Brian Michael Bendis, and an all-new Toy Box mode that makes it easier for players to create and share their one-of-a-kind levels and mini-games with family and friends. In addition, all characters and power discs from last year’s release of Disney Infinity will be compatible with the Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes Toy Box.

The Avengers’ Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Captain America, Hulk and Hawkeye will debut when the game launches this fall, along with additional Play Sets and characters from other popular Marvel and Disney franchises, which will be announced in the coming months.

That doesn’t answer my question but it does raise some new ones. Will Hulk perform mocking impressions of Shrek? What kind of crazy hijinks would ensue if Jack Sparrow joined The Avengers?

Will we see Yoda pitting his CGI whirligig fighting style against Deadpool at any point?

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

RaveTurned says:

Aw man, I read the headline and thought there was a competition to win Marvel stuff. :(

Thirith says:

How does Shrek come into it?

3. Geebs says:

I’m waiting for the Talcum Powder DLC, which makes the characters stand like they’re not trying to scratch their nuts without using their hands.

• Steven Hutton says:

I’m waiting to see this franchise handed over to the obvious best candidates for development… OBSIDIAN!

lowprices says:

By the time Dinfinity 3 comes out Disney will have bought Activision, so Dinfinity 3 will have Skylanders characters in.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

Hawkeye has a mask? Whaaaat!? I know the comic version has a mask, but they never allowed Jeremy Renner’s version of Hawkeye to have a mask. Wow, this respect for comic book origins is significant, because I like to blow up minor details.

• mechabuddha says:

I think those are just sunglasses. Sorry to disappoint!

6. ran93r says:

My boy is beyond excited about this, we played through Lego Marvel together.
    Sadly I can’t stand the multiplayer of Infinity, shitty split screen implementation Vs Lego Marvels dynamic split screen glory.

Still, my wallet is far from prepared.

7. hypercrisis says:

I’m really surprised Heroclix haven’t jumped on this toy/game crossover fad.

8. jonfitt says:

How is the non-beat em up side of Disney Infinity? I see the word mention other game modes, but the trailers always seemed to focus on the violence. At least this trailer has some racing in it. Marvell Superheroes obviously lend themselves to beat em up action, but it was always odd to see the friendlier Pixar characters used for fighting.
    Trying to introduce some variety in my children’s gaming y’know.

9. Wytefang says:

Just a great franchise and this will add even more coolness to it, imho. Owning the figures alone will be pretty sweet (super high quality stuff) and getting to tool around in the Marvel U seems excellent as well.

I think Disney Infinity has a leg up on Skylanders due to the far more recognizable characters and the multiple modes of play. Also, I’m pleased that this new version of Infinity will be compatible with the previous characters, that’s pretty nice also.