ZRPG: Soldak’s Date With The Dead

By Adam Smith on May 1st, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Details are scarce at the moment but Soldak have released the first details about their next game, which will see the developer return to the world of Depths of Peril and Din’s Curse. As the headline suggests, the game will involve zombies. Lots of the rotters bringing about the collapse of civilisation, as they so often do. When the undead manage to infect even the most imaginative of indie developers, the epidemic has surely reached crisis point but I’d be surprised if Soldak didn’t come up with an intriguing treatment. Details below.

There are no screenshots at the moment. The game is so early in development that it hasn’t even arrived on Early Access yet. Also, heed this warning:

Don’t take anything we say as a guarantee though. It is still very early, so anything could change.

The zombies are definitely staying though. Sounds like they’re chewing at the heart of the whole thing.

In the DoP/DC world, the zombie infection has mutated and is out of control. Now anything bitten or even scratched by a zombie might be infected. With the easy spread of the zombie infection, the undead are overrunning most of the world. Civilization has been destroyed. There are still pockets of resistance here and there; many of these are not human though.

Your job is to ensure you and your followers survive the zombie apocalypse. While zombies are the most immediate threat, it’s not the only one. Critical supplies like food are extremely limited and must be provided or people will starve. Your followers can be infected. Having someone turn inside of your stronghold is bad. Other groups are struggling to survive also. When they run low on supplies, will they trade or attack? Other groups, monsters, and zombies can all attack your stronghold. And finally you have to make sure your followers don’t cause problems or kill each other.

Most fantasy worlds seem to contain zombies, usually hanging around crypts. I suppose they’re necromancers’ minions rather than victims of an infection, so it makes sense that Baldur’s Gate isn’t haunted by hordes of half-composed halflings. The zombie apocalypse tends to occur in recognisable versions of our own world rather than the lands of loot and legend. A survival RPG set in an afflicted realm could be quite the thing and Soldak haven’t let me down yet.

This is a game of survival. When a follower dies, they are dead. The world supply chain is gone. Food is a critical resource that must be obtained. Vendors are rare and have limited supplies. There isn’t a town blacksmith that can repair all of your weapons or a town vendor to buy an infinite amount of food from. Survival isn’t easy.

Previous releases from the studio have been some of the few RPGs that simulate a persistent world rather than flicking switches to make a huge change when certain choices are made. I’m definitely on board with this, even if it doesn’t have a name yet.

, , , .

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Zombies.
    Soldak.
    Zombies.
    Soldak.
    Soldak wins.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

“The zombies are definitely staying though. Sounds like they’re chewing at the heart of the whole thing” Chewing at the heart? Don’t you mean that they’re chewing at the brains or that they’re the brains behind this ordeal?

RedViv says:

Stop with the offensive stereotyping! Not all zombies are like that! Sheesh!

3. mechabuddha says:

Whenever I hear “Soldak”, I can’t help but think of “Soldat” and what a fucking awesome game that was.

• Golden Pantaloons says:

Sounds like a bad Marvel villain to me.

But the game sounds interesting, at least it’s a slighty different angle on the zombie survival thing.

4. Felixader says:

I have now reached a point where i must force myself to pay attention to a game, whenever zombies are named.
    Whenever this happens (zombies beeing mentioned to be in a game) i feel my heart sink.

Most inclusions of zombies are lazym unimaginitve and a cover up for not beeing able of any creative thougth, at least that is what my heart tells me.

• Baines says:

On the other hand, most Soldak games are not lazy or unimaginative.

Though I found Drox Operative more entertaining than the fantasy games.

soulblur says:

Why, at the end of the world, would you have a vendor who is selling essential items for cash? I think this makes no sense. Particularly if the vendor was actually a part of your team or community, rather than a travelling merchant you didn’t know. Those items are useful for everyone (including the vendor) to survive. how does it benefit that person who hoard things? Insanity. In a true apocalypse, I suspect things would move to a communistic system very quickly: from each according to their ability, to each according to their need (or let them die). A market in that context just doesn’t make any sense.

Additionally, a medieval style society would be, I suspect, more resilient to a zombie invasion than modern society. A few reasons.
    1. Smaller population densities, so a critical mass of zombies would be less likely to occur.
    2. Armor. Modern armor protects from bullets and explosions, but less well from people trying to scratch or bite you. Medieval armor does a great job of stopping that.
    3. Defenses. Similarly, modern defenses aren’t really aimed at stopping loads of people ramming themselves into a fence or wall until it falls over. Medieval forts were designed to stop that sort of thing.
    4. Weapons. Swords and maces are probably more effective and stopping zombies than guns, at least with people who aren’t professional warriors. A greater proportion of the population would also be trained to use weapons.
    5. Supply chains. Supply chains in medieval societies were smaller, and transport wasn’t as efficient, which means that they would less subject to disruption, so the zombies are less likely to starve you at the first winter.

All in all, if the zombies came calling, I think my chances of survival would be higher in a medieval society than a modern one.

[Rant over]

JiminyJickers says:

I hope they use a better engine this time. I like the sound of the previous games in this series, but the clunky movement and graphics have put me off so far.

7. tsff22 says:

->Soldak

Instant buy.

8. Pippy says:

Already had to wipe out half the villagers in din’s curse when they turned that time