Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer Mod Enters Open Alpha

By Graham Smith on May 2nd, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

It's hard to take corners like this.

Adam and I are both avowed truck lovers, but thanks to the Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer Mod we can now pull our big rigs into the same roadside service station for a late night liaison. The mod has been in-development since late last year and entered open alpha yesterday.

While the mod has come a way since some of the early videos (as seen above, from December), the downloadable alpha is still far from finished, which means you can expect plenty of potholes on the road to playing it. At least it’s only a 1MB download.

I’m going to keep trying, though. I play Euro Truck Simulator 2 to relax on long drives, which means I don’t necessarily want to interact with other human beings while I’m taking in the view and zoning out, but I do love the idea that the other vehicles on the road could be other players. I want to see them sail by, maybe sound a horn of solidarity, and otherwise continue our separate ways.

Keep on truckin’, PCG.

, , , , .

1. spamenigma says:

Truck off!

2. PopeRatzo says:

Now, if they could do a Euro Truck Simulator, except with Lamborghinis and Ferraris and Dodge Challengers, and with cops that chase you and jumps through billboards, I’d reach for my wallet so fast it would dislocate my shoulder.

And a Belgian DJ Atomika, while we’re at it.

• The Random One says:

Now I’m imagining a Lamborghini burning rubber as it tries to haul a 50-ton container around. I… I would probably buy that too.

Hodge says:

TRUCK YOU INSPIRATION.

(EDIT:Whoops, that was supposed to be a reply to spamenigma.)

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

There is absolutely no way in the world that having other gamers in ETS2 could ever make the experience less enjoyable. Everyone will behave with courtesy and respect for traffic laws. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

*deadpans*

• SillyWizard says:

In the US, it’s interesting to see truckers’ behavior on the freeways.

The good ones will coordinate together and run parallel on the highway, taking up both lanes (most US highways are 2 lanes each way, when you’re outside of major population centers) in an attempt to break up pockets of civilian traffic who are more likely to cause traffic jams by driving stupidly and getting all bunched together.

When the truckers deem the road ahead of them to be clear enough, one of them will pull off in front of or behind the other, allowing civilian cars through the bottleneck. If they see (or hear via CB from truckers ahead of them) that things are getting rowdy up ahead, they’ll drift back into that parallel position and keep the rest of us in our places.

It can be frustrating being stuck behind a truck, but you have to appreciate the coordination and thought going in to it.

• TWChristine says:

Yea, as much as I really was looking forward to this..hearing that it’s in open Alpha my first thought was of teen idiots driving the wrong way to smash into other players for the lulz. Been then I realized, that there’s probably not many kids that would’ve bought this game in the first place, and those that did to see what all the hubbub was about, probably wouldn’t care to go back. It’s also a fairly big world (depending on how many people are on each server) so you might not really run into much stuff. So my Interest-O-Meter went back up and I think I’ll give it a shot.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Stop it. Stop having faith in humanity, you bright and happy soul.

• TWChristine says:

The best part about that is I’m currently talking to someone about how pessimistic I usually am :D

5. Simon_Scott says:

Forgot when and where I picked up the game – Steam sale probably. Started playing it for giggles, then found myself in the dark, in the rain, wipers going, UK commercial radio on. I passed services and felt a weird pang echoing forwards from a childhood longing for excursions to Julie’s Pantry. Beautiful restful melancholy. (And then I pranged it on the hard shoulder, probably).

6. cpy says:

I tried it, outside on far ends of map it’s lifeless solitude, in big cities in center of map it is overcrowded with idiots trying to jump queues, ramming others and behave like total morons. Welcome to any public server of any public game.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Its the shock and surprise that such a thing should happen that hurts the most

• TWChristine says:

*sigh* Although I do believe that in time it’ll calm down. Let the idiots get their initial crap out, and then the only people left will probably be the people that actually want to do stuff. I tried several times and I just kept getting disconnected and told that spot was reserved or something.

• phreddo says:

Wow, too bad. Reminds me when Just Cause multiplayer was being tested. Total chaos everywhere!

• TWChristine says:

After having finally been able to get in I’ve come away with some brief observations..

It seems most people are really bad at backing up, but it’s probably exacerbated by the fact that the handling seems much faster/odd than normal. I was attempting a 3 point turn, did the first part and before I could change to reverse, my truck started backing up on its own (on a flat surface). Attempts at applying small amounts of gas and steering corrections lead to careening all over.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Sounds like the GTA “friction off” mod but with less… flight

7. mechabuddha says:

How does the mod handle sleeping? Inquiring minds need to know!

• cpy says:

In 2 ways:
      either it’s bugged and not working or you get hour or so every 10 seconds, in my case it’s bugged.

8. racccoon says:

This may end up funny as hell or a good team thing. either way it will please you in some way i’m sure.
    Just whats wrong with the devs about not doing it in first place baffles me. Maybe it was the “wall crunching” that would happen, who knows, its good game though :)

9. The Random One says:

That video looks like an Italo Calvino short story.

10. kathyrhitch says:

my neighbor’s step-sister makes $89 /hour on the internet . She has been fired for 9 months but last month her pay was $12537 just working on the internet for a few hours. website link=========>>>>

​www.cash29.com

11. oliv897 says:

It’s rubbish guys just full of griefers that would rather own the road than actually play it as it’s meant to be played…

I won’t return until either…

1, Private Servers
    2, No-Collision anywhere on the map not just in cities
    3, some sort of RL policing in the game to permanently ban people from driving who get into to many accidents (perhaps make it so they can only ride shotgun for 6 months?)

Anyhow right now it is Call of Duty: Trucks! so don’t bother with it…