EVE Valkyrie Goes UE4, Picks Up Battlestar’s Starbuck

By Nathan Grayson on May 2nd, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

I’ve played EVE Valkyrie at so many events that, last time I climbed into its virtual cockpit (GDC), I immediately decided I’d try and break it. Mostly, this entailed me standing up and seeing if my “head” would pass right through the cockpit’s glass, and – much to my surprise and elation – it did. Sadly, I did not immediately die of explosive decompression. Oh well. But I guess what I’m saying is, we really haven’t seen much of this game’s, er, game yet. Just the same tiny war, waged eternally, its cadre of wind-up toy soldiers none-the-wiser. There will be more to it, though. That’s why CCP is bringing on Battlestar Galactica‘s Katee Sackhoff – aka, Starbuck – to voice Valkyrie’s lead pilot in missions. And it’ll all happen in Unreal Engine 4, because the gaming industry has forgotten other engines exist.

CCP made both announcements at this weekend’s EVE Fanfest in Reykjavik. Then that perfect moment was turned into a press release, as all things should be.

“The first time I played EVE: Valkyrie I immediately knew I had to be a part of it,” said Sackhoff. “Even with the roles I have played, it is the closest I have ever felt to being a real spaceship pilot. It is a truly transformative video game experience.”

“Katee is the perfect actor to bring Rán to life,” added Owen O’Brien, executive producer for EVE: Valkyrie at CCP. “Not only does she have a track record in bringing strong female characters to life, but also once she had played Valkyrie I was delighted to see that she was as excited and enthused about the project as we are.”

This is pretty cool news, though. For one, it implies that Valkyrie is going to have some kind of semi-robust storyline, and for two I really liked Battlestar Galactica until the last season imploded on itself. I could do with a little more Starbuck in my life if CCP decides to take that route with Sackhoff’s character.

EVE Valkyrie still doesn’t have a concrete release date, though it’s pretty safe to assume it’ll be launching with the consumer version of the Oculus Rift. So either late this year or sometime in 2015 is probably what we’re looking at. Are you ready to shoot some Cylo– er, space ships?

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. bleeters says:

Perhaps this isn’t really fair with regards to CCP, but something about the last couple of years has made me instinctively recoil in horror whenever I see the words “pre-alpha footage”.

Still, this sounds more interesting the more I hear. If only I wasn’t, y’know, completely terrible at these kinds of things.

Cinek says:

pre-alpha = design stage.
      So… either it’s just a 3D render made to picture the design concept, or we simply have yet another instance where developers incorrectly using terms to describe stages of the game development they are on.

• BraindeadGeo says:

That isn’t accurate at all. You think before a game gets to Alpha it’s all faked with nothing playable?

DeVadder says:

To be honest though, the game is perfectly playable with premade teams and all the combat and kill tracking and stuff like that is there. And they let people play it to show them how it looks like. So i would say in the traditional meaning, this is pretty much exactly an alpha.

• pupsikaso says:

Developers are doing no such thing. Marketting is. And you don’t need me to tell you what the folks in marketting are like.

2. DatonKallandor says:

What the hell happened to Valkyrie? It looks terrible all of sudden. The previous (other engine?) footage looked miles better, including a cleaner UI and less game-ified combat. They even screwed up the cockpit.

• DanMan says:

As the text clearly NOT says, they switched from Unity to UE4, starting from scratch in January. Considering that, it’s pretty good.

The demo doesn’t seem to use the Oculus though – the head movements are too abrupt.

DeVadder says:

It was playable on Rifts at the Fanfest though and it looked pretty nice from within.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Now they must hire Dirk Benedict.

4. frightlever says:

Starwut? You mean Vic Moretti.

5. Paul says:

“Blah blah blah, etc. People are doing things and pretending to be space ship pilots and they’re excited about it yeah.”

This was hilariously cynical.

• Caiman says:

What’s hilarious is that Mr Cynicism had the exact same reaction himself when playing Valkyrie for the first time (I quote “In Valkyrie, I was there. Everything was massive and fatal and terrifying, and a new HD Oculus Rift kit only made that all the more apparent. That brittle pane of glass separating me from an infinite, unyielding vacuum suddenly felt much, much thinner.”). He even cited Battlestar Galactica. Go read it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/25/impressions-eve-valkyrie/#more-174074

Now he’s taking the piss out of a celebrity for having the exact same reaction and putting it down to PR fluff? I’d say I expected better, but these day with RPS, not so much.

6. HiFiHair says:

What do you hear?

7. sabasNL says:

Valkyrie isn’t really progressing, DUST was a failure. I guess CCP should’ve sticked with EVE.

8. Chedruid says:

You really looove Eve in RPS, don’t you? :)

9. SuicideKing says:

THE MISSILE LOCK IS PERFECT. STAR CITIZEN SHOULD USE THIS.

10. Brognir says:

Kindof reminds me Mark Hamill being hired to play Blair in Wing Commander 3. Hope it ends better for her.