Another Another World: The Way Arrives On Kickstarter

By Adam Smith on May 6th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Another World made such a powerful impact on my young mind that I’m willing to overlook the trials and errors involved, preferring to remember the grace of the animation, and the sense of alienation and companionship. I’d never played anything like it and can’t think of a similar game since that has lived up to those memories. The Kickstarter for otherworldly platformer The Way doesn’t require my Delphine-branded rose-tinted glasses. Another World is a clear inspiration – just look at the shields and the alien beast if – but the video isn’t reliant on flashbacks (reference very much intended). It’s a pretty piece of sci-fi.

The integration of puzzles into the tech built into the planet’s environments makes me think of The Dig. Now there’s a game that disappointed me. Everything about the story and the characters grabbed me straight away, and the slightly harder edge to the science was appealing. That would be quite the adventure. Here’s the story:

Without giving too much away, The Way tells a story about a member of space explorers team, who lost his beloved one and cannot accept her death. Finding ancient writtings on eternal existence during one of his last expeditions makes him come back there in search of the meaning of life itself.

With $20,000 already poured into the product, the team are seeking a final $15,000 (Canadian) and aiming for a September release for Windows, Linux and Mac. Ten Canada Bucks will get you an early bird copy and when they run out, the price goes up to fifteen.

, , .

1. lucilapbroadhurst says:

Start working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do……. JOBS333.C­O­M

Tom De Roeck says:

WOW RPS HAS TURNED INTO A BLOG HOW DARE IT

Tom De Roeck says:

I WISH KICKSTARTER WOULD JUST GO AWAY AND DIE WHY IS RPS PROMOTING THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOUR

Tom De Roeck says:

I THINK RPS IS STUPID HOW ELSE CAN YOU EXPLAIN ALL THE HORRIBLE ARTICLES ON THINGS THAT ARE SHIT

Tom De Roeck says:

MANS ARE BEING TREATED BADLY TOO WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING oh wait wrong article

• Bull0 says:

Thing is, the article’s been up for nearly two hours and you’re the only one commenting, so whoever you’re lampooning, they don’t seem to be in attendance.

• Hahaha says:

It’s me, becuase I think adam did a shit job on the air control article

“@noneconomical someone quite hates you for this right now. (see the comments)”
        “@TomDeRoeck ha – precisely why I posted it. Not to be hated but because there seem to be more games like it cropping up. Release lists >
        @TomDeRoeck clogged with titles that seem to be proudly terrible. Becoming increasingly irritated and grumpy about it.”

https://twitter.com/TomDeRoeck – Tom De Roeck
        https://twitter.com/noneconomical – Adam

And they have always been a blog tom they just used to put effort behind what they wrote instead of advertising absolute shite, adams article does not reflect those tweets.

also the rehash of player diaries from years ago to try and recatch those good old days is just sad

• Adam Smith says:

Is a post about a game always ‘advertising’ the game? Air Control struck me as an example of precisely the sort of wilfully terrible product that seems to be cropping up more and more often, and I called it out on that. It’s one part of a different issue and because a couple of people drew my attention to it, it’s the one I expressed my irritation toward this morning.

I spent the first half of the post writing about Jazzpunk because it’s the well-crafted comedy counterpoint to a lot of the games that have broken design and physics instead of actual jokes. You’re more than welcome to dislike the post but it wasn’t an advert for Air Control.

• Hahaha says:

They all are just depends on if it’s good or bad publicity and imo the article is dancing around in the middle instead of calling it out for what it is.

• Bull0 says:

So it’s shitty meta-commenting. Got it. Since it bears no relevance to this post it should probably be deleted as spam.

• The Random One says:

Could you (or some other kind soul) post that Twitter exchange in such a way that I can actually parse who is saying what to whom?

€: nm I got it. I still recommend against using simple copy & paste to repost Twitter.

6. WhatKateDoes says:

I see the Another World reference, but actually reminds me more of classic Amiga point’n'clicker “Universe” – which aside from having a somewhat crappy premise “eccentric uncle’s weird invention transports nephew Boris to another world” has bags of atmosphere, and really good soundtrack (for an Amiga game)

Link in case xhtml doesn’t work:

• psuedonymous says:

“really good soundtrack (for an Amiga game)”
      Has someone invented that device to let you stab people in the face over the internet yet?

ErraticGamer says:

Forcing the word “way” into every line of their pitch is more annoying than effective.

That said, nice art style. Looks like it could have promise.

• The Random One says:

Would you say it’s way more annoying than effective?

8. geldonyetich says:

Funny how the keyphrase here is, “There’s no way I can accept she’s dead” when, in terms of Another World, surely this would better apply to Lester Knight Chaykin’s sudden and pointless death on the SEGA Genesis sequel “Heart of the Alien.”

9. spathi says:

Please leave Another World alone. This ‘another way’ is simply trying to catch a ride on another world’s fame.