Road To Joy: American Truck Simulator Images

By Adam Smith on May 6th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

you can keep yer GTA V

When Euro Truck Simulator 2 worked its way into my dreams, I hoped that it might be the first in a convoy of vehicular profession simulators. Sadly, OMSI aside, the so-called simulators that I’ve tried since have mostly mirrored John’s experiences with Woodcutter Simulator 2013. I love the idea of performing tasks that don’t involve guns death and destruction while journeying through a recreation of the real world, or something like it. The beauty of Euro Truck Simulator has little to do with the transportation of goods or business management – it’s a game about driving and watching the world go by. That’s why images of follow-up American Truck Simulator are as exciting as any stills I’ve seen this year. They’re below.

Click for the full size versions.

Oh yes. No release date has been given but here are some of the plans.

We don’t want to release even the initial version of the game (which frankly will only be a “slice” of the future big whole-continent 100+ cities vision of the complete game) with unlicensed vehicles. We have been through the trouble with ETS2, and it complicates things just too much. We want to set the bar high and push for maximum fidelity, and proper branding when vehicles are introduced into the game is very important to have our game taken seriously.

On the world content side, the team building the game has been growing, and we see real magic happening in the map! But as with everything, it is a balancing act – the more detail we put in, the longer it takes to build. We need to get our content creation pipeline into the best possible shape for the initial game release to be able to support it with a stream of additional content releases down the line.

How long until we see World Truck Simulator? How long until we can drop the trucks and just have a roadtrip game? How long until a multiplayer mod that lets us recreate Duel?

, , , , .

1. Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

looks good. I hope they add more depth and interaction than was in the quite good ETS2 though. I felt it became a bit shallow after playing the game for a while.

• fish99 says:

I think the problem was once you’d done a long haul delivery, the game never became any harder. Earning money to build a fleet was too quick and easy, so you were just left with playing to see the cities and scenery, and let’s face it the scenery is pretty generic and the cities are just identical industrial estates with a city backdrop.

They had the right idea with timed missions and delicate/volatile loads but they were too forgiving, and even when you did badly you’d still earn money. I think some dynamic road conditions would help, with varying traffic levels, jams, random roadworks and accidents, severe weather etc. Then make the timed/volatile missions an actual challenge and make earning money more dependent on how well you did the mission.

• Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

A real weather module with snow/winter would be awesome. I mean, finally a good use for the 6×4 or whatever its called, grip. Black ice. Fun!

• Notelpats says:

There is a “hard mod” which significantly reduces the amount of money you get from missions, and therefore makes mistakes much more punishing.

• P.Funk says:

The biggest problem is that the driving of the trucks itself was one of the shallowest aspects. The hardest thing a trucker has to do is backup a trailer, yet in ETS2 that was hardly difficult given the absurdly large and unpopulated loadbays you’d deliver to. I actually would get angry when I’d spend 45 minutes transporting something only to be welcomed by a totally empty barren lot without even painted lines to indicate the space you’re parking it into.

It is so shallow a gameplay experience that you can’t even have a hard mode if you tried without modding. The worst part is that SCS has said themselves that they have zero desire to make the game any bit harder or the simulation of the trucks any bit more realistic because they aren’t interested in marketing to that niche, instead they want to ensure the game is as accessible as possible and that means easy.

Its all rather annoying to be frank. Compared to OMSI its just a yawn. In OMSI its a simulation seeking to represent the actual buses, the actual routes, the actual experience of doing that job in that place in that time in that vehicle. ETS and its ilk is just a fake experience, seeking to give the impression of trucking while not actually asking you to do much more than navigate a GPS map.

*sigh*

2. Keyrock says:

Truckin’, got my chips cashed in
    Keep truckin’, like the doo dah man
    Together, more or less in line
    Just keep truckin’ oooooooooooooooon

Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on main street
    Chicago, New York, Detroit, it’s all on the same street
    Your typical city involved in a typical daydream
    Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings

Dallas, got a soft machine
    Houston, too close to New Orleans
    New York, got the ways and means
    But just won’t let you be, oh no

• Fry says:

Ugh. If there’s one band I never want to hear from again…

Henke says:

All I do is drive, drive, drive
      try to stay alive
      Keep my mind on my load
      keep my eyes on the road
      I got nothin in common with any man
      who’s home every day by five
      All I do is drive, drive, drive

Arnvidr says:

Instant buy!

welverin says:

They should definitely include Vermont, so real good scenery there.

5. Hahaha says:

Tumbleweeds

• KDR_11k says:

Tumbleweeds are supposedly not native to the Americas?

• TWChristine says:

Fun little story tidbit: I was once chased by a tumble weed when I was a kid. It was either one really massive one, or several stuck together (it was about 6ft across), and while I was out playing I look up to see this massive thing rolling at me. I ended up saving myself by ducking behind a monkey-bar type apparatus at the last second, just as it smashed against it. People always laugh because “Oh, it’s just a big dry plant!” and I say “Yes..but those things have SPIKES. And they’re sharp. And they hurt.” The whole time I was running I was imagining myself getting run over and spiked to death.

Gap Gen says:

That sounds terrifying. When I was a kid I was scared of being stung by nettles, not chased by death plants three times my size.

• Hahaha says:

XD

6. jonahcutter says:

The Duel. Or Convoy.

7. rockman29 says:

Oooh, very nice. I am from this side of the Atlantic, so I have an affinity for our Western hemisphere trucks. Will keep my eyes on this :)

8. fluffy_thedestroyer says:

I can’t wait to get in a traffic jam… lol

9. Keyrock says:

I wonder if they’ll go for maximum authenticity and have people cut you off on the road then flip you off?

10. Paul says:

You know, this team is so talented and awesome (and my fellow czech), I wish they made a game like ETS, but for normal cars. I am not really interested in trucks, but I would love just cruising around europe/US/asia/whatever in some nice normal car, ranging from Skoda to Lamborghini. Maybe doing courrier/transporter jobs or something.
    Maybe The Crew will give me that, at least partially. Thank god it has cockpit view.

• Prolar Bear says:

Totally agreed. I reckon it’d be pretty easy for the devs to add a playable car.

I think there are car mods for ETS2 too.

11. CookPassBabtridge says:

Please come out in august when I get my Rift. I plan to book a months holiday if that happens

12. J Arcane says:

Fuck.

Will play.

In the meantime, if you’re looking for another ‘simulator’ game in a vehicular mode, Car Mechanic Simulator is actually pretty good, if a bit simplistic and linear. Still, it’s just the right kind of frustrating combined with relaxing, without having to get your hands greasy.

13. Moraven says:

Wonder if they will include oil field trucking on dusty gravel roads and high traffice 2 lane state highways. Gotta be out in the country and not just the big cities!

14. Jerppa says:

I can’t believe I’m actually looking forward to this. I tried ETS 2 for laughs and suddenly realized that I’ve been driving around for two hours.

15. JohnnyPanzer says:

These articles are among my favorites on RPS. The ones about insanely detailed simulators of insanely mundane professions.

It opens up a window into a world I will never understand, but am still fascinated by. It’s hard to explain. I SORTA get it, but at the same time it confuses the hell out of me. I get the craving for absolute realism in subjects that are far removed from action, because I love that kind of crap in most games and I’ll gladly spend hours just following the traffic rules in GTAIV or taking the scenic route by foot in an MMO. I’m also very fond of mining in EVE. And yet, when I’m confronted by the games made for that purpose and that purpose alone, I tend to go “Wait… what?!”.

I mean no offense either, we all have our weird hobbies, but being able to take a peak behind the curtain of this entire world full of lovingly crafted Mundane Simulator 2014 games almost borders on voierism for me. I love the fact that somewhere out there, someone is playing a public transportation sim for days on end, marvelling at how in THIS version, the textures for the little button you press to open the door have twice the resolution and pauses the game only to post on the forums that the developers sadly missed the correct hue of the button by a few percent.

Seriously, I’m not trying to mock anyone, I honestly LOVE that such a world exists and I’m very glad I’m able to sneak a peak through the eyes of RPS. More, more, moooooore!

(If at all possible, try to find even more obscure simulators to report about. Insurance Claim Regulator 2014, Grocery Store Clerc 2012, Factory Line Simulator: Unlimited, First Floor Window Cleaner Simulator 2014, things like that. I will read every goddamn article you publish on the subject!)

• fish99 says:

You should try it. It was kind of a breakout hit, in that a lot of the people who bought it weren’t into these kind of mundane simulators, but bought it based on seeing a youtuber or twitch streamer playing it (usually badly), and then found to their surprise that it was actually kinda fun.

It’s a good game for just sticking on some music, relaxing and enjoying the scenery.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Its the ultimate Holy Shit I Didnt Expect to Love It game.

• JohnnyPanzer says:

Sadly, I don’t have the time. With two kids and trying to get into a university education (at age 37. Hooray for bad life choises!) I barely get to play Kerbal Space Program…

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Ooh cool. Good luck with the uni thing. What you going to study?

16. Plinglebob says:

One of the best things about America whenever I’ve been is how much space there is and how open a lot of places feel compared to (relatively) cramped Europe. As long as they manage to capture that feeling, this will be a day one purchase for me.

• worldoesnotend says:

Seconded, I live near the outer banks in North Carolina and have driven cross country (east-west a few times in the last 5 or so years for work. Say what you will bout Merica, its got some incredible scenery. I really hope they don’t focus too heavily on the big cities and fill in some of the stuff between the major population centers. Its like you said the vastness is a big part of the sensation. Moving through those sort of spaces, and the transition between them is the key to ‘that feeeling’ or whatever IMO. I’d seen pictures of the California coast and the desserts and mountains but its unlike anything I have every seen leaving San Diego and the cool rocky coast and heading east over the mountains. They are like nothing Ive seen anywhere else. It was like giant piles of boulders, from the size of my car to my house, piled up like an impression of a mountain. In July it was 71 F in SD and an hour later I was coming down the other side of the mountains into the Imperial Valley where the temp was something like 108 F. Its sort of dessert (scrubland ?) but when the first european settlers got there they irrigated it with gravity fed canals and created this juxtaposed patchwork of perfectly green square fields of alfalfa grass and dry orange parched dirt. Anyway thats just a few hours worth of driving and not really what I’d call the best scenic drive but its got variety though. Sadly, after that interesting bit is a lot of straight interstate hours with little to recommend it…and Texas :)

TL:DR
      None of the big cities I’ve been to or passed through have any thing on all the stuff in between them. If they can condense some and be selective in what they put in they could capture a lot of these sorts of things.

Chaz says:

Whilst I am really looking forward to this, I still wouldn’t mind them finishing with Europe first. It’d be nice to be able drive down to the Med for instance, especially through Spain which is completely missing from ETS2. Same goes for the northern Scandinavian countries like Sweden, Norway and Finland.

• TWChristine says:

I completely agree. I was hoping they would go right to the Northern Europe for the first expansion, and then after they announced the Eastern one I thought “Ok, surely it’ll be next!” And then they announced the US version of the game.

To be honest, when I saw the article I was going to ask how many people were even interested in driving in the US in the first place, but so far it seems like most people are. I guess it’s just the “something being different is interesting” kind of idea, which would explain why I (living in Canada) could care less for the N. American version and am more interested in the Euro one!

• ulix says:

There’S a couple of DLC Addons for ETS which I would’ve liked to see first.
      France, Spain, Southern Italy, The Balkans, more of Eastern Europe, and of course Scandinavia.

Problem I had with ETS2 was that although the graphics were very pretty and very shiny, none of the open road-areas of the game felt very vast or even very open. When I look right or left from some real streets in Germany I see sweeping landscapes, towns and mountains in the distance, etc.

In ETS2 the furthest you could see right and left was maybe 200 meters…

• TWChristine says:

I completely forgot to mention that there is a mod for Scandinavia. It was working up to the last patch before the addition of multiplayer. I read somewhere that MP uses a separate .exe (or some such) so you might be able to still use the mod on the base game..I just haven’t gotten around to checking yet.

• Hahaha says:

If they model some bolivian roads it would be sweet XD

• apa says:

Finland is easy.. put a narrow road and line it with continuous forest on both sides. Add fields if in west/south.

18. CookPassBabtridge says:

Twuckth <3

19. hemmingjay says:

I am equally excited about this as any major release in the last 5 years! Driving cross country in the US can be a deeply spiritual experience for a person, especially with the right soundtrack. Driving the great open expanse of the vast southwest at night just isn’t the same without mescalin though.

20. The Random One says:

Not interested… not unless it is South American Truck Simulator.

My cellphone is apparently very interested though, since when I tried to write ‘interested’ it instead wrote ‘interstate’.

21. racccoon says:

I like the game but it frustrating forced to go down enclosed walls,
    If they were to make it like a bit gta in a few ways, a little more freedom, being able to step out and buy shit on foot, sleep, have coffee etc etc it would be a REAL SIMULATOR. as it is currently, a game with fixed wall enviroments, its not really a simulator of truckers life is it?

jrodman says:

It’s bizarre to me that the San Francisco skyline is already out of date, like as of around 3 years ago.