Steam Who? – Humble Bundle’s Spring Sale

By Nathan Grayson on May 7th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Is there going to be a spring Steam sale? Or has Valve finally elected to give its wearied money counters – their abacuses gnarled and gnawed on, fear and desperation write large on waxen wood – a brief respite? I’m not entirely sure it matters now, though, as Humble has elected to fire the first shot with a sale of its own, and it’s off to a damn impressive start. Check it out for deep discounts on games like South Park: The Stick of Truth, Batman: Arkham Origins, Broken Age, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and Thief. Tons more below.

The Humble Spring Sale includes hundreds of discounts and will also bring daily flash sales. It will run until May 21st. There really is a staggering amount on sale here, though the Humble Store’s rather abysmal organization options make it tough to sort through. Many of the best deals are on the first page, but not all of them.

In addition to the games listed above, standouts include Sir, You Are Being Hunted from Jim Rossignol, Sir You Are Being Hunted from Jim Rossignol, Sir, You Are Being Hunted from Jim Rossignol, SIR YOU ARE BEING HUNTED FROM JIM ROSSIGNOL, AND–

Kidding. RPS neither supports nor endorses the handsome brigand Jim Rossignol, nor do we dress up as him and take pictures of ourselves for the newspaper when J. Jonah Jameson comes knocking.

For real, though, my personal highlights are Eldritch, Kentucky Route Zero, System Shock 2, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Antichamber, Darksiders 2, and Natural Selection 2. All of those are nearly half off or more, and that’s just the beginning of the list. Admittedly, a lot of the non-front-page games are older, but there’s still a ton here to dig into.

Have you bought anything yet? If so, what’s your haul looking like?

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Drake Sigar says:

*Strokes wallet* Bide your time, Mr Leathers. Bide your time.

• Ross Angus says:

*Opens wallet, allows money to fall out* Fly, my pretties, fly!

• Spacewalk says:

I folded all of my bills into planes so that they will fly faster and more accurate and that took some doing with Australian plastic money.

2. Armante says:

I’ve bought quite a few Humble Bundles to date, as well as having some Kickstarters redeem trhough them, but I’ve not yet bought any games directly.

I do prefer having all my games listed in Steam for ease of access, updating etc. Having some on GoG and Desura mostly means I forget I own them at all. I have i fact once bought a game on Steam to only later discover I already had it elsewhere..

• AngelTear says:

All the games on the Humble store that are on Steam also activate on Steam. Some of them *only* activate on Steam, as there is no DRM-free version.

• Armante says:

Hmm. I should have known that I suppose. Many bundle games came with keys. Thanks AngelTear :)

Does it mention whether or not Steam keys are included on game’s pages?

• natendi says:

Haha this. Think there was a good Humble Bundle featured on RPS where some games were Steam, some Steam/Origin and some only Origin. I’m very forgetful of Origin.

3. marbled says:

Without any spoilers, can someone tell me if the Walking Dead season 2 is worth getting? I enjoyed the story of the first season but found the actual gameplay quite stilted – has this been improved or is it more of the same?

• marbled says:

Hi Angeltear,

I try to avoid WITs for games with strong narrative components as I find that even the very vague spoilers slightly impact on my experience of playing (hinting that there’s a surprise means you’re always looking for the upcoming surprise…)

That said, fair comment!

• Adam Smith says:

It’s more of the same but I thought the second episode was the strongest in the series so far (including season one). There’s a broader narrative thrust rather than the focus on survival and protection, and I’m finding it much more unpredictable.

If I wasn’t reviewing, I’d probably wait for the entire season to be ready. A story so character driven could become frustrating quite quickly if the writing doesn’t maintain its quality. I’m not quite sure about where it seems to be heading at the moment but keen to find out.

• DrollRemark says:

Thanks Adam, I was also avoiding the WiTs because I’ve yet to finish Season 1. Now that it’s on such a good offer here, I think I’ll have to go for it.

• marbled says:

Thanks Adam – I think I’ll wait for the season to end, and then get it in whatever the next sale is…

4. AngelTear says:

A couple of less known, heavily discounted games:

- All the Pixeljunk games are definitely worth it. My favourite is Eden, but look at them and give them a chance.
    - Waking Mars was suggested to me by someone in the Bargain Bucket comments, it’s nothing special but it’s definitely fun, and with original “different” gameplay. (You manage an ecosystem)

• Philomelle says:

I think what disappointed me the most about Waking Mars was that its most powerful moment wasn’t tied to the gameplay or the plot. To me, it was when you secured the vertical shaft in the center of the cave system, at which point you could simply sit around there and chat with your partner on the radio. The stories she and the protagonist share are surprisingly touching, well-written and possibly the highest point of the game.

It saddened me because while the rest of the game is decent, what felt like its highest point involved not playing it.

• Lemming says:

I loved Waking Mars. Apart from the dialogue. It should’ve been a silent affair.

5. karthink says:

I thought all Humble store games were DRM-free. Don’t the AAA offerings (Arkham Oranges, South Park) mandate Steam?

EDIT: Oh, here’s a recommendation for Dragonfall: It’s great. It felt like Baldur’s Gate Lite, with fewer RPG systems but writing that’s at least as good. 12 hours of Shadowrun intrigue with many memorable characters.

• basilisk says:

The Humble Store is not strictly DRM-free. Just hover your mouse over a game, they have a system of icons showing the particulars for each title.

• InternetBatman says:

I agree with your take on Dragonfall. I moderately enjoyed the first Shadowrun, and Dragonfall is a major step up from that.

• Jonfon says:

I agree with your agreement. Dragonfall is a great wee game with a fair chunk of the issues I had with the first ironed out. Excellent writing goes a long way towards making it far more engrossing than Dead Mans Switch. Hope Harebrained have more in store.

• InternetBatman says:

Sadly the email they sent out to backers makes it seem unlikely. I wouldn’t be surprised if the game has a very long tail though decent rpgs are fairly rare, and decent non-medieval rpgs are incredibly rare.

• subedii says:

On that note, are there any heavily recommended campaigns to try out?

My experiences with fan-made mods is often positive. My experiences with fan-made narrative writing, typically less-so.

6. ks71 says:

So far I’ve reined myself in; some of the games I have on my wishlist/watchlist are on sale, but I’m waiting to see if any get put on a flash sale. So far my buys have been Rogue Legacy and Psychonauts, with the Sonic Hits Collection for my husband (he’s not much of a gamer, but nostalgia stuff or good games relating to media he likes I can generally persuade him to look at).

However, it’s only the second day of the sale, so all can change.

7. Lemming says:

The ‘Steam who’ is slightly ironic given that the first thing I did when buying South Park was retrieve a Steam key. Hail Gaben!

8. Col says:

Do not fall for the Kentucky Route Zero hype – it is a very beautiful point and click game, nothing more, and certainly not the best PC game of 2013…

• Ross Angus says:

Fiddlesticks! (excuse my language)

OK, more seriously, in terms of gameplay, you are quite correct. There is nothing here innovative.

I think the reason we’re all so ruddy excited about it is that it’s introducing ideas we’ve seen in other mediums, but which have been out of reach for games. It hints at what (one tiny corner of) the games industry could become in the future.

• bills6693 says:

Can you elaborate? Always been a bit curious, but never really sure. What sets it aside so much from other good point & clicks, there are ones out there with great stories already…

• Adam Smith says:

I’m writing a WIT of Act III right now but it might be best to ignore that if you haven’t played the first two parts yet. But I’d say a huge part of the excitement is that it draws from areas that most games don’t acknowledge. It’s canon of references and allusions is all manner of great 20th century art, with a leaning toward architecture and theatre.

It’s playing with ideas and techniques, verbal and visual, that aren’t normally represented in gaming. Or at least not in games made on this scale. It has about as much in common with most point and click adventures as Lynch has with Spielberg or Beckett does with Andrew Lloyd Webber.

• Ross Angus says:

What Adam said, basically. Just to clarify: it’s not making references to obscure plays, novels and art (or if it is, that knowledge is not required to enjoy it). But it somehow presents these ideas in a way which reminds me of some great stuff.

Things happen in the game – unusual things – and you don’t understand exactly why they happen, but the mood is familiar. It’s quite difficult to talk about, without referencing other work. Say The Trial by Franz Kafka, for example. The way Kafka throws K into a world which makes no sense, where sex seems just below the surface is uncannily like the logic of a dream – especially as K himself accepts the world at face value. KRZ gave me this feeling too. The world is strange, but the characters never remark upon it.

9. Tom Walker says:

Well there we go, then. If Humble Store covers Spring and Autumn in addition to Steam’s Summer and Winter, I can finally cut the troublesome ‘playing’ element out of my games hobby and keep it strictly to arranging wishlists and deciding which games I should have installed at the moment.

10. Gap Gen says:

I’m actually kinda burned out on sales. I guess it’s like going to the supermarket and buying everything that’s on discount, then realising you can never eat all of it and going back to buying what you actually want at full price.

• The Random One says:

If I had bought so much food that I could not possibly eat all of it I’d certainly eat that before I went back to buying more.

But I’m not just criticizing your metaphor here. I was feeling the same way last year. But this year I had a sudden yearning for playing a new sandbox crime game. So I installed Sleeping Dogs and started playing that. But it didn’t satisfy me. What I really wanted, I thought to myself, was a game with strong cover-based gun fights where you could take cover behind cars. I don’t why I wanted that specifically, but I did. So I installed Mafia II and it satisfied me. I solved my peckishness with two polished AAA games I’d bought years before for peanuts.

11. DrollRemark says:

If you haven’t bought Kentucky Route Zero yet then MY GOD WHY ARE YOU EVEN STILL READING MY POST GO GO NOW BUY IT DAMN YOU.

12. mindypnightart says:

Spend More Time With Your Children
    It does not matter if you work full time or part time. Maybe you stay at home with your children but you are working from home. Even if you stay home with your children, you are busy trying to get everything done. No matter who you are, you probably think that you are not spending enough time with your children. Quality time, that is. There are many ways to spend more time with your children.
    Your children do not need to play every sport or do every extracurricular activity out there. You could spend all of your time running your children from one practice to another. Pick just one or two activities that your children love and stick with them.
    Plan family dinners where everyone sits at the table, eats, and talks about their day.
    Make dinners special so everyone likes to spend time together while eating.
    Let your children help when you are working on things.
    They can help fix dinner, clean, and fix things. Children learn by watching and doing. Chores can turn into time together so that they are much more enjoyable.
    Do things that your children want to do.
    It is hard when the house is a mess but get on the floor and play with your children. Play games that they enjoy. Have a movie night and watch their favorite movie.
    Find things that you enjoy doing together.
    Arts and crafts can be a big hit. NightArt is helping bring parents and children together. You can design a drawing and watch it light up together.
    No one feels like they spend enough time with their children. However, you need to make the most of time spent together, instead of worrying if you are spending enough time together. Find things that you enjoy doing together, like NightArt. Check it out at http://www.nightart.org/fundus. It will bring out the artist in everyone, bringing families together.

13. suibhne says:

Not to be that guy…but Steam has bested many of these prices in the recent past, including the games that Nathan calls out as worthy of specific note here. A few equal or beat Steam sale prices (like Outlast), but almost all of these are inferior sales – sometimes in a big way.

That’s not to say that the Humble Store isn’t worthy of support – I’m a big fan overall, with ten or more bundles sitting in my user account. And purchasing here does give you the option of controlling your revenue split. Totally your call, but it’s important to add context to the news post.

• SuddenSight says:

These sales are done through the HB store, not as part of a bundle, so you don’t get to choose your revenue split. Unless you are referring to the fact that the store’s cut will go to Humble Bundle instead of Steam, which is true.

• suibhne says:

Ah, you’re totally right. Tho 10% does go to the charities listed at the top, so that might be a consideration for some folks buying via Humble rather than straight from Stream.

• bills6693 says:

Furthermore, for those outside the US its often a good deal. Unlike steam, which has the prices about 15-35% higher or sometimes even more (which is much more than the increased tax accounts for, although I’m always unsure if I’m even paying VAT on digital games).

Humble Bundle store seems to convert, for some but not all games, the US price into local currency and round it to a near number much more fairly. Thats why I have ended up buying several things on there today, and knowing this I will probably go back. Even things which are full price or have identical discounts, are cheaper on HIB due to this added cost on steam for being non-american (I’m in the UK myself).

And on another note, 10% does go to those 5 charities listed, although I’d rather be able to choose my own split at least between the charities (I don’t want to be giving to the EFF, happy to increase it to the others instead). Not a big deal though, and its for a good cause on the other counts :)

• Baines says:

Yes, from what I’ve seen, the Humble Store prices are barely at best competitive with the sales of other sites.

Though buying from Humble Store has always seemed to be more about making a statement, or just a way to get both a Steam key and a DRM-free copy of a game with a single purchase.

• wwwhhattt says:

I’ve noticed them being cheaper in the UK a fair bit.
        Don’t know if it’s getting the conversion right, or if they’re just ignoring VAT.

On an unrelated note, I found it quite funny that Luftrausers is 10% off again, saving… 70p.

14. Jason Moyer says:

I already own Sir You Are Being Hunted on Steam, but I’m seriously tempted to buy it again for the DRM-free version. Also, because the amount I paid for Early Access seems trivial for what has easily been the best game to come out so far this year.

• Themadcow says:

You, sir, have just won a year’s free online subscription to RPS. Congratulations!

• suibhne says:

It really is magnificent – almost like they were designing it specifically for ME. I picked it up on Early Access when there was a weekend sale, and it’s been my best Early Access purchase by far.

• Stellar Duck says:

If you backed it you should already have a DRM free version on the Humble site though.

At least I do.

• derbefrier says:

It is rather great. Also for some reason all those horror games i have played these years have never got a jump out of me. but the second a tweed wearing robot sneaks up behind me and lets off a shotgun blast I lost it and threw my mouse off my desk. ITs done that to me multiple times even. damn sneaky robots all i want is to chill for a minute and cook this meat i found.

15. CookPassBabtridge says:

Steam already fed me cheapo Scania Truck Simulator and the Shadowrun games. Not much to make me bite in the humble sale so far

16. Curratum says:

The Inner World, a charming point-click adventure that RPS rather liked is also on sale for very very cheap.

17. jrodman says:

Bizarrely, getting back into role playing games (with paper and such) has cured me of the need to buy things from Steam.

18. deadly.by.design says:

I may buy Nidhogg if it goes down to $7.50. It’s the kind of game that interests me on a party level, but not enough to drop the full $15. Sure, $15 isn’t much in the grand scheme of things, but I can also wait for a sale. Besides, who needs more Steam backlog?

19. Shrekeh says:

Just caught GB’s quicklook of Being Hunted…can someone ask Jim what’s up with what looks like smoothing errors on the rear sight of the rifle?

20. Octuplex says:

The sonic collection for 7.49? Definitely getting that. Worth it for generations alone! I didn’t know that the sonic adventure games were on PC… ooh, and sonic all stars racing transformed, I hear that’s good…

21. Gotem says:

wait, there is a game about punching bears in the face and you haven’t posted about it?

22. MaXimillion says:

The Humble guys really need to rethink the presentation of this sale. Steam does a great job with showing both actual prices and percentage discounts, as well as clearly distinguishing daily deals, flash sales and sale-long deals. The Humble front page looks like a complete mess in comparison.

23. DanMan says:

I thought about buying South Park: SoT, but before I could make up my mind, the offer was already gone. That was rude, in my not so humble opinion.

• jjman says:

Seeing as I just got home from a very long work day, I concur. I hate rapidly shifting ‘flash’ sales. My money stays mine.

• Vinraith says:

Sales are far too common these days for there to be any motivation on my part to chase discounts. It’ll be even cheaper shortly, I’m sure.