Slow Year: No New Need For Speed Until 2015

By Nathan Grayson on May 7th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

Need For Speed has been following the same blueprint – aka, Not Quite Burnout Paradise 2 – for a couple installments now, but EA’s decided to keep the franchise from going full Callssassin’s Dutycreed. At least, for now. While Need For Speed Rivals didn’t crash and burn by any means, EA and the former Criterion folks at Ghost Games have decided to take an extra year with the hope of producing something “dramatically different.” I hope it’s Need For Speed 2142 and also we can talk to the cars.

Executive producer and Ghost Games GM Marcus Nilsson explained in an open letter:

“Everyone here at Ghost Games in Gothenburg feels passionate about the Need for Speed franchise and Rivals was just the first step for us. We exist to make games that are constantly improving… games that push the boundaries of technology and innovation. Most importantly, we exist to make games that excite our fans.”

“We are already deep in development on our next game and want to make this promise to you: we will listen to you. We’re going to give you the game you’ve been asking for. It will be the game you deserve, but to do that will take us some time. We’ve made the decision to not release a Need for Speed in 2014, so we can work towards a highly innovative Need for Speed in 2015. An experience built on a foundation we know you’ll greatly look forward to.”

I have no idea what they’ll come up with, but it’s an admirable goal. Much as I adore Ghost Games’ Burnout lineage, it does feel like its time for a change.

But how? What do people look for when they buy a Need For Speed game these days, and what ground hasn’t the racing genre already covered? The notion of driving through incredibly precise replicas of real-world locations is pretty exciting, but games like The Club Crew already have that covered. So maybe something really fantastical and weird, ala San Francisco 2049? I really doubt EA would risk scaring off its less, er, fantastically inclined players for that, though.

What do you want to see Need For Speed – or even the racing genre – do that it hasn’t done yet?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Tony M says:

It will be the game you deserve

I’ve done nothing particularly admirable lately. So they are promising me a mediocre game. I want a better game than I deserve!

2. Prolar Bear says:

Good. Now stop mixing NFS and Burnout up, I don’t want to drift around every single corner.

Also, San Francisco 2049 was great, or at least 14-year old me thought so. CHECKPOINT

• PopeRatzo says:

That’s right, stop making your games because Prolar Bear said so.

• Keyrock says:

I don’t think Prolar Bear is suggesting they stop making games, I think he’s suggesting they pick either NFS or Burnout and make one or the other, rather than the hybrids they’ve been making for the last few years, and I agree with him.

3. rhmshady96 says:

A pause button would do it for me, thanks.

• Prolar Bear says:

Need for Speed: Exhausts of Vengeance

“THE DARK SOULS OF RACING GAMES”

• rhmshady96 says:

They should at least allow us to pause when playing offline.
        Oh look, burglars!
        But I’m just about to win the final race!
        Ugh. Choices.

• The Random One says:

I was going to playfully suggest you challenge the burglar to a race and thus solved both of your problems, but then realized that (1) you’d still need to quit your SP race to enter the MP mode and (2) you’re probably a PC player so the only way you can race the burglar would be if they had brought their computer and also had a copy of the game.

4. Harlander says:

Need For Speed 2142

Wipeout? Or Hi-Octane?

• Psyke says:

Oh the things I’d do for a new Wipeout game… The design, the speed, the soundtrack, I still love it (and every now and then play Pulse on my PSP) to this day. It’s a shame that SCE Liverpool was shut down.

• epeternally says:

Wipeout Pulse is phenomenal. It’s amazing what they managed to pull off on that little handheld. Is there a Wipeout game for Vita? If not, there really should be.

• Moraven says:

Wipeout 2048 for Vita was the last Wipeout before SCE Liverpool got shut down. It was a Vita launch title. It has some cross play with Wipeout HD (Pulse for the PS3 basically).

5. SuicideKing says:

I really just want a shiny looking remake of NFS II SE.

6. PopeRatzo says:

Crap. The new NFS is just about all I was living for, gaming-wise. So it’s at least another year of playing games filled with existential angst, wondering why I’m putting myself through this.

Like I don’t have enough existential angst already. Just give me a fast car, a virtual Pacific coast, some billboards to crash through and some Spotify radio stations, and I will send you all my goddamn money. Stupid Criterion. Or Ghost or whatever these lazy corporate assholes call themselves today.

7. Keyrock says:

Oh well, at least we have Project CARS to look forward to and GRID Autosport, if GRID Autosport does indeed wind up being the return to (TOCA) form Codies has been touting it as.

• PopeRatzo says:

Is GRID the one where you just go around and around a track? No cops chasing you or stunts? No thanks.

8. PopeRatzo says:

The notion of driving through incredibly precise replicas of real-world locations is pretty exciting, but games like The Club already have that covered.

Does anyone know if it’s still possible to buy and play The Club? I never played it, and now GFWL is gone. I can’t find it in any of the online stores.

9. AedanClarke says:

By the waaaaaaay, Nathan, the game you’re thinking of is The Crew. The Club was the third person shooter released back in ’08 by SEGA. So there you go. :P

10. elmo.dudd says:

“but EA’s decided to keep the franchise from going full Callssassin’s Dutycreed”
    Erm, 20 games in 20 years versus 11 games in 11 years versus 7 games in 7 years. Seems like EA led the way with NSF, and other franchises followed suit. But sure, drag other titles into a complaint about a franchise that has been doing it for longer than the cumulative time of both other titles.

11. fluffy_thedestroyer says:

I’ve bought High Stakes last on my pc and its great. personally, I think its the best one. its the classic race to me. from time trials, against NPC’s and cops … its great

12. fluffy_thedestroyer says:

What I look for…although not a racing fan but from what I remember with highstakes and the original nfs :
    1. high quality graphics that the game could FULLY use my gtx670… 120fps minimum
    2. lots of game modes from the classic time trials, against npc’s to LAN & internet multiplayer ( internet optionally but would be awesome)
    3. lots of cars to buy
    4. realistic physics including the crash models (fuck your licence. i want a crashed ferrari )
    5. NO STORY & no idiot movie cutscene – no tits, no ass, no breast. Just some cars, scenery and people to beat and shame
    6. AI that makes sense this time from beginners to “omg i’m gonna kill you”

I don’t think I’m asking too much :)

13. Delicieuxz says:

They should wipe everything following NFS Porsche Unleashed, and start with the real NFS 6 and then move forward again from there.

Black Box was utter shat.

14. spiff says:

I played NFS Rivals for a full two minutes, before realizing that there was no support for my steering wheel. I’m not sure if it’s been fixed now, but for a developer of a racing game to disregard this not so minor detail at release is unforgivable. The developer even confirmed the lack of support in the forums, it was not just a matter of configuration.

15. Josh W says:

How about a walking game? You’re walking round the track, which is a series of mountain rages, and trying to beat people while preserving your fluid and energy levels, and picking the right routes at different times to maximise efficiency.

There’s also fog which can role in and make certain routes dangerous.

Maybe it runs at faster than normal speed, maybe not.