Ride A Dinosaur In The Stomping Land Later This Month

By Alice O'Connor on May 7th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Dinomite!

You might think that taming and riding a nine-metre Carnotaurus would make you cock of the walk and king of the hill in a multiplayer dinosaur-hunting survival sandbox, but in The Stomping Land it merely gives you a shot at surviving encounters with the real predators. It’s a weird and fascinating sandbox, more towards the cruel DayZ end of the spectrum than the fluffy Minecraft side, and soon we’ll get to give it a go.

It’ll launch through Steam Early Access on May 30 at $24.99, developers SuperCrit have announced (and VG247 spotted). Come see a bit in a new trailer showing off hunting, crafting, warring, and dino-riding.

The Stomping Land is ultimately about trying to get a good meal by feasting upon really big dinosaurs. Your route to this delicious dino dinner will probably take you through joining a tribe, foraging, crafting, setting up camps, spearfishing, tracking, hunting, taming and riding dinos, and warring with other tribes. Dino-warring. Riding dinosaurs into battle, and using dinosaurs as weapons by luring them towards your foes. The big dinosaurs, the ones you really want to eat, will find, fight and kill each other, and your tribe wants to be the one scavenging the loser’s corpse.

It looks like a weird game filled with weird systems, in a good (but weird) way. You make your own camouflage by artfully arranging foliage about your person. Special whistling arrows can lure dinosaurs, and paint arrows will stop players from sneaking unseen. Tribes need totems to tame dinosaurs, and you can swipe them from other tribes. Rain will wash away paint and the footprints used to track dinosaurs. Healing herbs can only be foraged from pitch-black caves. You can snare players with bolas and drag them about. Stars in the night sky lead the way to the giant dinosaurs. If this post reads a bit odd and unfocused, well, that’s my head trying to make sense of it all. Hopefully these sorts of weird bits will interact in interesting and unexpected ways to create the delightful stories that can come out of sandbox games.

The initial Early Access release will only have a handful of dinosaur types and one small island to play on. SuperCrit say they’ll “move forward with updates based on a mix of accuracy and entertainment value.”

Here’s the new trailer:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SuicideKing says:

They seem to have put quite a bit of thought into the systems and the feel of the game…hope it does well. Probably one of the fresher ideas floating around.

Anyway, who doesn’t like shooting arrows?

2. SillyWizard says:

Oh my eff. I’ve been wanting to play a cave-man and/or American Indian-style game for quite some time now.

I hope this ends up being awesome.

3. rexx.sabotage says:

This gots dinos, DayZ has got Zomboids and Rust’s got that *ahem* ‘snake’ problem.

Is there some unspoken clause that all sandbox survival games need a gimmick to work?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Shhhh!

• Shodex says:

Based on your name, I take it your cynicism is stemming from some sort of offense related violence directed at dinosaurs. I apologize if you have been offended but I would like to address your comment either way.

What you refer to as a ‘gimmick’ is actually a ‘setting’, you see a setting is something you decide upon in the planning phase of a game’s development and it lays out what sort of things a game will have in it. For example, a shooter could be science fiction. Taking place in space, and the enemies are aliens. Or it could be modern, taking place in Russia against a fictional Russian enemy. Maybe it’s post apocalyptic, and it has zombies or mutants.

In this case it’s a fictional pre-historic setting where men and dinosaurs lived at the same time, a setting that is pretty uncommon in video games at the moment. All games have settings, all games have their own locations, enemies, weapons, mechanics. These things aren’t gimmicks, they’re what makes one game different from another. I’m sorry if this particular setting offends you, Mr. Rexx, but fear not there is still an undying horde of same-y zombie games constantly shambling it’s way onto Steam.

• SillyWizard says:

pwnt

• rexx.sabotage says:

Hey, if you want to roll around in a Jurassic Park flavoured sandbox that’s your prerogative, big ups to you! I prefer my settings to be the backdrop to the story not to a bar to entry in personal tastes and sensibilities – I was never really a big Turok fan.

On a side note, here’s a thing:

• SillyWizard says:

“Story” isn’t really a necessary element for games. If anything, historically speaking, an emergent story that arises from interacting with a game is the most appropriate relationship that “story” has to “game.”

Think Chess, Go, card-games, most board-games. Risk, Stratego, what-have-you. Narrative-driven video games tend to be crap because narrative and game-play usually work at cross-purposes. (Narrative works to direct a player to and through specific events, whereas game-play attempts to make the player feel that he is in control of some aspect of the game.)

A sandbox game such as this, in certain ways, is much more akin to a traditional, pre-video-games game than your narrative games are. The story is something that evolves as the player interacts with the game, and with other players.

Also — go re-read Shodex’s post and stop saying asinine things.

• Shodex says:

I have to ask then, how do you make a proper sandbox game? If we’re not allowed to pick a setting for our games be it zombies, dinosaurs, or ‘snakes’. My gripe is with your logic that any sandbox game with a setting is ‘gimmicky’.

So I’d like to ask, how do you make a non-’gimmicky’ sandbox game?

• rexx.sabotage says:

Whoa! calm down boss hoss and sidekick, no one is saying your enthusiasm for dinosaurs is improper. All I am saying is that some people are into zombies and dinos and some people aren’t. To have an entire game built around subject matter that tends to exclude as much as include different tastes is questionable in a marketing sense.

However, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a gimmick, being niche is the foundation of Indie game dev.

• SillyWizard says:

That’s just silly.

• Shodex says:

So the best sandbox game would be a game that panders to zombie fans and dinosaur fans?

• SuicideKing says:

@rexx that’s weird logic. A game should never try to appeal to everyone, it has to pick what it wants to do. A space sim will appeal to space sim fans. A truck simulator should focus on truck driving, roads and stuff like that. Flying a GTF Pegasus in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2335 makes no sense at all.

• derbefrier says:

Zombie dinosaurs is the next logical step here. Love zombies love dinosaurs then play the new survival game zombie dinosaurs(now with snakes!)

• Shodex says:

Sandbox zombie dinosaur survival game with snakes sounds cool, I guess. But what about fantasy, science fiction, and military shooter fans?

How about a sandbox zombie dinosaur survival game with magical snake wizards, set in space. Where you play an elite soldier who’s part of the US Navy Seals… and is actually a vampire.

• rexx.sabotage says:

SOLD! Here, take all my monies – LET’S DO THIS!

• Mollusc Infestation says:

I’ll be waiting for the Lego interpretation.

• The Random One says:

I’d just go the other way and create a sandbox game that exists in a giant featureless white void of infinite potential.

• sweetjer says:

I’ll going to play troll advocate here for a minute and just say I kinda get where he’s coming from insofaras a straight-up survival game w/ competition between players, persistent world, complexity of a simulation doesn’t NEED some fantastic setting to be appealing — and to a massive audience. Id say a lot of the appeal of this newish genre comes from the survival elements, persistent elements, permanent death, systems allowing for emergence in player interaction, etc not the specific setting (ie zombies) and personally I see these setting elements as a frivolity that takes time away from developers when they could be working on systems, etc. And if you play these games (rust, dayz) you know that the “setting” elements are incredibly poorly implemented at the moment (zombies in dayz, alpha mutant animals in rust). Anyway Rex if you really do want a vanilla survival experience check out the roguelike UnReal World.

• rexx.sabotage says:

Thanks for elaborating on my thought, I couldn’t be ass’d to do it. I am glad I got through to somebody. don’t even get me started on UnReal World, I talk about that damned awesome game anyplace I can crowbar in some flimsy pretext to do so. IT IS A TABLE-FLIPPING SHAME THAT WE ARE ALL NOT PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW!

4. Rizlar says:

Brought to you by the history channel!

Seriously though, this looks amazing. It’s like there is a giant dinosaur shaped hole in my life I didn’t know existed.

5. derbefrier says:

I may have to break my no early access rule for this. I guess i am a sucker for dinosaurs

6. rcguitarist says:

I’ll like it as long as 100% of the gameplay isn’t just f’ing over the other players. If the only thing people do while playing is kill as many other players as they can, then I might as well just play Battlefield.

7. Myrdinn says:

Day-Z with dinosaurs sounds kinda nice. But HOLY CRAP I’ve been searching Google for 10 minutes looking for the name of that one 90′s PC game where you crash on this island filled with dinosaurs. I remember being it extremely clunky as you could manipulate a lot of objects with it’s crappy physics engine. Searching on Google just brings up bs like Turok, Dino Island, Dino Beatdown, Dino Safari… AAAGHHH somebody help me out

8. Golden Pantaloons says:

Hmm, I hope it doesn’t turn out to be just another gank-the-newbs game like Rust but something more like Monster Hunter.

9. Delicieuxz says:

Is it a real dinosaur?

10. Delicieuxz says:

The most un-dinosaur foliage ever in a dinosaur game.

11. Scumbag says:

Is that guy riding a Carnotaurus?

12. psuedonymous says:

I like that they’ve pilfered Darker Than Black’s ‘stars as an entity map’ concept. It’s a great idea for putting that data into the environment in a seamless way.

13. Chaz says:

Is it a sandbox game? Reading the website it sounds more like a TDM style game than a persistent sandbox world.

Things like, you gain expertise as you survive longer, which you need to heal dinosaurs to make them your mounts. More expertise grants you bigger dino mounts. However if you die you lose all your expertise. Which makes the whole thing sound quite cyclic.

Also camp sites for spawning and totems to connect to your tribe. It all sounds more Planetside with dinos and spear chucking, rather than a DayZ or Rust inspired survival sandbox.

Since the whole game revolves around scrapping for hunting rights, presumably there’s some sort of starvation mechanic too, but that is not mentioned.

Comment on this story