Carmageddon: Reincarnation Alpha Update Crosses The Line

By Alice O'Connor on May 8th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Nab him jab him tab him grab him

One curious effect of vintage series rebooting and reviving as ‘Early Access’ releases is that they don’t make much of an impact. They meekly shuffle into the room wearing a taupe cardigan rather than down kicking the door in a leather jacket, carrying a six-pack in one hand and a boombox in the other, screaming “Let’s do this you mothers!” Unfinished as they are, they mostly attract old fans rather than making new ones. And will this slow exposure stop them from making that splash when they do properly launch?

Anyway, in the meantime, work continues. Carmageddon: Reincarnation yesterday launched its second big Early Access update, bringing a new level, three new cars, more performance options, and other doodads.

The changelog has the full run-down. The new level’s the excitingly-named Bleak City, while some of the new cars do add jazz with permanent zappy Electro-Bastard Ray or fiery Hot Rod power-ups. The patch notes also mention adding new power-ups including the Electro-Bastard, but surely it didn’t launch without something so iconic? (Have you been playing Carmageddon: Reincarnation? Please do correct me. And how is it, anyway?)

The new graphics options give oodles of ways to boost FPS, which will come in handy as poor performance has been one common complaint about Reincarnation. One imagines performance will improve over the course of development, but this’ll help for now. Do be aware that the game will launch with all its graphical bells and whistles turned down by default, so go in and tweak away.

Here’s a peek at the new update and some of the things it adds, including a fine demonstration of it running with the graphics turned way down to play on a shoddy laptop with shockingly slow load times:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Raiyan 1.0 says:

I love how the title of this article works on three different levels.

• WHS says:

Yeah, I have to admit I read the article with some trepidation because I was afraid they’d gone and made some horrifying misogynistic ad and Alice was about to go all John Walker on it.*

*not a critique of John Walker, it would just make me sad for Carmageddon

• Stompopolos says:

I was afraid they’d gone and made an ad inoffensive to adults (the type who don’t look for things to be offended by) and Alice was about to go all John Walker on it*.

*Critique of John Walker, you’re not wanted in the feminist movement and your articles on a gaming site need not be politically charged.

• tormos says:

critique of you because gatekeeping about who can and can’t be feminist is how second wave feminism happened and nobody but Dworkin wants that to happen again

2. rockman29 says:

Kind of wish they licensed BugBear’s Next Car Game technology to make this. Carma Reincarnation looks good and absolutely like the classic versions since Carma2, but it kind of looks old-ish too graphics wise.

Not that I am terribly disappointed, but I’m just more impressed with NCG. Maybe Carma guys didn’t have enough resources or tools to do so. Or design decisions. Doesn’t matter anyway, this still looks good.

P.S. This is from watching videos on YT, not this one.

• starclaws says:

They had to repurchase the rights to the game back and do crowd sourced funding just to get the franchise back and going. If this is a hit, they can look to the future. Carmageddon was always a very responsive car game with only decent graphics that made up for it in endless hours of entertainment. I’ve laughed myself to tears on the older games.

3. SillyWizard says:

Are there any of these car-battle games that let you hop out of your car, run around, maybe grab a quick smoke, and then jump into another car to continue the carnage? (Ha! Carnage.)

• rockman29 says:

I don’t think so. I mean I guess you could in GTA IV.

Though in Twisted Metal (2012) when a vehicle is destroyed, the driver runs out in flames maniacally and if you run over them before they “burn out” and fall down, you get a health bonus.

But really you could just go out for a smoke yourself and come back and continue such carnage :P

• Behrditz says:

I actually remember playing an old pc game where your car had weapons, and you could get out of it and run around as an FPS. This was like…the 90s or something where that concept was the most amazing thing I had ever heard of. I wish I could remember what game it was though. It had that same kind of dystopian future police state look like the original carmageddon.

4. nimbulan says:

This has always been a worry of mine with early access. People will get bored of your game before it’s even complete and then release rolls around and…nobody cares anymore. I have Carmageddon due to being a Kickstarter backer but won’t be playing more than briefly before launch to test performance and bugs because I know that will happen to me. Same goes for all my other early access games.

5. Trent Hawkins says:

MORTAL KOMBAT!
    with cars this time.

6. melnificent says:

Just waiting for the multiplayer update before I buy it.