Don’t Starve Getting Multiplayer, Becoming Lord Of The Flies

By Nathan Grayson on May 8th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Or lord of the weird mammalian spider bison, as it were

Don’t Starve is an ingenious videogame title, if you think about it. It’s catchy, a quick summation of your goal in the game, and utterly indispensable life advice. Don’t Starve Together, then, is exactly what I’m going to tell my future children when I’m teaching them about the buddy system. I will follow that by handing them a copy of Lord of the Flies and saying, “Don’t reenact this,” before stranding them on an island for a couple days to find out which one is fit enough to be my favorite. Coincidentally, that’s more or less how I expect Don’t Starve Together to unfold, albeit with slightly less confusing advice given out upfront.

Klei announced that it’s going to break its own (apparently very strict) no multiplayer rule to craft Don’t Starve’s first multiplayer expansion. Initially, the developer was adamantly against anything other than building the best single-player game possible, but it’s now humming a different tune while stirring up a big ol’ pot of pig person stew. Apparently new employees and a solid proof-of-concept prototype convinced Klei that collective un-starvation might be fun after all, so here we are.

Here’s how it will work:

“Don’t Starve Together is a multiplayer expansion for Don’t Starve allowing friends or complete strangers to survive together, in either public or private games. As far as we know, it will have most of (if not all) the normal features in Don’t Starve, balanced for multiplayer, and potentially even add new features.”

“We believe that Don’t Starve Together will support 2-4 players simultaneously. Could be more, but we are aiming for 4 minimum.”

The expansion will be free to everybody who already owns Don’t Starve, but the game will get a price hike up to $19.99 once multiplayer rounds out the package.

Don’t Starve Together will open its cavernous maw sometime this summer. Its official launch will be preceded by a brief Steam Early Access period, just like what Klei did with recent expansion Reign of Giants.

So that’s neat. Personally, I always admired Don’t Starve’s particular brand of unsettling solitude, but I’m sure plenty of people have gotten their fill of playing it that way by now. Who’s ready to ruthlessly sabota– I mean, be 100 percent helpful to their friends in order to avoid starvation?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

soulblur says:

I am. Just commented here recently saying that I’d hear Klei say that this was something that they weren’t going to do. Happy to see that I was wrong. Now, will they eventually roll out these changes on PSN…? That’s actually where I would mostly play Don’t Starve (haram, I know).

2. feday says:

Sounds excellent. I wonder how hardcore they’ll handle player deaths. Maybe include some sort of dangerous resurrection ritual when one out of your 4 player, day 200+ session gets revengekilled by treebeard.

• SillyWizard says:

Well, if the game can track the origins of beard-hair, then it will be wise for each player to keep a stock of beard-hairs handy so other players can build a meat-effigy to resurrect deceased friends.

3. bstard says:

How much spiders can you lurk into the other players camp?

4. tblakebraddy says:

I am a firm believer that Klei intends for ‘Don’t Starve’ to be the only game that I play in the future. With this, they are well on the way to accomplishing that goal.

5. Golden Pantaloons says:

I am kinda sorta hoping for character permadeath while still allowing the player to remain in the game. Maybe a finite pool of lives or characters.
    Interesting anyway, and hopefully something that will keep the game going for a while longer.

6. BlobScraps says:

I think maybe Touch Stones should be a bit less rare on multiplayer, So everybody doesn’t have to fight over who gets to re spawn. Also hoping maybe there will be a spectate mode after death and possibly there will be a chat system or communication with microphone.

7. Captain RDM says:

Greatest expansion ever.

8. Hummdinger27 says:

Klei, just take my money, all of it, please.

9. DrSNIM says:

IT’S A F***ING MIRACLE!!!

10. Jibs151 says:

Will the multiplayer aspect support workshop mods though? And if it does would both/ all players on the same game need to have the same mods installed?

11. damion@12 says:

please dont make it 4 player minimum make 2 that is a lot should be 4 maximum i mean what if u have 1 other friend and dont want to be playing with complete strangers

• Ezezrocks says:

They will probably make it so you can make passwords for servers.

12. Ezezrocks says:

Much Wait Such Excitement.