Galactic Civilization 3′s Early Access Ships Ship Builder

By Graham Smith on May 8th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

You can design this, but it doesn't look very much like a penis so why would you.

Gal Civ 3 launched into Early Access in late March, but at the time the game was missing much of what made the 4X strategy game special, including diplomacy, colony management and ship building. Stardock are beginning to change that, and yesterday launched an update that added the freeform ship builder to the game. There’s a long, 40-minute archive livestream below showing exactly what you can do with it. Here’s the important part: you can now have animated parts on your phallic dong-vessels. Maybe it’s time to windmill into battle?

There’s a brief, introductory part one before the stream went down, but the meat of it takes place in the video below.

Watch live video from Stardock on TwitchTV

What made Galactic Civilizations 2 so exciting was the detail and personality in its universe. Your enemy AIs weren’t blank shells trying to defeat you; they each had their own methods, and seemed to act according to the style of their leader as much as what was mathematically most efficient. It similarly gave players plenty of options to express their own personality, letting you defeat your enemies not only with bigger and better ships, but with bigger and better ships broadcasting better television shows.

In other words, Gal Civ 3 is very exciting and looks promising, but it’s maybe not the kind of game which condenses down into constituent parts without losing much of what makes it great. Adding a ship builder moves it a step closer towards its own intended victory over your free time.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. shinkshank says:

Very much excited for the new GalCiv. Haven’t been a lot of 4x games recently that have interested me, but if it’s a new Galciv you’ve got my attention on pedigree alone, not to mention that everything I’ve seen of it so far certainly looks very promising. I just hope they make good on what they say and still make the focus be the single player and then build the multiplayer off that, instead of going the other way around and just making it a pile of butts.

2. Malarious says:

The plans for 100+ Empire galaxies are what I’m really interested in. Hopefully their engine will make good use of its x64 support.

• hungrycookpot says:

I loved GalCiv2 and I’d really like to be able to play a space 4x with more realistic scale. Like an empire that spans a hundred systems and may not even discover another race until very late game, if at all. Most space 4x that I’ve ever played have felt really size constrained, considering the actual size the universe. Give me more obstacles and challenges just from being in space, like space viruses and indigenous attackers, stars going nova and frying my fleet, and make discovery of other races a bigger deal. It seems pretty strange that 5 hostile sapient species just happened to develop on the same time-scale and within a few lightyears of each other.

3. mtomto says:

Anyone know if it’s worth buying yet?
    (EDIT: Read that you get all future DLC with the founder’s Edition, so I bought it)

4. BobbyDylan says:

Oh wow. Spent many an hour in GalCiv2 Ship builder. This sorely tests my patience….

5. dorn says:

What kind of hypocrisy is this? You blast Blizzard for a bit of titillation and harp on it in non related articles. Then you give a free pass to a company known for real blatant sexism? A company run by a neocron who believes “It’s ok because it’s my personal fiefdom”.

Really seems like RPS is more concerned with prudish anti-sex rhetoric than it is with actual sexism.

• Protoplasmic says:

Can we please talk about video games? Do something fun and happy? No? Well, I had to try.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

So I’m not allowed to buy a videogame from a company owned by a man who’s morals I may not agree with? He (or rather, his employees) are producing a product. His personal beliefs couldn’t be less relevant to our business transaction, wherein I pay money in exchange for an entertainment product.

6. Nate says:

I loved making beautiful ships in GalCiv2– wonderful system, always surprised I never saw any variations on it in other games. I didn’t like that it had absolutely no effect on the game.

Comment on this story