Delay Of The Dead: Dying Light Taking Dirt Nap Until 2015

By Nathan Grayson on May 9th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Whoops, I appear to have slipped into the year 2015. Clumsy me

Zombies, traditionally speaking, are slow. Not Dying Light‘s zombies, though. Once light dies and night falls, the shambling undead become spry as acrobats equipped with the most cutting-edge of Moon Shoes (Moon Shoes!). Except when they don’t. I guess Techland is developing Dying Light in a place where it’s perpetually daytime, because the parkour-infused zombo-clobberer’s been delayed into 2015.

Dead Island developer Techland outlined the rationale behind the slippage, which for some reason becomes a much grosser word when you think of zombies while reading/writing it:

“When we started the development of Dying Light, we were committed to innovation. We wanted to give you a freedom of movement unprecedented in open-world games. After many improvements and months of hard work, we have now come so close to realizing our initial vision we feel we cannot stop before it is ready.”

“We believe the Natural Movement element of our game will change what you expect from the genre, and we don’t want to sacrifice any of its potential by releasing too early. This quality-focused thinking underlines all our development choices and we hope you share our belief that the gameplay must always come first.”

It sounds like there’s simply more to do, and rushing it would be a bad idea. Having both played Dying Light at a couple events and seen it in a number of videos, it seems to be coming along just fine overall. More time in the oven, however, is rarely a bad thing, so it’s good to see this one being given room to grow.

Dying Light will be out in February 2015. Just in time for Valentine’s Day. Thank goodness.

, , , .

1. Cross says:

Late, in every sense of the word. (Mystery biscuits to whoever catches the ref, not that it’s obscure)

• Severn2j says:

As in, the “late” Arthur Dent?

• trout says:

or possibly mr. conan doyle? “But that’s the deceased for you – late, in every sense of the word”

2. strangeloup says:

Dead Island developer + “committed to innovation” = another fucking zombie game.

Okay.

3. RedViv says:

I have yet to speak to a person who actually really enjoys these games and wants them to continue like that. Where are you people? WHO are you people?

• Henke says:

Hi! I played through Dead Island twice! Once solo and once with a couple friends in co-op. The combination of open world exploration and meaty melee combat really did it for me. I liked DI more than L4D even. I really like how this spiritual sequel is turning out as well. The additions of stealth and parkour are great, and they’ve toned down the constant XP pop ups that somewhat mared the original.

• tblakebraddy says:

Same here. I didn’t play the sequel (because I heard it was not good) but loved the first Dead Island game. For me, it was kind of a melee-based, slimmed down FallOut set on a tropical island.

But it was broken. It felt unfinished in some ways, and so maybe taking some time will see TechLand making something worth playing. The sequel felt rushed, and people thought it was garbage, so taking some time might give it the polish it needs.

• Henke says:

Yeah, I installed Riptide a while ago, intending to play it with a friend, but we’ve only gotten 1 or 2 sessions in. Can’t exactly put my finger on why, but it’s not as fun as the first game. I think the jungle environment is largely to blame. That was my least favorite part of the original. I liked the city the most.

Between DI and COJ:Gunslinger, Techland have proven themselves to be very skilled at making first person action games, so I’m very much looking forward to Dying Light and Hellraid.

• Meoith says:

There is obviously a market there for them to make it = they are out there, you silly little boy ;).

• RedViv says:

I know that they need to be there, and luckily some have responded. I wouldn’t ask if I did not expect an answer, silly little Martian! :P

4. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I think I’ve figured it out. At game conferences, a zombie game developer bites all the other developers and their games become infected and turn into zombie games. Only fire can cleanse.

• Tssha says:

Repeat after me folks: The only thing worse than a shambling horde of zombie games is a shambling horde of zombie games that are ON FIRE.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

This is a blatant attack on the Undead Rights movement. These poor dead people trapped in a living body. You just hate them because they break your social norms of not eating human braaaaiins.
      Perhaps a good compromise may be to rework any future zombie game into bogeyman/closet monster game (although the monster in the closet may just not be ready to come out yet).

5. Shooop says:

The very last thing the developers of Dead Island can claim they have is innovation.

“We made Dead Island again only now your character can climb walls and zombies become more aggressive at night! That’s innovative right? Right?!”

6. Beelzebud says:

I have a feeling zombies are on their way to jumping a World War II sized shark.

I used to absolutely love the genre, but the over-saturation has taken most of the fun out of it. When you see zombies in advertisements, you know it’s getting old.