Un-Blocked: Minimum Still Exists, Hosting Beta Weekend

By Nathan Grayson on May 9th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Minimum is not the reason TimeGate dropped off the face of the earth. Not by a long shot. That would be a series of unfortunate events (and decisions) that forced the partial Aliens: Colonial Marines developer to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and close up shop. It was kind of an implosion. Among others, a jilted pizza place was involved. One would assume, then, that its final project, Minecraft-influenced shooter Minimum, ended up as collateral, given that Atari now owns the license and dubiously discarded Prey 2 steward Human Head is on development duties. What does all of that mean for the game, though? You can find out this weekend.

Minimum is a old-ish-school-style game of builderly shooting and shooterly building. Also there are giant Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robot mechs that just sort of… do their own thing in the background. Blasting and crafting apparently powers up said violent titans, as mechs often find those sorts of things highly inspirational.

A beta event will run from now until Sunday evening, and you can sign up for an apparently pretty good chance at nabbing a code here. Apparently a similar recent event provided “voluminous player feedback,” but Human Head’s inhuman hunger will never be satisfied. It wants more. Mooooooooooooore.

It really will be interesting to see where Atari and Human Head take this one, though. Who knows? Maybe this will be good for it in the long run. There are a million voxel-based, crafting-oriented everythings out there, but Human Head has demonstrated solid creative chops in the past. Prey was a fairly standard shooter with strong environment design and some brilliant topsy turvy twists, and Prey 2 was jam-packed full of inventive FPS ideas before a dispute with Bethesda put it in developmental limbo. Minimum is in good (human) hands, in other words. Here’s hoping it ends up being worth the rescue effort.

, , , .

Top comments

1. SuicideKing says:

So…MineTitan…fall…craft…sort of?

1. SpinalJack says:

Looks very bionicals

2. Senethro says:

Thats quite the pedigree of misfortune behind it.

3. SuicideKing says:

So…MineTitan…fall…craft…sort of?

4. Geger says:

quit messing around “human head”, where is “rune 2″

5. Geebs says:

Something that’s been bugging me – shouldn’t it just be “Aliens: ial Marines”?

SuddenSight says:

I always thought it should be Some Liens: Isle Marines. Honestly, I was excited for a title that rhymed and promised the thrills of island rental simulation. Should’ve known to stay away from games with such bad grammar, spelling, and kerning.

6. HisDivineOrder says:

So a company that couldn’t complete its own game is going to finish a horrible developer’s uncompleted game?

Yeah, that’ll end well.

• KDR_11k says:

Section 8 and Prejudice were good multiplayer shooters, TimeGate isn’t all crap.

HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

Your assurances aren’t even taking into consideration the three previous Kohan games. TimeGate’s F.E.A.R. offerings were decidedly average, but if they ever Kickstarted a return to their fantasy-strategy roots or wanted to crowdfund another Section 8, I’d be the first in line.

This is coming from someone who pre-purchased Aliens: Colonial Marines, so that’s saying something. (Head trauma, probably.)

But I really miss Kohan. My favorite RTS to-date!

7. soundofvictory says:

The thought of this game being cancelled was the saddest of TimeGate’s closure for me. To hear that this game is back in the saddle, but under a different developer, is hopeful news. I really like the art-style, and the similarities to other arena shooters and games like Super Monday Night Combat make me think it could be something I will really enjoy. Downloading the beta presently.

8. Bobtree says:

I played the beta last weekend, and while I’m glad it was rescued from TimeGate’s demise, I can’t say it did much for me. The aesthetic is nice, but the Unreal Engine sort of undermines it (the in-game look and feel is not clean or minimal – it might be the lighting that throws it off). The menus were nice and slick, but the generic green UE chat text sticks out like a sore thumb. The sound was mostly too quiet or missing altogether. I had a lot of trouble just logging in, but maybe that was fixed.

What really makes me sigh is the collect and level and craft whatever metagame. This stuff is always grindy and anti-competitive. The match structure also left a lot to be desired: you fight players, shoot creeps that don’t fight back to collect bits to power your titan up, shoot the enemy titan, upgrade your armor, rinse, repeat. There’s nothing to do besides going to attack whatever the game puts in front of you. An action MOBA without strategy is pretty hopelessly boring.

It was just a small taste though, and I don’t regret spending a couple hours to see where it’s headed.

• xilx says:

I honestly don’t think it should be considered a MOBA, it definitely feels closer to an arena shooter to me. It looked like it would be a MOBA when I first looked into the game, but after playing it and describing it to some people, I came to the conclusion that that game mode is more similar to that game mode in TF2 where you’re fighting over pushing the cart thing back and forth, except it’s presented in 1 or more rounds (assuming one team’s titan doesn’t make it to the end first try), and between rounds you get to power up how hard you push the cart.

The crafting is grindy as all hell, though, at least how it is in its current state, there’s no doubt about that. It turned me off as soon as I built a weapon, realized it sucked, and then had to play like 7 more games to get enough materials to build a different weapon (that 7 games being I already had a majority of the materials, not only 7 games to build starting from zero materials).

I thought it was fun as an arena shooter, though. The time-to-kill is really low, however, especially once people have killed a few others and are running around with amped up weapons.