Meet Watch_Dogs’ Cast: Hacker Girl, Angry Man, Explosion

By Nathan Grayson on May 9th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Up to this point, Watch_Dogs has been all about trench-coat-clad, vigilante-justice-dispensing hatman Aiden Pearce, but the game’s no one-man show. It’s positively brimming with colorful characters like–[KABOOOOOOOOOM]. Sorry, what I meant to say is, there’s this rebellious hacker girl and–[BLAAAAAAAAAMWOOOOOOOOSH]. Argh, my ears won’t stop ringing. Let me just find a solid wall to duck behind so I can tell you about the arms dealer who–[CRASHSMASHWHOOOOOMBOOOM, sounds of glass clattering in slow-mo]. I guess I’ll just let the weirdly action-packed character trailer speak for itself.

Watch_Dogs is an action game. Did you forget? Yeah, it has computers and talking sometimes, but please, please, please don’t forget that it’s an action game. Ubisoft is practically begging you.

But yep, those are some characters. They all seem pretty cliched, but then it’s kind of hard to take a full measure of somebody when everything won’t stop–[KERWHOOOOOOOM] ahem, exploding all around them.

Watch_Dogs is right around the corner, with a May 27th release date closing in rapidly. I really, really want it to live up to its hacky, ka-biff-smack-y potential, but we’ll see. I don’t think I’ll be playing this one for its story, but I was never really planning on that. If we’re lucky, we’ll still get a big, lively world full of unique NPCs to hack and manipulate. And yes, I get the sneaking suspicion that we’ll also be able to blow things up when the mood strikes.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MuscleHorse says:

SELECT staring_eyes
    FROM RPS
    Where Probably_Dissapointing

• The Army of None says:

All was made right in Castle Shotgun.

• tumbleworld says:

So far, so GTA.

• skittles says:

What I am thinking. Originally I was interested in this because it looked like a fairly serious and toned down take on the genre compared to GTA. Every latest video is reversing that opinion. And this cast of characters helps my reversal of opinion no end. Honestly they seem to be working hard on their stereotypes.

2. Kem0sabe says:

Token angry black man. It seems like Ubisoft designs their characters these days following the standard hollywood script checklist.

• AngelTear says:

Token woman, token black, but you play as a white male, just to make things clear about who is the dominant one here.

• Goodtwist says:

Why dominant? When you die you ain’t any more :p

• Cross says:

When you die, you reload. When the story dictates your friends inevitably die, they bloody stay dead.

• Goodtwist says:

But are you really “YOU” once you reload?! There’s no certainty in that.

• Syra says:

God damn stories always written before you read them.

• Dawngreeter says:

I want a shirt with that on it!

• The Random One says:

That’s one of the reasons I liked Far Cry 2. Which was, in my playthrough, the story of a white guy who goes to a poor African country at the behest of Powerful White Men and then is repeatedly shot down by black people in scruffy tees and bailed out by tiny black women.

• Bradamantium says:

I’m crossing my fingers that the apparent tokenism is more a symptom of the explodey trailer meant to appeal to Those Sorts of Gamers. I’ve read a couple of other previews that spared a few lines explaining a few characters and had more nuance to them than this trailer.

• The Dark One says:

Everything looks like a token [thing] compared to the explosions.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

There’s some tokenism in there but probably not as prominent as you’re suggesting, we’ll have to see how the characters actually pan out for that.

Is it wrong though that i’d still prefer to play ANY of these characters instead of Aiden? Judging from his outfit, his appearance and his voice i’m starting to think he’s actually the worst example.ì of them all.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Care should be taken when designing a character gallery surrounding the protagonist to not make him/her the least interesting.
        Bad examples from the top of my head: Not playing as Auron in Final Fantasy X (I couldn’t stand most of the other characters in that one though). Then Final Fantasy XII – the main character is maybe the worst in the entire game.

• Eight Rooks says:

Off-topic, maybe, but while I actually liked Vaan – FFXII is one of my favourite games of all time – it’s been long established he actually was the product of boardroom wrangling and suits getting in the way of artistic endeavour, etc. He really is “We need a whitebread protagonist the kids can safely imprint themselves on”, that’s a statement of fact, whereas other games it’s more “What the hell were the developers thinking?”.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I know I shouldn’t really badmouth FFXII because I’ve only played it for maybe 5-6 hours (it wasn’t because I hated it. I just couldn’t sink a lot of time into it at the time).

I’ve read a lot of interesting post-mortem stories about the cluster-F of developing that game.
            A half-done MMO reworked into a regular FF game. The producer burning out halfway through the project followed by a total team restructure.
            The top-down decisions from executives not involved in the actual development to replace the original main character with one of the supporting characters to be more appealing to 20-something women.
            And there’s a lot more.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Vaan’s really only the main character in the beginning. After a while, he takes a back seat to the more important characters. I didn’t even have him in my party for most of the game.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

What’s really great about FF12 is how any single character matters and has a lot going for. The story is far more mature than some other titles in the series and there’s more of a grey moral area to most things happening.

Vaan and Penelo are a different thing, i’d say they’re merely the player’s avatar. They’re spectators in a way, not enablers, and their rather blank personality might be intentional.

Eitherway, it’s plainly apparent Matsuno is on a different league compared to Nomura.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Thank you TacticalNuclearPenguin, Eight Rooks and Deadly Sinner for the interesting input. I’ll probably have to put XII back on the to-do list now.

3. strangeloup says:

Anyone else getting a real 90s vibe from this? The hackers all feel a bit like they stepped out of, well, Hackers.

Weirdly, this is the first trailer to get me interested in the game.

• Ross Angus says:

I was thinking more The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo myself.

• PopeRatzo says:

Did you think there could possibly be a girl in this game without a tattoo? We’re talking hacker girls here, and we know from our fantasies that they are all inked up and sexy. Tattoo = exotic (and possibly mixed race!).

Major game devs seem to have a very low opinion of us.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I thought that the impression was that they were geeky, badly dressed, socially incapable, ugly and with a bad smell.

The world is full of terrible clichès, but i guess the issue is milder here, as in they simply went for eyecandy as usual ( applies to Aiden too i guess ).

Sure, sure, more variety would be nice and this feels like yet again another missed opportunity, but at least i’m not seeing fully blown misoginy like a lot of other examples in the mainstream scene.

• The Random One says:

Male hackers are geeky, badly dressed, socially incapable, ugly and with a bad smell. Female hackers are super-empowered piercing-clad no-nonsense action women who nevertheless need a Gruffy Man to tell then what to do and solve their daddy issues through sexual healing.

• SillyWizard says:

I’d much rather play a game about stinky nerds flailing ineffectively with their limp wrists against a world that doesn’t appreciate stinky nerds.

Attractive people with a bone to pick against other attractive people is pretty boring.

4. SuicideKing says:

Totally unrelated, but it seems Microsoft’s working on a new RTS:

5. TreuloseTomate says:

Surprisingly boring trailer.

6. GernauMorat says:

I see Americans still can’t pronounce ‘Iraq’

• Davie says:

Plenty of us can, actually, but thanks for your generalizations.

• GernauMorat says:

OK OK that was me being arsey. My apologies

• Syra says:

That’s okay you will just fail at pronouncing something else instead!

• SuicideKing says:

EYE-RACK?

• Tssha says:

You gotta have a place to put your eyes when you’re not using them. Don’t want them rolling around on the floor and people stepping on them all the time, do you? That’s just hazardous.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Though such a thing also opens up a lot of new possibilities, like eye replacements!

Imagine having all your colors and pupil shapes ( star shaped anyone? ) all lined up right next to your closet, pairing up outfits will be on a new level!

• Convolvulus says:

The voice actor is Canadian. Anyway, most of the English-speaking world pronounces it incorrectly. The people who think they have it right usually get the first vowel wrong, and many can’t even reproduce the alveolar trill (or uvular, depending on the dialect), opting instead to just throw the word “rock” in there.

• sinister agent says:

Iraqchblrlrlrlrrrr-POP

• Ich Will says:

Its perfectly acceptable to have a colloquial name for other countries, if the Americans have settled on Eyerack, more power to them! It’s not like French people pronounce their country “France” and you tend to look like a complete moron if you pronounce every word in it’s native pronunciation.

• P.Funk says:

The difference is that correctly pronouncing Iraq is not as silly sounding as correctly pronouncing France. Note however that context is everything. You may illicit eyebrow raises at the singular use of the Frenchman’s France but using it as a package in “Tour de France” and its not the least bit weird sounding, both because its a popular enough event that we hear it said that way but also because we hear it in a sentence fragment of its own dialect as well.

Most of the fault of the Western world with pronouncing Middle Eastern country names probably comes from the fact that our first introduction to them usually comes as some stiff postured Joint Chief butchers it in his classic West Point American voice, you know the one that can’t go without saying things like “Be advised, I’m 4 mikes from the grocery store, sweetheart” even under normal conditions.

7. surv1vor says:

I do enjoy a bit of Glitch Mob, an apt accompaniment to this game if ever there was one.

I thought the voice acting was surprisingly good, maybe its a little unfair to assume that the story won’t be worth much.

8. Easy says:

phone rings at Ubisoft HQ.
    - allo oui?
    - this is Michael Bay. You probably know me from million grossing blockbusters such as…
    - yes yes fine, what do you want?
    - I want MORE FRAKKING SEXPLOSIONS in your goddam trailers ok?
    Drops handset and walks off.

9. thesundaybest says:

Can’t wait for this movie to come out.

Also, if you can hack into traffic lights with your phone, what does it mean when you call someone else the most dangerous hacker you know?

10. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

I now want a game where you play as an explosion.
    You start off meeting a nice girl. She takes you to meet her friends. Some guy called Dave comes up, looking you down a bit, and holds out a hand to greet you.
    You go to shake his hand but as soon as your grip it, it explodes , spraying the area with gore. Everyone starts screaming.
    “What the fuck have you done?!”
    You open your mouth to apologise, but only explosions come out. Everyones eardrums burst, almost all of them incapacitated on the ground.
    The police are called in by people a safe distance away from your misguided attempts at socialising. By the time they arrive, you are in tears at the agony you have caused. Each tear drop that falls hits the ground, sending shrapnel into anyone close enough, which at this point is just the police. They call in officer under fire, and classify you as a terrorist threat, since you are a living explosion.

SWAT responds but cant harm you, everything you now come into contact with explodes outwards only harming others (The ground doesnt explode under your feet, dont be that guy).

The area is evacuated, snipers located around more to spot you than shoot you. An airstrike is called in, devastating the area you are in. And in the aftermath, amongst the rubble, you see her.
    The most beautiful explosion you have ever seen….

And since I said it was a game, i suppose the mechanics would be like katamari damacy, but… opposite

11. Eight Rooks says:

Ugh, mediocre trailer. I really want the story to be good – I’m no ludologist – and I’d credit Ubisoft with some good writers here and there (some lovely moments in AC IV) but this? Terrible acting (though the old guy was okay), mediocre dialogue, dull progression through “And he makes things blow up! And she makes things blow up! And he…” etc., etc. Seriously, Ubi, all most of these have done is convince me perhaps I shouldn’t bother with it on launch day. :(

(Weirdest thing for me that no-one else has mentioned yet is how hard it seemed to be trying to convince people the game’s going to look just like that E3 trailer. Look at our hi-res facial textures, it yells. Look. At. Them.)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s not all about high res textures though, it’s all the tech behind that shines aswell and make the former look just right. You could mod Quake with the same texture resolution and it’d “just” look like a sharper Quake. Not that i wouldn’t love the see that, mind you.

I’m hearing some good previews about the characters and the plot to be honest, while this is no way indicative that it will all pan out properly, at least we could agree that this trailer wasn’t really an appropriate show in that regard.

As others pointed out, this trailer make all the character smell of deep tokenism, but it might not be like that in reality.

• Cinek says:

Wow… you know an entire storyline out of 2 minute trailer?! I admire you.

• Eight Rooks says:

Oh for Chrissakes. There is nothing in that trailer to make me think the story is going to be particularly better than a thousand straight-to-video action movies. The dialogue they sample is practically all clichés, the voice acting is almost all mediocre at best, the different scenes tell me nothing the other trailers hadn’t already told me and don’t form any kind of exciting or involving dramatic progression, it’s just – as Nathan said – nothing but BOOM BOOM BOOM. But hey, mister condescending internet guy, do tell me what you know about the story that means it’s going to be awesome, and what there is in that two minutes of hot air that confirms it and which I somehow missed.

12. Shooop says:

The bullshot controversy, the Assassin’s Creed but with guns gameplay trailers, and now this…

This game looks worse and worse as it ticks closer to release.

13. DarkLiberator says:

I’ll wait till reviews and see if its any good.

14. Press X to Gary Busey says:

When will the hack apps be available in the App Store? I want to cut my travel time to work by just tapping the app icon at every red light.
    Press X to hack.

15. Radiant says:

In reality anyone who looked and dressed like one of these fools would be, without question, an insufferable wanker.

16. Iskariot says:

The current protagonist is a very uninteresting and bland looking character. That chineese guy looks much more interesting and cool. I would have liked him to be the protagonist.

17. Laurentius says:

Ubisoft as usual, thay are trying so hard to create something overwhelimngly medicore.

18. sinister agent says:

Jesus, that makes it look terrible. I couldn’t even get through all of it. I hope the final game is nothing like that.

Not that it matters, since they won’t release it without forcing their shitty wanking club on us, so I’m not gonna play it.

19. eclipse mattaru says:

These trailers have gotten so painfully generic that now I can’t even remember what it was that got me so excited when the game was first revealed :T

20. Darth Grabass says:

So Lisbeth Salander, the guy from Oldboy, Rob Zombie, and “Lucky” Quinn is doing an impression of Gary Oldman in Hannibal. I’m looking forward to this game, but I hate when characters are so transparently derivative.

21. Stackler says:

YEAH, a trailer with dubstep background music!
    My interest in this game is now officially at zero. Fucking hell.

22. Sunjammer says:

Hey, remember when this game looked cool and distanced and interesting like a near-future blade runner, and wasn’t some wet mattress of Cool Characters, Explosions and Dubstep? They couldn’t seem less fashionable if they tried.

And try as hard as they might, that dude with the scarf, filthy trenchcoat and baseball cap still just looks like a hobo to me.

23. MkMax says:

Its funny, imho the most remarkable thing about the reveal footage was that it looked very different from gta in tone, pacing and characters, now this one screams “GTA GTA GTA!, DID I TELL YOU HOW MUCH WE ARE LIKE GTA?”, someone played it safe

That said, considering there is no GTAV for pc in the horizon this might not be such a bad thing, if only it didnt come with uplay

Comment on this story