A Story About My Uncle I Guess But Mostly Grappling Hooks

By Alice O'Connor on May 12th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

ZAP!

Hey gang, and welcome back to another exciting round of Judge A Game By Its Name! Today we’re looking at A Story About My Uncle. You’re thinking 2D puzzle-platformer, right? Monochromatic palette, perhaps accented with red. Lots of slow walking sections with quiet introspective narration, surely? If that’s your final answer, then I’m sorry to say you haven’t won today, as it’s actually a first-person puzzle platformer based around a zappy grappling hook glove. You won’t take home the Jet Ski and Royal Doulton plates but on the bright side, we’re all getting a new grappling hook game.

It’ll arrive in a few weeks, on May 28, publisher Coffee Stain Studios has announced with a new trailer. (Yes, it now publishes as well as making games like Sanctum and Goat Simulator.)

A Story About My Uncle sees a young lad off searching for his uncle something something drawn into a fantastic world something something then you get a fancy glove which lets you swing around with gay abandon. Amazing. I’m so pleased. Developers Gone North Games started the game as a student project, when it caught our Alec’s eye back in 2012, before expanding and fancying it up for a commercial release.

Here’s the new trailer. All right, I guess it does have a bit of that quiet introspective narration going on. You can take the cuddly toy home with you.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SillyWizard says:

Swinging with gay abandon you say?

2. SillyWizard says:

Wow. All fun and games until the giant eyeball monster starts wrecking shit up.

3. Bluerps says:

For a moment, I expected this article to actually be a story about Ms O’Connor’s uncle (and her love of grappling hooks, or something).

4. Talahar says:

It’s a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater! *starts to sing*

5. RaoulDuke says:

I’d like to see a trailer that shows me how the gameplay is going to evolve/become more challenging as the game progresses, it seemed like swinging from a “thing” and being pulled towards a platform is the whole kit and caboodle. Could get boring quickly, although the plant at the end reveals some kind of light/dark mechanic.

6. Megakoresh says:

This looks quite cool, if they can pull off the momentum properly. From the trailer it seems like it’s ways off yet, but if they can get a realistic physics-based momentum gain and gravity going on, this should be a good adrenaline rush.

• EvaUnit02 says:

“From the trailer it seems like it’s ways off yet”
      It’s out at the end of the month. I don’t think it’s an Early Access game either.

• Megakoresh says:

By ways off I meant the momentum – it didn’t look realistic and the speed gains were kinda linear. I thought they are still heavy in development and would fix it. Aw well that’s disappointing :(
        Maybe they can patch it up in post.

7. Wut The Melon says:

I predict a 50% increase in potential customers if they actually change the name from “A Story About My Uncle” to the much more appealing “But Mostly Grappling Hooks”.

If not for that second bit, I probably wouldn’t even have looked at this. As it stands, it looks like just the grappling might not be enough to make this platformer interesting, but I can still have hope.

8. Niko says:

My favourite part of the original game was when you approach that alien village and hear a flute tune. Hopefully the new one will have all that.

9. Faxanadu says:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD – make the grapple-beam A ROPE that the guy GRABS WITH HIS ARM, looks a hundred times cooler than a goddamn tractor-beam.