Class On The Line: Warside

By Adam Smith on May 12th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

invisible armchair

There are more bullets in a minute of Warside than there are grains of sand trapped in bodily crevices after a day at the beach. In the sidescrolling arenas of the multiplayer shooter you wouldn’t be able to swing a cat without hitting a bullet. As far as I can tell, there are no hiding places and characters rely on energy shields to protect them from the hail of projectiles. In many ways, it looks like an old-fashioned team deathmatch FPS, with the perspective shifted from behind the eyes. The latest video shows the various classes, which include a Medic with a curious stance and the Infiltrator, a sly sniper. The latter would be my preferred class but I suspect I’d need to be able to zoom the viewpoint out to perform any sniping.

I’d quite like to try a multiplayer version of Abuse, which is what Warside initially reminded me of. The viewpoint does look like it’s far too close to the action for entire scenes in the video though, with players shooting at opponents who aren’t visible onscreen. Despite the constant shooting and shielding, the presence of distinct classes does suggest at least a slight tactical teamwork element rather than patience and spongey bullet-soaking.

Warside continues to seek votes on Greenlight.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Goodtwist says:

Sideface

• pepperfez says:

Well done sir, you’ve wrapped up this comment section on the first try.

lorddon says:

I came for the comments. I was not disappointed.

• Shadowcat says:

Well I didn’t realise the industry was planning to cover the entire Warbody, but I think this announcement makes the intentions pretty clear.

What’s next in line?

Warhair?
      Warleg?
      Warbutt?

2. Philomelle says:

After seeing the headline art, I clicked expecting to see a Warframe rip-off.

I’m impressed how they managed to provide something even worse than that.

3. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

After the fantastic success of Showdown Effect, the copycats are now coming to cash in on the huge playerbase for these games.

Oh wait.

• Philomelle says:

Technically, Showdown Effect was developed to cash in on the fantastic success of Awesomenauts (aka the least talked about MOBA with one of the strongest, most dedicated communities on the market).

Both SE and this lack the spark that made Awesomenauts so good, though.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I tried Awesomenauts and it was certainly entertaining, but it didn’t really last for me. I can’t see what the connection is to SE though, since that’s a straight deathmatch style game focused on acrobatics and twitch reflexes.

DeVadder says:

Nah, its all about Teeworlds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dV-Wul3Mg) really. In fact, i shall reinstall that now, beeing free and with grappling hook and all.

4. CookPassBabtridge says:

The picture leads me to wonder, will there be upgradeable combat cod pieces.
    Incrementally improving ‘chap’ armour or no sale.

5. DanMan says:

So, Turrican, eh?

6. jarowdowsky says:

Well, I know I’d want to wield a sniper rifle in a fight where I can see no further than 10 feet in front of me.

Man, that was a monumentally disappointing trailer.

7. green frog says:

I’ll be the positive one here and say I thought the 2.5D environments looked pretty nice.