Cardboard Children – Rab’s Top 50 (30-21): The Video

By Robert Florence on May 13th, 2014 at 9:00 pm.

Top 50 boardgames.

Hello youse!

We’re at 30-21 on my list of the BEST BOARD GAMES EVER. Watch the reveal video! And then, next week, I’ll dig into these games a bit deeper. And then we’ll be into the TOP 20. How exciting is that?

Stay dicey! Leave comments!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SillyWizard says:

Would it be inappropriate to state that I would probably go gay for Rab? At least once. Some wine-coolers might help.

• rexx.sabotage says:

Hahaha iknowrite? I got some Zimas…

• Easy says:

That would be most appropriate. The way he talks, aboot games, gives me strange tingling sensations.

Aerothorn says:

This just in, Rab triggers ASMR.

• ben_reck says:

If I’m not mistaken, he appears to shave his chest and is not, I presume, a competitive swimmer.

2. Steven Hutton says:

But who is Hope’s favourite super hero? I MUST KNOW!

JB says:

I *LOVE* the fact that Hope beat Rab to the punch with the catchphrase. She’s learning. Fast.

Also, seeing the Rogue Trooper box on the shelf has reminded me that I think I had a copy at some point. I’ll have to have a look on BGG or something to remind myself. Then possibly a loft adventure to find it.

JB says:

Crap. I’ve looked at some pictures. I did/do have a copy. Now I need to find it.

• Steven Hutton says:

I see many of my favourite games on the shelf. I’m already preparing my remarks…

• Kefren says:

Find that traitor! Question is, do you work together? Or micro-mine each other into oblivion?

4. celticdr says:

This countdown is really becoming crunchy now…

5. Romeric says:

Brilliant video. Love the ending – Rab’s expression is priceless!

6. Randomgit says:

I was hoping Super Dungeon Explore would show up. Definitely getting that one now.

7. The Random One says:

Sudden mustache!

8. Gothnak says:

I’m agreeing with the majority of the list, still don’t really get the simpler games myself, i do like a decent depth…

I still play the PC game of Blood Bowl over the boardgame though, just easier to find an AI opponent, and when i played Blood Bowl as a kid, i’d always have to play against my mate with his Deathroller :(.

Fingers crossed my no. 1 game has made it into the top 20, Shogun (The remake of Wallenstein) has so many amazing elements that my friends and I love.

Watching this does make me want to play more games, am getting stuff to the table every 3 weeks or so now.

9. Saarlaender39 says:

21: Blood Bowl
    22: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
    23: Caverna: The Cave Farmers
    24: HeroScape
    25: Blood Bowl: Team Manager
    26: Age of Empires III
    27: Super Dungeon Explore
    28: Commands & Colors (The system as a whole)
    29: Survive – Escape from Atlantis
    45: Nexus Ops
    46: Kingsburg
    47: Ninjato
    48: Mission Red Planet
    49: The Duke
    50: Conquest of Planet Earth

So far, I own seven of Rab’s Top 50 games. Will be interesting to see, how many it will be in the end.

• Gothnak says:

I have played 11, owned 8, and still own 3. (Dixit, Warhammer Invasion, Blood Bowl: Team manager)

• Kitsunin says:

I’ve played 0 and own 0…but then I only own like 10 games. Maybe they will be in the top 20?

• Gerbick says:

I own 1 and have played 0 (Blood Bowl). I should remedy that really, especially as a couple of my kids will probably love it.

10. GuybrushThreepwood says:

Damb Rab, not a lot of Eurogames on your list. Lots and lots of Ameritrash. I guess that’s how you’ve always leaned – even in the shelves behind you I can’t make out much that could be classified as brettspiel… I see Friese’s Power Grid and Catan (ew). No Knizias, Kramers, Kieslings, not even a Wallace.

Hoping Puerto Rico and/or Princes of Florence make your top 3 or 5 (doubtful though). Still my favorite boardgames ever.

• Gothnak says:

Your list are pretty dry though, i think Rab tends to go for style of games where you have interaction and conversation across the table more than harder thinking… Oh and plastic pieces…

I used to like Princes of Florence, till i got into the hobby more and found game where i could really annoy my friends. Puerto Rico always had the problem where whoever sits to the left of the newbie wins (It is Left isn’t it, been a while since i last played).

• ben_reck says:

huh? 23, 26, and 28 from the last ten… I’d say he’s got a good variety of games. I like the occasional family boardgame he includes if only for color. Remember the list is an entertainment in and of itself and that informs the choices.

Which Wallace game would you put in the top 20? Some of them are kinda interchangeable.

11. BooleanBob says:

These are getting better each week, and the bar was set really high to begin with. Agreed on the Blood Bowl games, I love ‘em both, though I feel that the deck-builder suffers somewhat with balance issues and would have benefited from a little more play testing prior to release.

I wonder if Race for the Galaxy is going to feature at all – when Rab was talking about the best Eurogames being ones where the theme and the mechanics seem to complement each other perfectly, that was the game my mind immediately went to. I’m looking forward to finding out.

• ben_reck says:

He’s got some momentum going but there is always the superlative trap to watch out for. How many fantastic will #13 get?

Martel says:

God I love these, especially the back and forth with you and Hope. Only problem I have is that you have a way of convincing me to buy games I know I’ll never get to play.

13. Shadowcat says: