Don’t Stay Away From The Trapdoor, An Amnesia Mod

By Alice O'Connor on May 13th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Don't you open that trapdoor. You're a fool if you dare...

Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions, where nobody goes, stands an ancient castle, according to an old British legend. Deep within this dank and uninviting place, lives Jonathan Burke, overworked servant of “the thing upstairs.” But that’s nothing compared to the horrors that lurk beneath the trap door, for there is always something down there, in the dark, waiting to come out.

Don’t you download that Trapdoor. You’re a fool if you dare. Stay away from that trapdoor, ’cause there’s something down there…

You see, dear reader, I was repurposing the theme song of 1980s children’s television show The Trap Door as a hook for a post about The Trapdoor, an Amnesia: The Dark Descent mod inspired by the claymation creepshow. It’s a calculated risk. Would the reference delight British readers of a certain age enough to compensate for the risk of alienating international readers? And what about readers who roll their eyes and mutter “Yes, I too was alive between during the 1980s” when they suspect someone may be lazily leaning on pop culture references?

Anyway. The Trapdoor is an Amnesia-y homage to The Trap Door, reimagining the cheery adventures of blue blob Berk as the horrifying ordeals of Jonathan Burke. Serving his master in a decrepit castle, he’s haunted by visions of what lurks beneath the trap door in the basement. Berk’s skull pal Boni becomes an inanimate hunk of bone Burke clings to for comfort in times of terror, banishing the horrors that chase him. It all looks quite swish:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

I’m impressed you know about Trapdoor, was it a hit in the US?

2. Spacewalk says:

Ooh, ‘eck.

3. LionsPhil says:

R.I.P. Willie Rushton. One of the greats.

They did an episode with the theme tune in full.

• Antsy says:

He really was. I was always especially pleased when it was his turn on Jackanory.

• TheSplund says:

I recently managed to get a copy of his Jackanory Winnie the Pooh VHS – coincidentally I bounced it onto DVD just like I did the 4 Trap Door VHSs I had before they released the DVD (I subsequently bought that too).

4. Phasma Felis says:

For my fellow Americans, it’s actually worth looking up the original show on a lazy Saturday afternoon. You can find the whole run on Youtube.

5. strangeloup says:

Pleasingly, you can get the show’s whole run (40 episodes) on Amazon for about a fiver.

I’d secretly hoped this might be a remake of the remarkably good ZX Spectrum game-of-the-show, but alas, no.

6. amateurviking says:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurke.

7. GameCat says:

Oh, everything is so SPOOKY! Are you SCARED yet?

*insert obligatory link to RPS words about maddening lack of imagination in horror games here

This idea is perfect for making a game where you’re playing as a guy who have (or thinks he have) something strange and dangerous in his basement and he slowly start losing sanity. But no, better make another boring amusement park haunted house ride. Gross.

8. TheSplund says:

OOooo Globbitts!

9. e2me2t says:

Sponge!

10. dethtoll says:

So, this is a game about how I actually view Amnesia?

Makes sense.

11. wodin says:

Trapdoor..loved it. Even bought my daughter the DVD a few years ago and she loved it to. A timeless classic.

12. RecklessPrudence says:

Huh. It was released in the 80s? It didn’t make it to Australia until …I think the mid-90s? I remember watching it after coming home from school. Oh well, I remember watching Transformers G1 and watching the movie in cinemas, the cartoon came out in ’84 and the movie in ’86, and I was _born_ in ’86. A number of other shows that were broadcast here for the first time what I found out later was years after their original air date in other countries; so it looks like while we caught up later, in the 80s and at least until the mid-90s we were between two to five or more years behind in shows.

Would explain some things.

13. JamesTheNumberless says:

Did anyone else have the Trapdoor cookbook? It was full of all kinds of normal recipes with liberal amounts of food coloring thrown in to make spaghetti go blue, bechamel sauce go green, etc.

Trapdoor definitely had my favourite intro of anything that was ever on TV when I was little… although the best one to watch while on drugs is definitely Superted.