Tour The Merrier: GRID Autosport

By Adam Smith on May 14th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

GRID Autosport wants you to know something. It isn’t like the other GRID games, with menus more finely engineered than their car handling and plots about automotive megalomaniacs. Autosport has no truck with that sort of thing – in fact, I have the feeling it won’t have any trucks at all. There will be a variety of cars though, all with handling ‘one or two steps further towards simulation than Race Driver: GRID’. Touring Cars are one of the vehicle types included and to show how serious the implementation is, actual men of motorsport talk about the game in the trailer below.

Boxing metaphors abound, which gives me hope that the newfound desire to cater the core audience won’t mean that my own desire to clash and crash is left smouldering in the pits.

Over 100 routes across 22 incredible locations and the world’s most authentic contemporary and classic high-performance racing cars to collect, tune, and upgrade.

The plotting has been dropped but there are still rivalries to develop and sponsors to cater to across the several racing disciplines included.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fox89 says:

Not sure about trucks, but there are Aussie V8 Utes! Which are kinda like trucks :D

Monchberter says:

“Autosport has no truck with that sort of thing – in fact, I have the feeling it won’t have any trucks at all.”

The first Dirt game had HGV truck hill climb stages. Sadly absent from Codies sequels and spin offs.

Would love them to do a ‘RIG’ game. Racing trucks are awesome.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

They’re not talking about the game, they’re talking about their sport.

But I like the look of this, looks like they’re stripping out all the crap I disliked with the other Grid and Dirt games. Looks more serious, more grown up, and Touring Cars is just more fun than F1.

• SuicideKing says:

They’re not talking about the game, they’re talking about their sport.

That’s exactly what i was thinking too…

4. trjp says:

Shame about the lack of trucks – racing trucks can be quite…

That is a one-stop sexist, polluting, tarmac-rending MONSTER of a thing – what’s not to love?

5. kalsonic12 says:

I for one, am happy Grid is becoming more of a mature racing game. Wish they could be a rival against Gran Turismo and Forza.

Hmmm, doesn’t seem like they’re adding any Japanese sports cars. Shame.

• trjp says:

For Grid to compete against GT it would need to become less serious IMO – and no-one is competing with GT or Forza at what they do because no-one has the budget to do it.

I’m all for removing the faux story, fancy menu-within-menu-within-menu stuff tho – and PLEASE remove the patronising Scotsman Codies put into every bloody game they make…

• bstard says:

Very much so ^^. I had that original Grid, and it was like 50-50 play time and menu bollocks.

• trjp says:

Grid 2 solved that by being about 80% menu time…

Seriously – I barely remember the racing!!

6. trjp says:

p.s. does anyone else find the way they’re using people talking about their own real-world racing and ‘framing’ it like they’re talking about the game a bit – well – dishonest?

• Cigol says:

I’ve not watched it, because… well… Codemasters. Safe to say they make some belting games, and have a knack for arcade racers but their marketing is pure bullshit.

7. Creeping Death says:

Alright, I know this will probably result in someone calling me “entitled” or some such… but is anyone else surprised that this game is retailing at full price?

Let me just say that I love the GRID games, but after watching the trailer this looks graphically identical and being based on real locations I expect most of the tracks will have been in the previous game. So it’ll be £35 for what is essentially tweaked handling? It just feels like this has come far too soon after the last game.

Hopefully Codies will release a demo shortly after release (they’ve been pretty good about this in the past) that’ll maybe enlighten me a bit.

mpk says:

Could be worse – at least they haven’t made the decision to make the price higher than average, TESO-style, because they know they’re going to sell millions of copies but don’t quite have enough money bricks to complete their money palace.

Oh god am I actually defending them? I don’t want to be defending them.

8. LiquidKameleon says:

“Hey kids, we are professional drivers! Our every day is a battle of survival as we crash our cars and rebuild them during the week, and that’s totally what racing is like! It’s so spectacular and shiny! Buy it, buy it!”

9. silentdan says:

They say (http://blog.codemasters.com/grid/04/introducing-grid-autosport/) that there will be an in-cockpit view. Good. The lack of that is why I only played about half an hour total of GRID 2. It never occurred to me to check and see if they’d dropped in-car views, so I bought it on launch day, and deleted it later that evening, $40 poorer. They’d better offer some sort of coupon for people who bought GRID 2. I know I’m not the only one who felt that we received only the smallest fraction of what we thought we paid for.

• galaxion says:

From what I’ve seen, the cockpit view is something similar to the Grid 2 cockpit mod that came out.

It basically moves the camera to inside the car model and blurs out the lower resolution textures. It doesn’t seem to render much higher and nicer interiors.

If that’s the case, I will be very disappointed and probably not pick this up as it seems like a Grid 2 patch more than anything else.

10. Jason Moyer says:

I don’t see anything in the gameplay footage there that is distinguishable from either of the previous GRID games. I also don’t really see what’s fun about reality-based circuit racing once you take the difficulty/realism out of it. There are some fantastic simulations and some fantastic arcade (or whatever you want to call them, “arcade” seems like a weird description) racers, but mixing the two just seems sort of boring/bland to me.

• Gargenville says:

I feel like Codies games are already in the horrible not quite meat/not quite fish category so nudging further in either direction is fine by me. But yeah when your absolute best case scenario is to be the new NFS Shift 2, seller of dozens and closer of studios something is probably not working on the management level.

(of course if they’d opted for the arcadier end of arcadesims the gold standard there is Project Gotham..)

11. Keyrock says:

I really hope this is the return to TOCA form I have been praying for from Codies. GRID2 was a massive disappointment in my book, despite the fact that I sorta liked the original GRID. GRID2 took everything I hated about GRID, pushed the gameplay even further from sim to arcade (opposite direction I wanted them to go), and took out the beloved cockpit view. At the very least, we know cockpit view is back for this, which is a good start. Two major issues need to be addressed that have been bugging me since the first GRID, and they’re my biggest complaint about the GRID games:

1) The races are too short
    2) They almost always start you either at the very back or near the back of the pack

Both these issues combined create a situation where it’s practically physically impossible to finish on the podium in a race on higher difficulty settings without restarting the race a whole bunch of times. The races are just too damn short to drive like a sane racer on high difficulty settings because you’re constantly starting around 15th place and have 2 or 3 laps to somehow get to the front. If you drive like a sane racer and back off and wait for good passing opportunities, by the time the pack thins out and you start making progress through it the first 3 or 4 cars are so far ahead of you that it;s physically impossible to make up that much ground in such a short race. The only solutions are:

1) Turn down the difficulty setting
    2) Go into the first couple corners, when the pack is still bunched up, kamikaze style, and pray the bounces go your way.

The problem with solution 1 is that racing against cars you blow past with ease because they’re so much slower than you is no fun. The problems with solution 2 are that the bounces usually don’t go your way and you wind up having to restart the race a dozen times until that magical instance when everything works out just right and that’s not real racing, that’s a crapshoot.

This problem could easily be solved in one of two ways:

1) Longer races – If I have 10 laps to work with I can afford to drive like a sane racer and pick and choose my passing locations like the annoying prick of a spotter keeps yelling into my ear to do because there is enough time.
    2) Qualifying – If I can qualify myself then even if i do have to start at the back I then at least only blame myself for putting down a poor qualifying lap.

Both qualifying and longer races would be ideal.

• Xorkrik says:

Well you got one wish. They will have qualifying.

“a number of pre-race options, such as practice and qualifying.

If you find yourself racing on an unfamiliar circuit or route then simply head into practice and spend some time on the track. After practice you can jump into qualifying where, as you’d expect, you’ll be able to set your fastest time with the aim of starting higher up the grid come race day.”

But I too would like to be able to chose race distance. That was one thing I liked about the F1 games. You could go for 100% race distance and go the distance if you chose to.

12. PopeRatzo says:

If they’re going to give us touring cars, then they should let us actually, you know, tour instead of just driving round and round on a track.

• Jason Moyer says:

Is there some form of touring car racing that doesn’t use closed, specially-designed circuits?

Joshua says:

There is, it’s called Rally :P (Both touring cars and rally cars are built to the S2000 specification).

13. Artificial says:

This will just be F1 with a Grid 2 skin on it. I can’t stand Codie’s racing games anymore. They’re not even the fun type of arcadey. So many assists and such predictability, taking every turn as a drift. Boring.

14. Banjo-Tuesday says:

Very happy to see a big return to Touring Cars, as well as much more realistic handling and customizable car setups. I hated the arcade nonsense of GRID 2. Almost everything sounds promising so far about this to me, including Codies dropping tracks from DLC, so as not to divide the community. If they dropped drift racing to another title I’d be even happier.