Connecting The DoTTs: Schafer Plays Day Of The Tentacle

By Graham Smith on May 15th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Dave The Tentacle.

What are your personal memories of Day of the Tentacle? Mine is that for years before playing it, I thought it was called “Dave the Tentacle” because I’d only ever heard it mentioned in conversation with Scottish accents. Tim Schafer’s memories of the game are considerably more interesting. Not only does he know the name of the LucasArts adventure game, but over the course of this forty-minute video he talks about the inspirations behind the characters, the process of brainstorming the story, production details of particularly fine animations… It’s almost as if he worked on it.

As the start of the video explains, this is the first time Schafer has played Day of the Tentacle in over ten years. As the description underneath the YouTube video explains, the video was originally filmed in June 2012 as bonus content for the Double Fine Adventure documentary. As this sentence you’re reading right now explains, this isn’t the only way to watch Schafer play a game he made while talking about it, as Nathan’s A Game And A Chat series began by getting the lauded adventure game designer to play Broken Age Part 1 just after its release.

Is there a part two somewhere? Is it going to be made available to non-backers soon? I don’t know, but there’s enough insight in this first part to make it worth watching on its own. There’s even a good Steven Spielberg anecdote at 28 minutes in.

, , , , .

1. Spacewalk says:

Re-installing.

2. Premium User Badge JR says:

As a backer, I can say that there currently isn’t a part two of this.

However, there may/may not be another video featuring Tim playing another of his games somewhere on there.

3. GallonOfAlan says:

Fond memories of firing up the CD version with the music and extra speech, the polish and design and real humour. Sam And Max and the other ones are great and all, but this is the funniest point-and-clicker of the era by a long way IMO.

“It makes me feel smarter … more aggressive …”

• guygodbois00 says:

“I feel like I could… like I could… like I could… TAKE ON THE WORLD!!”

• squareking says:

I can’t remember how many floppies DoTT came on. Five or six? I hadn’t installed a CD-ROM in my poor little machine yet, so no audio dialog for me. :( I was 10 years old! What an amazing game.

4. Turkey says:

I don’t know if he covers this in the video, but it was kinda sad and hilarious to learn from Steve Gaynor’s Tone Control podcast that the only reason Lucas Arts made those great original adventure games was that Hasbro had the rights to make Star Wars games in the beginning.

Also Full Throttle was the only adventure game of theirs that made any money.

5. PonchoD says:

I remember playing this on my mates old Packard Bell, we could never get the bloody sound card to do the voices for some reason. Same with Sam n’ Max, I had no idea Sam sounded like Joe Friday, and instead in my head he sounded a lot like Scooby Doo up until I replayed it about 10 years later.

6. Winged Nazgul says:

Amazingly enough, there is Day of the Tentacle cosplay:

7. Premium User Badge JamesTheNumberless says:

This was one of those games that appeared on the PC when we only had an Atari ST and an Amiga at home, and which made the PC look more like the gaming platform of the future. so my first memories of it are of arranging to go to the house of a friend of a friend after school so that I could finally get to see it. It did not disappoint!

incidentally, this was in Glasgow, but thankfully most of my friends had accents that were more Niall Ferguson than Rab C Nesbitt.

8. Michael Fogg says:

If only Tim had implemented more of the DotT style into Broken Age. Instead he chose the later Full Throttle road of ‘cinematic adventure’. Great production values, little substance.

9. Krouv says:

I love hearing Tim talk, but the shooting is pretty badly planned. The main camera’s framing is too tight which forces the cameraman to constantly make those nauseating (literally, I don’t feel well after watching this) and jerky moves, in addition to refocusing. It also forces poor Tim to constantly look over his shoulder which looks pretty uncomfortable. The second camera just has half the frame covered by the monitor for no good reason. You can barely see anything beyond it which is why they’re forced to keep cutting to the first camera every time Tim does anything. Sorry for nitpicking, but I just can’t help noticing these details. :P

10. Sidewinder says:

Okay, show of hands: how many people here are currently feeling depressed that there’s no game currently available called ‘Dave the tentacle’?