Multicoloured Meanies: Fearless Fantasy Released

By Adam Smith on May 16th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

If Zeno Clash creators ACE Team were responsible for rebooting Yellow Submarine, The Beatles’ maritime mystery tour, the results might look a little bit like Fearless Fantasy. Nathan has already boggled at the unusual appearance of the enemies, which range from blossoming meanies to snaggle-toothed space hoppers. The game is now available and, gesture-based combat system aside, it appears to be similar to its obvious inspiration, which switches out the Fearless for a Final and appends an enormous range of Roman numerals.

One thing Fearless Fantasy certainly doesn’t have in common with Final Fantasy (barring the earliest in the series) is length. Final Fantasy VII’s Shinra HQ stairwells take up almost as much time as a playthrough of Fearless, which lasts 3-4 hours. The combat system allows for star ratings though, which might add replayability for the perfectionists.

I’m not sure if any game could have lived up to the sheer oddity of the video…and then I remember Middens.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m glad to see Nathan’s nightmares are finally released to the world. Nightmares for everyone!

2. Viroso says:

You know when a game is short it means they had to choose very well what to put in there, so there was a stricter filter going on. We all could be more receptive of shorter, more focused games. Think of a game you enjoyed, a game with beginning and end, a more traditional structure, and try to think what parts could it lose without making the game worse.

• Heavenfall says:

Well, I certainly think shooting dead hundreds of people fit perfectly into a detective game. I’m not quite sure I like what you’re insinuating!

3. Keyrock says:

There was some stuff there that looked like it jumped out of the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer Tarkus album.

4. jaronimoe says:

nice. apparently the devs are now porting it to mobile platforms. will definitely buy it once I can play it on my phone ;)

5. The Random One says:

The most disturbing thing in that video was the lady archer/paramedic’s constant grin.

6. Ahkey says:

The engine looks very similar to Dragon Age Legends, the formerly Facebook-linked game that released prior to Dragon Age II. It was surprisingly fun at the time, wonder if any of the same people worked on it?

7. Niko says:

Why are the protagonists facing left all the time? It messes with my brain!

8. Sunjammer says:

Didn’t expect to dig it so much! Hilarious, high-energy, great soundtrack, great voice acting, pretty interesting gesture-driven combat system. Art direction is very unique, for better or worse. It made me laugh out loud repeatedly, which is rare now. A *fantastic* fart joke, which is an instant recommendation from me anyway.