I Desperately Want Wunderheilung To Become A Full Game

By Nathan Grayson on May 16th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to non-offensively pronounce Wunderheilung‘s name. Not in a million years. That’s fine though, because I’m about to lavish it with praise all the same. It’s an incredibly brief, simple thing, but it was made in only 48 hours for Ludum Dare 29, so them’s the breaks. For now. The basic premise is that you’re some kind of weird doctor in a world of surreal, broken monstrosities who don’t understand why their eyeball-coated innards aren’t sloughing just the right way anymore. So you examine them with your magical medical magnifying glass and fix them up using controls that remind me of Papers, Please. Oh what a delightfully silly, strange thing it is.

At this point, Wunderheilung only has two very brief encounters, and in both cases the formula is the same: drag your magnifying glass across your ailing patient, find some offending protrusion or another – for instance, a cigarette or a giant, pulsating zit – and then do away with it using your hand and/or a furnace. The whole game will probably take you about five minutes to play.

The setting is so strange – so alive in its own fantastical way yet so sterile, clammy, and cold – that the mundanity of your in-game job is just… perfect. I love games that give me a window into their world not as The Chosen One or some badass super soldier, but as somebody just doing their thing in a place that stopped being strange to them the second they were born into it.

The possibilities for more bizarre/elaborate maladies (and corresponding interactions/mechanics) are numerous. I fully acknowledge that Wunderheilung has so little meat on its bones that you can practically see its skeleton’s skeleton, but I really want to see this one fleshed out and turned into something larger. I want to know more about this place and its otherworldly inhabitants. I want to pump fluid from their boils and replace their bone marrow with ever-so-slightly moldy sponge cake.

That is why I wrote this thing. So take notice, play this pin-prick sliver of a game! Maybe its developer will decide to treat it as more than just a throwaway jam game. I can hope. For now, you can play Wunderheilung for free right here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

Top comments

1. KevinLew says:

I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. The author says that he’s going to expand the game and I think it’ll be very fun. I look forward to seeing what else will show up.
    “Doctor, my hands are always cold and wet.”
    “Let me take a look… It seems that you’re holding a dead fish.”

1. RedViv says:

Woo-nder-hy-loong. Approximately!

It’s lovely. I was entranced the moment I identified someone’s problem to be a case of Accidentally Having A Cigarette.

• Einhaender says:

Everything’s right except for the “oo” – it’s more pronounced like “ugh”. short and without real emphasis.

• RedViv says:

I was trying to compensate for the lack of a short universally agreed ʊ sound, so the ones from “hook” and “took”, rather than others. Had to twist my overtired brain a bit here, my Southern Irish usually pronounces “u” the same as in German.

• Thirith says:

Yeah, imagine the ‘u’ sound Sean Bean would make if he said “Bugger the Lannisters”, just before his noggin is chopped off.

• PsychoWedge says:

How is it possible that in the age of audio and video on teh interwebs you are using written words to convey to people how to say stuff? We have no time for this nonsensery! xD

So for Nathan’s sake: http://youtu.be/or2W1I6IWYA

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Is it not also true that there are regional variations in pronunciations? So many times I have had a German tell me “no its pronounced THIS WAY”, only for another German to say it utterly differently yet be just as convinced that everyone else is wrooooong :)

• Fry says:

There are many versions of the language throughout German-speaking areas. Different sounds, yes. Even widely divergent grammar and vocabulary. However, there is a (mostly) commmonly accepted standard German used all over. This is what’s taught to foreigners, and it’s what anything internationally considered “German” is likely to be.

In this case, stick with the standard.

• El Spidro says:

Not vunder-high-lung?

• iRaphi says:

google translator gives you a pretty good version :)
      i’m from austria so i know what i’m talking about…

2. KevinLew says:

“Doctor, my hands are always cold and wet.”
    “Let me take a look… It seems that you’re holding a dead fish.”

3. Thirith says:

I have to confess to being confused. How could this be pronounced in an offensive way, unless anything that sounds like “Heil!” is offensive, whether for Nazi- or Hydra-related reasons?

4. cpt_freakout says:

Amazing little game, great find!

5. Gap Gen says:

I suppose there *is* only one ‘i’ in ‘bird’.

6. svest says:

The Asylum, a game where you treat abused toys, has a lot of similar appeal:

7. Ross Angus says:

Reminds me of Chris Morris, in his Blue Jam phase. So many sketches taking place in doctor’s rooms.

Comment on this story