Max Plantain: My Friend Pedro

By Alec Meer on May 17th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

or 'nanana', as my 1-year-old so eloquently puts it

There are two reasons I’m posting about Adult Swim-hosted action platformer My Friend Pedro. The first is that it comes from an ex-Media Molecule designer who worked on the well-regarded Tearaway (which I really must get around to picking up for my dusty Vita before too long), and the other is that it’s a gangster-murdering game about slo-mo combat which features what looks like a banana among its supporting cast. No matter whether the game be woeful or wonderful, that headline could not be squandered.

I know a banana and a plantain aren’t the same thing, but c’mon.

Of course it’s not woeful at all. Yeah, in the main it’s a bit Shooty-Bang Flash Game With One Of Those Soundtracks That Your Mother Thinks All Videogames Sound Like, but it escalates well into fluid and large environments with some neat, ragdolly physics, and it has some fun with with the concept of Pedro, the titular banana/plantain chum.

It’s free to play in your browser here, or here’s a trailer if you’re against that sort of thing.

File mostly under guilty pleasure, but it’s done well and to be honest I’ve recently sold myself short on games about shooting things and going ‘wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.’ Speaking of which, I wonder what I’m in for with Wolfenstein next week.

, , , .

1. guygodbois00 says:

Good luck with Wolfenstein, something tells me we are in for a big disappointment. Please, dispel this dark foretelling, and soon.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I am expecting “so surprised its not as shit as it might have been that it gets glowing review, despite actually still being quite shit [but takes a month for reviewers to quietly admit it in the third paragraph of some other article].”

2. amateurviking says:

Tearaway is a properly joyful experience. Really good.

Also, deep fried plantain is bloody delicious.

3. Gap Gen says:

Your 1-year old knows that it’s really Batman.

4. Tukuturi says:

Insofar as bananas are the fruits of plants belonging to the genus Musa, a banana and a plantain are the same thing. However, I suppose you could argue that while all plantains are bananas, not all bananas are plantains.

5. Flopper says:

As far as Wolfenstein goes… I predict it being awesome since everyone else is predicting it being shit.

6. welverin says:

“…Tearaway (which I really must get around to picking up for my dusty Vita before too long)”

SHAME!

a.k.a. Tearaway is great, you really should get around to playing it sooner rather than later.