The RPS Bargain Bucket: Mountain High

By Cassandra Khaw on May 17th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

Lightroom is going to eat my soul. Lightroom has already eaten my soul. After weeks of debate, I finally capitulated and resigned myself to purchasing the software. Then, it devoured my Saturday. All of it. Each and every moment not otherwise spent dealing with human ablutions and food. I am ashamed, but also hopelessly smitten with the software. (Do you have any useful obsessions, Bucketeers?) Fortunately, I managed to extricate myself long enough from Lightroom to hunt down a few, nifty bargains for you. Enjoy. I’m going back to cleaning acne from digital faces.

Rock of Ages
$1.50/£1.07/€1.31
Ah, Rock of Ages. I love describing it to people. (“What’s Rock of Ages? I’ll tell you what’s Rock of Ages. It’s this game where you play as a customizable boulder or pop-up people from across the ages desperately attempting to defend against an encroaching, smiling boulder from hell’s shroom-driven nightmares, that’s what.”) And while finicky and somewhat flawed, Rock of Ages is a genuinely unique experience. I’ll argue that it’s a better multiplayer diversion than it is a single-player romp, if for no other reason than the fact it’s absolutely hilarious to see people fleeing rocks. Rocks roll. You die. Delight in the absurdity (and the awesome art.)

Inherit the Earth
$1.79/£1.06/€1.31
I’m saddened by the notion of what Inherit the Earth could have been: a dark, gritty tale performed menagerie of talking bipedal animals. But that doesn’t mean this point & click adventure is bad. At least, not if you’re the sort who doesn’t mind having conversations with ambient personalities. Inherit the Earth isn’t the kind of game that shepherds you rapidly towards your game. Instead, it lets you wend and wind and sigh, drinking in the sights as you, Rif the Fox, go about attempting to clear your name. Unlike certain other titles from the era, Inherit the Earth won’t try to abuse your noggin too much. Appreciation for Inherit the Earth may be dependent on your tolerance for furries.

Robinson’s Requiem Collection
$1.79/£1.06/€1.31
If you die, get up and die, die and die again. Robinson’s Requiem is what you’d call non-commitally homicidal. It doesn’t really have an agenda against you. It’s murderous in the way human bathtime is murderous: dead things are simply an unfortunate consequence. The Robinson’s Requiem games make it incredible easy to expire, especially if you’ve gotten used to thrusting random food in your mouth in a fit of digital gluttony. Is it within you to hold yourself together, navigate the frailties of the human internal system and avoid breaking your limbs unnecessarily? Let’s find out. Make sure to avoid catching anything virulent.

Ironclad Tactics Collection
$5.10/£3.64/€4.47
Collectible card games are a weakness of mine, as are steampunk robots and strategy games. As such, it probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that I relished Ironclad Tactics to no end. The game’s an odd mix of ideas, tied together by a dream of an alternate Civil War. What if all those people had robots, hmm? What then? Ironclad Tactics can and will, from time to time, shock you with its difficulty. I found Ironclad Tactics best when played with a friend as multiplayer mode offered a clever twist to the resource system. (P.S: Bundle comes with SpaceChem. You need to play that if you haven’t already.)

Also of note

Dragon Age Pack -$12.49/£7.43/€9.12
Well, well, WELL. On the off-chance that you missed last week’s Dragon Age: Origins sale on Steam, here’s a way to make up for it. The collection includes Dragon Age: Origins’ Ultimate Edition and Dragon Age 2. Get ‘em while they’re, er, dragon-y?

The Bridge – $1.49/£1.04/€1.34
The Bridge is strange and beautiful, a puzzle game with a unique grasp of physics and some strange aesthetics. There’s relationship between Escher and Isaac Newton, casually wrapped about the game’s more cryptic moments. It’s good, it’s weird. It’s kind of cheap right now. Enjoy it. I know I did.

Clash of the World: USA – $1.00/£0.59/€0.73
Clever, retro-looking RPGs and girls with bunny ears? A shoot ‘em up that goes backwards? This Groupees’ bundle is an interesting one.

Humble Weekly Bundle – Pay $10.00/£5.95/€7.30 for it all
So, like, there’s a strong possibility that you’ve already checked out all the games in this week’s Humble Weekly Bundle but, bear with me. These are great, great games regardless of whether they’ve gotten critical attention or not. (Shank 2 and Mark of the Ninja hold special, blood-soaked places in my heart.)

Ben There, Dan That + Time Gentlemen, Please! – $0.99/£0.59/€0.72
Size Five Games’ deliciously silly, tongue-in-cheek adventure games have been on my backlog for years now. I keep meaning to finish them, but I haven’t found the time. But from what I can tell so far, they’re pretty witty, wonderful experiences.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Ive had great fun with rock of ages. Myself and 2 friends sitting by the computer, tackling the levels, taking turns. Fun, though I didnt go back and try it solo after that.

I have to say, i was disappointed by ironclad tactics. To me it seems like a puzzlegame, with a timer, something i hate.
    However, SpaceChem is the greatest puzzle game of all time (even though one level does have a timer, something i tend not to forgive in other games) and my contender for the greatest game of all time. Excellent puzzles, where every solution is yours, almost infinite solutions to each puzzle, with different metrics to aim for (speed, or efficiency, say) as well as a great UI (mouse and keyboard can both be used, solo or together) good music, nice look. Worth 10 times its price, even when no on sale.

Also check out Humble Bundle 8, its back for 5 more hours. Hotline miami and tiny and big are worth it alone, easily.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

You have the best name on RPS comments ever, Mr Full Pig. I felt you needed to know.

kfix says:

High praise, coming from the previous holder of the title.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

:D Mine is a little bit stolen though.
          Other options were “SmellMyCheeseYouMother”, “JetMiniBar”, “StopGettingBondWrong” or “CrackingOwlSanctuary”

• Laurentius says:

Spacechem is ingenious to the point that it probably should have won all consecutive awards for 2011, 2012, and 2013 because there were no games since then coming even close to its brilliance. (ok maybe Portal 2 and FTL but for different reasons ). And, after completing these chalanging puzzles and watching reacotrs going and molecules flowing is probably as satisfying as watching trains in TransportTycoon.

• malkav11 says:

I think Spacechem has some pretty fierce competition from the DROD games, and I think they work better for me overall because Spacechem doesn’t waste time becoming brain-explodingly hard. But it is still a fantastic game.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

What is this DROD of which you speak? Deadly Rooms of Death? There appear to be many entries. Do you have a recommendation as to where to start?

• malkav11 says:

That’s the one. If this was last weekend, GOG had the first three together discounted to about $3 so that would definitely have been the way to start. As it is they’re back up to $10, I think, which still makes for easily the best value, but you might still be better off with the latest. It is of course the furthest in the storyline but as I understand it, it’s been pitched at a more gradual difficulty curve that would be good for new players.

Or you could just download the demo of one or more of them – each demo contains something like the first five levels (of twenty-five) and that’s a lot of puzzling right there, certainly enough to get a good feel for how things go. Plus the demo is the entire game engine, just with a restricted demo version of the level file (“hold”), only one tileset (the tilesets are cosmetic), and lessmusic. So it supports playing fan created levels, of which there are many, some incredibly good. Some…weird. I have fond memories of the user hold “MetDROID Prime”, which, ah, loosely adapts Metroid Prime to the DROD engine.

• Darth Gangrel says:

When I saw DROD, I first thought of Charles Dickens’ unfinished novel The Mystery of Edwin Drood, but looking at wikipedia for the spelling of Drood I see that it’s spelled with two o’s, which disqualifies it as an alternative answer.

• Baines says:

To be fair, if someone is spelling a name with caps lock set, then maybe they aren’t exactly being cautious about whether they use one “o” or two.

• malkav11 says:

It’s an acronym. All caps is the only correct way to type it.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Spacechem is the best of all chems. I find myself enjoying even the early simple levels, spending an hour shaving a single beat from a loop, optimising a sync, shifting a command between tracks for aesthetic purposes, improving my factories by fractions.

2. d32 says:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for €3.74 at getgames.

And some new strange bundle site with Two Worlds Two and Two Worlds One for cheap:

shaydeeadi says:

Titanfall is also 40% off on Origin, £24.99. Or you can buy from their Mexican store via VPN/Hola for about £14.

Stellar Duck says:

Do note that they just stripped Capture the Flag as a game mode as well as Pilot Hunter, whatever that is.

• Bull0 says:

Which is weird, and they haven’t really said why. I imagine they’ll be back.

• Deadly Sinner says:

It’s because everyone plays one or two gametypes, and the PC community is smaller than the console community. It took five minutes to get a CTF game going because everyone played attrition. I’m not even sure if anybody played pilot hunter. Everyone used to play attrition, but now it’s variety pack that I get instant games in (on west coast servers, experiences may vary.)

I imagine Respawn will reinstate CTF if enough people clamor for it. They have been uncharacteristically attentive to the PC community for a company that works for EA. The only weird part about it is that they made a big improvement to the gametype shortly before they removed it.

Also, for anyone who doesn’t know, Respawn didn’t remove the gametypes entirely. CTF and Pilot Hunter is still playable in Variety Pack and private matches.

shaydeeadi says:

They used to do something like this on call of duty when the new packs came out, I’d imagine (and hope) that they put them back in a week or so.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Just don’t push it too much, Origin or Steam might ban you for using a VPN like that.

I often used it just to circumvent regional release dates and nothing bad ever happened ( anecdotal evidence, i know ), but stuff get messier if you actually use it like you’re suggesting.

shaydeeadi says:

There was someone on here a week or 2 ago intimating that Origin don’t mind but it makes it tricky to get a refund, obviously YMMV but if you don’t go crazy on it there should be no problems.

Half my variety pack games have been CTF so there is that. The new maps are pretty damn cool too. Highly recommended if you enjoyed the base game.

4. dE says:

Perhaps in somewhat related news, seeing as the keys probably came from Humble Bundles, Devolver Digital is revoking keys sold through G2A. So if you ever bought a Devolver Digital Game from G2A, prepare to have it disappear from your Steam Account.

This also raises the question just how exactly they figure out whether a key has been resold or just used normally as part of a gift. I imagine the gift-keys were all send to the same e-mail and they can channel it that way?
    Either way, this sucks for everyone involved.

Rizlar says:

Dragon Age Pack -$12.49/£7.43/€9.12
    Well, well, WELL.

Well, shit. I would have been totally into this if Steam hadn’t suckered me with their sale last weekend, I haven’t played DA2 and hear it isn’t quite as bad as it appears. Sort of assumed EA would avoid ever discounting it that heavily, but I guess the Inquisition hype train is running at full steam. :'(

jezcentral says:

Yeah, if you have to work for a living. You’ll have to start playing parts 1, 1a and 2 now, to finish in time for 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition Drinq.

• malkav11 says:

Don’t worry, DA2 still has like $50 worth of DLC that’s not included in that bundle or discounted at all, ever.

6. StranaMente says:

Can’t reccomend Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! high enough. They’re splendid point and click games bursting with funny writing, so much that finding the correct answer before hearing all the additional responses for the interactions with all the objects is a bit sad. And for that price is a steal. GO GET THEM!

• brulleks says:

Absolutely. Aside from the Blackwell series, these are my favourite PnC’s from the last ten years. I even bought a copy for all (read: both) my friends to ensure they got more exposure.

drewski says:

I liked them. Wasn’t crazy about them or anything, but they’re well designed and good for some chuckles. More than worth that price.

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hoot and Rambert :)
    I like to pronounce it the french way. Hoot and Rom-bear.

Gap Gen says:

‘oot, you mean*? In any case I worry that for the latest games you have insufficient ram.

Ohohoho.

*Mais en tout cas, c’est chouette.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

‘Oot! How did I miss that? :(
        Les Adventures de ‘Oot et Rambert. Only on Rock Plushie Bucket.

Gap Gen says:

An owl and a fuzzy ram went to sea, in a beautiful pea green bucket,
          They took some money, and plenty of honey, w- oh dear, these rhymes get rather dirty.

8. CookPassBabtridge says:

Re: Useful obsessions, I’m learning some quite good truck diving skills in Scania Truck Driving Simulator. Want to parallel park a lorry between some cones? I’m your man. Yes.

• TWChristine says:

That’s the one that made me buy ETS2. I had tried the first ETS and it wasn’t bad, but after playing Scania I thought “Why don’t they re-make ETS with these graphics!? It would be incredible!!” I like to think that my mental note was what caused the game to be, as not long after they announced it. :)

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Cool skill. Please can you start imagining how good Fallout 4, STALKER 2 and Half Life 3 will be? :)

9. mechabuddha says:

Blocks That Matter! What a great game, but thinking about the sequel (Tetrobot) makes me sad. I think it’s the better of the two, but hasn’t gotten nearly the same amount of attention.

10. HyperbolicInvective says:

If you want a literary point and click on the cheap, you can’t go wrong with any of Jonas Kyratzes’ stuff. Both the Fabulous Screech and The Book of Living Magic are entirely free and amazing. The Sea Will Claim Everything is much longer than either and also very good.

• The Random One says:

Your post is unrelated to the subject at hand and yet very true. In fact, I think the Kyratzes’ free, short form stuff is better than the paid ones. TSWCE is definitively worth a play though, and I was suprised not to see it in RPS’ advent calendar for that year.

11. FaceHaver says:

Good to see a Vandring Uggla making an appearance in the header photo! They’ve got quite the presence online these days (e.g., “Two out of three dancing owls like The Stanley Parable”).

12. darktatka says:

Bohemia Interactive has a lovely sale on Steam, Carrier Command was somewhat praised here on RPS.

• malkav11 says:

Carrier Command, last I heard, had some pretty bad problems with its AI that rendered it largely a waste. Though I think it’s also super cheap right now so, eh.

Also, ARMA Cold War (aka Operation Flashpoint, which many fans of the series still swear by) is or was entirely free as long as you snag it right now. Worthwhile, I’d say.

jezcentral says:

EA are giving away Plants v Zombies GOTY, on Origin.

14. Low Life says:

Some games got a special mention, but there’s a bunch of games on sale at Origin for the next day or so.

LTK says:

How has nobody mentioned the Stanley Parable for 50% off on Steam? Am I the only person who hasn’t bought it yet? Well, that’s remedied now.

• bill says:

Waiting for it to drop to a decent price…

My price-o-meter has been highly decalibrated by bundles, steam/gog sales and android games.

16. kalirion says:

IndieGala Friday Special bundle is pretty good for $1.49:

Level 22
    Kingom Elemental
    Slip
    Clickr
    Evy: Magic Spheres
    TR-Zero

And Bundlestars Wild Bundle is no slouch at $2.99 if you’re missing some of its better games:

Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
    A New Beginning – Final Cut
    Gateways
    Alien Zombie Megadeath
    Mutant Storm: Reloaded
    Astro Tripper
    Vitrum

17. ruaidhri.k says:

System Shock 2 is 80% off for the next 6 or so hours over at humble bundle (with steam key) https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/systemshock2_storefront

£1.19 . cant go wrong

• Mittens89 says:

System Shock 2 is an absolute steal at this price. Its such a great game. Any of those on the fence, buy it, stick some graphical mods on it and enjoy. It still makes me jump far too much (damn those random spawning hybrids).

Seriously, one of my favourite games of all time, along with Thief 1 & 2 (funny, that).

18. Baines says:

I laughed when I saw today’s Humble Daily Bundle. Humble had already been pushing the meaning of the word “bundle”, but today?

PWYW: Hammerwatch soundtrack and art pack (No game, and stuff you get for free in other bundles)
    BTA: Hammerwatch (currently $6.85)
    $8: 3 copies of Hammerwatch (Additional copies, I guess. Basically $8 for the Four Pack, plus OST and artwork?)

That isn’t a bundle. It is a sale for Hammerwatch.

EDIT: Even more funny/worse… If you only want one copy of Hammerwatch, you are better off buying it directly from the Humble Store, where it is currently on sale for $4.

• lomaxgnome says:

Even better, yesterday on the Humble Store, a single copy was $1.99.

• Baines says:

Even better even better, the PWYW soundtrack was already available for free before this bundle started.

19. Darth Gangrel says:

Hmm, useful obsessions? I’ve trained my brain to create puns to the degree that I almost do it involuntarily. Whenever I see something, anything really, my brain runs a quick association algoritm to decide if one can make a joke out of that something. “Eat my soul” makes me think of Lovecraftian horrors devouring your soul and condemning you to eternal anguish, the Dementors of Harry Potter, diablerie from Vampire the Masquerade, the Soul Stone from Diablo (well, it more like absorbs souls, but what is eating if not absorbing stuff) and other stuff.

If you hadn’t allowed(?) for Lightroom to eat your soul, I would have advised you to call for a soulicitor.