Modular Scrolls: Skyblivion Is Oblivion Remade In Skyrim

By Nathan Grayson on May 19th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Patch notes: replaced trees and grass with marginally better trees and grass.

Speaking personally, I find The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to be the weakest game of its storied lineage, but that doesn’t mean I think it was bad by any means. The prospect of exploring its world of idyllic countrysides, tastefully mudcrab-dappled waters, and screaming fire eyeball portals to hell remains an attractive one, and I’ll be especially keen to do so if Skyblivion sees the light of day. LikeĀ TESRenewal compatriot Skywind, Skyblivion is an attempt to remake Oblivion in Skyrim’s engine. Want to see how it’s coming along? Check out the trailer below.

Skyblivion is being handled by a team entirely separate from that of Skywind, so the two won’t end up butting heads in the race toward the finish. Skyblivion is also much, much, much earlier than its extremely exciting compatriot, so we’ve probably got a wait ahead of us before we can play it. So said the mod’s team:

“Skyblivion is very early in development and as you might have noticed textures and models are pretty much untouched at this point. This is where YOU come in. In order to do this project right we will need help from the community with either the development or simply spreading the word so that we can get people interested in helping out with this project (just like Skywind).”

The mod is already getting some pretty serious attention, so I doubt they’ll have too much trouble putting together a formidable team.

For now, though, what are your thoughts on Oblivion? Would you replay it if it looked a little spiffier? What about in a box? With a fox? While enduring an incredibly painful and potentially life-threatening pox?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Cinek says:

Oblivion? Really? Why bother? It was one of the worst games in a whole series.

• BobbyDylan says:

Indeed. Wake me when they make SkyFall.

• Squirly says:

Don’t you mean Skywind? Or are you waiting for a James Bond movie in Elder Scrolls format? Because the former is a thing, the latter not so much.

• steenies says:

He means Daggerfall redone in Skyrim. Which would be simply amazing. Considering the size of Daggerfall, possibly crazy too.

• Myrdinn says:

The chance they make Skyrim with Portal physics and all the cars (with physics) from Grand Turismo 5 (with guards paving the roads) is probably larger than the chance they recreate the entire Daggerfall landmass in Skyrim.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Just make the character creator and first dungeon of Daggerfall and you’ll have more inventive creatures, more interesting dungeon design, and more varied gameplay than in the whole of Oblivion.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Wasn’t Daggerfall procedural based? Real time procedural?

They could, however, go for in-house procedural, which is about 889,6% better, it can be manipulated and directly authored, which means is an artist’s tool rather than an artists replacement.

Then again you’d still have a static world, and not a different one every time. There is also the slight possibility that i’m taking the whole matter too seriously, off course.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Daggerfall had a lot of procedural content but also a lot of designed stuff, including several of the dungeons. I think the win-win scenario is to have a combination of the two. i.e. there are some things that absolutely must be set-pieces in a particular location/scenario because the narrative necessitates it, or because the prng just can’t come up with puzzles the way a human can (although Oblivion and Skyrim would have both benefited from whoever designed the puzzles being replaced by an algorithm!) but otherwise you can procedurally generate things to make sure no two people experience the exact same things in the same order as they play through.

Roguelikes have sort of almost had this with the idea of special vaults and uniques. The first RPG I ever played where I was aware that some bits of the level design were “random” was Chaos Strikes Back. Nobody has really taken that and run with it on a grander scale in a really story driven or puzzle driven RPG though.

It’s notoriously difficult to do without making things too random and maze-y in a negative way, or too much of a grind. I think you need more designed content than procedural content. However, especially in the case of Roguelikes, you usually get it the other way around.

So, in practice, you can have an in-house tool that lets level designers make these levels with procedural bits, they design their bits that must be hand crafted at design time and they connect them together with procedural areas, with certain parameters, which the game itself fleshes out at runtime.

• malkav11 says:

Considering that Daggerfall was largely procedurally generated, making it in any of the subsequent TES engines would almost certainly be impossible. You might maybe be able to put together the actual plot quests but as far as I know those aren’t the draw of the game and probably wouldn’t be worth the effort.

• geldonyetich says:

Portmanteau ease included, I too find Oblivion to be setting the sights a little low. It’s not like Skyrim made that many advances since Oblivion, anyway. Daggerfall was a lot more interesting than anything since Bethesda’s over-commitment to hand-crafted content.

• malkav11 says:

To each their own, I guess. I found the procedural content of Daggerfall so repetitive and bland as to put me to sleep, whereas the handcrafted worlds of the later games have been consistently rewarding for hundreds of hours (even Oblivion, easily the weakest entry.)

• waltC says:

Ditto–some guy is supposed to be doing a hires mod for Daggerfall, and looks promising–but you know how that goes. A few trailers, some screen shots, then the mod authors are abducted by aliens and never seen again…;) All these wonderful, mod ideas are brought to the fore by fresh, eager faces swearing to see them through to the glorious end and–poof! Here today, gone tomorrow….;) There’s also a remake of Ultima IX taking shape–again, “looks promising,” but…will it see the light of day? The $64k question…

Some actually make it, like Baldur’s Gate redone in the NWN2 engine–took years but the result was well worth waiting on, I thought. And the team is still working on further improvements! marvelous–but all to often as rare as hen’s teeth.

• Cockles says:

The trailer music for this had a Daggerfall-ish sound to it with the synth strings going up and down the scales, it made me think of the exact same thing; a re-imagined Daggerfall in Skyrim’s engine. It certainly had the most interesting plot of any of the Elder Scrolls series, even if it was confusing as hell. It makes me wonder why Bethesda left behind the themes of political squabbles and went for the saviour-of-the-world route over and over again.

• evileeyore says:

I’ll be over here waiting for Skyrena.

• Stijn says:

Eh, it was immensely popular and a ton of people (like me!) had a great time with it. I’m not sure a HD remake would add all that much, but either way it was a well-played and liked game. Maybe not universally, but then no game is.

• Alien426 says:

I suggest a new mod: Skyblowind!
      That is Morrowind remade to look like Oblivion… in Skyrim’s engine.
      Or ist that Morroblirim?

• bills6693 says:

I disagree, I had a great time with Oblivion and put lots of time into it. Conversely, I played Skyrim a bit but didn’t really feel engaged with it at all and gave up on it, I did not find skyrim that enjoyable.

I don’t know how much I’d actually play of skyblivion as really it’d be just the same game but prettier, and ‘prettier’ is very low on my list of needs for a game. But still appreciate the effort and will probably give it a whirl anyway.

• Alfius says:

Really? Oblivion was my entry point to the series and rocked my world back in 2006 in a way that Skyrim only came close to in 2011.

I’ve looked into Morrowind and IMHO it appears and plays too dated for me to enjoy it much, that and the crazy landscaping doesn’t appeal particularly. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll definitely be trying Skywind but Skyblivion excites me far more.

• Cinek says:

“Oblivion was my entry point to the series”- there’s your problem.

“it appears and plays too dated for me to enjoy it much,” –
        graphics > gameplay. And in terms of gameplay – Morrowind is a huge step up from Oblivion.

• Hebrind says:

Well, that’s all subjective isn’t it? I mean, I picked up Morrowind a few weeks before Oblivion came out, and after about 30 minutes of running around wondering why my arrows weren’t hitting things I had clearly hit, and then figuring out that it was all dice-roll-based in the background, I got bored and even reconsidered buying Oblivion because of it. I also didn’t find Morrowind to be that interesting a continent, either; it all seemed brown, washed out and a little bit Zergy for my tastes.

I’m really glad I stayed the course – I racked up more time in Oblivion than I can remember (Must have been over 300 hours, easily) and I was enthralled by it. Apart from the faces, it was beautiful; all those lush forests, dank sewers, and creepy dungeons. And as far as Skyrim is concerned, I love that game too. Beef it up with some visual upgrades and mods like Dance of Death and SkyUI, and it’s a place I love to visit.

Not everyone likes RPGs to be close to the pen-and-paper kind, and the popularity of games like Skyrim and Mass Effect kind of solidify this fact. I mean, I’m not saying they’re bad – I do enjoy DnD sessions when I’m in the mood for it – but I personally think that making everything a big old number-crunch kind of alienates a large percentage of the potential playerbase.

What *would* be really cool is if a developer who makes RPGs could make two versions of games, one for the more action-RPG type of player like me, who likes to see blood and have awesome fights and on occasion MASSIVE NUMBERS, and one for more traditionally-minded DnDers who like smaller big numbers (?) and find the tension of a dice roll to be more satisfying that seeing a shield slam into someone’s temple.

• malkav11 says:

And in graphics, once modded. Oblivion’s engine seemed shiny at the time, but in retrospect it’s actually kind of ugly in part because of the excessive shine, in part because of the weird potato people. Among other things. Honestly, that’s why I’m far more interested in this project than Skywind. Skyrim is a good game with many strong points, but it abandoned a lot of great stuff about Morrowind that is unlikely to get properly replicated in the Skyrim engine. And modded Morrowind already looks great. Meanwhile, Oblivion is an awkward middle ground, ditching much of what made Morrowind great, without yet having much of what makes Skyrim great, and as I say, overshiny and potato people, etc. There’s still some good stuff there that would be better off rescued into the superior Skyrim than in even the most modded Oblivion.

• Universal Quitter says:

There’s nothing worse than long-time fans of a series. I’ve had to deal with this shit playing DayZ, and frankly it’s getting a little tiresome. You played the earlier entries! We get it! No one cares! No one’s impressed! No one respects your opinion more because of it!

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Dunno, this is my girlfriend’s Oblivion screenshots after modding https://www.flickr.com/photos/welshpixie/sets/72157634948139258/ and they already look pretty good, I think. Does it need to be remade in a different engine? I guess what you will get is Skyrim’s gameplay.

3. Geebs says:

Never going to come out, I’m afraid. Those guys are far too busy making trailers :-(

4. frank3n says:

Or we can just play Oblivion. Or maybe just move on in general.

5. Kefren says:

My problems with Oblivion were two-fold.

Firstly, I hated the inventory system. I like to drag items on and off an image of my character. The old Might and Magic games always fulfilled that itch, Morrowind did it fine, but Oblivion felt like a step backwards.

Secondly, I designed a character in my mind then tried to build it in the game. I had come up with a monk who used a two-handed staff. Then spent hours trying to find the two-handed staff I imagined he had trained with for many years. I had advanced significantly far through the story before I came to the realisation that there were no two-handed weapons of this type IN THE WHOLE WORLD. The only staves I could find were silly magical willy-waving wands. My character became the most powerful being in the world yet was unable to pay a woodturner or weaponsmith to make him a stout rod of wood. I never want to experience that disappointment again.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Your character was a touch specific though wasn’t he? Mind you this was more or less the character I always chose to role-play when adventuring in the woods, when I was little.

Except that my staff could magically transform into a lightsaber, or a machine gun.

I long to play an RPG where weapons are treated as realistically as this. Because the current popular approach where there are swords than do 1-10 damage and then swords that do 900-10000 damage, is far, far sillier.

6. Keyrock says:

I get modding Skyrim to remake Morrowind in Skyrim, since Morrowind is the best (full) game Bethesda has ever made and Vvardenfell is genuinely an interesting place. But why remake Oblivion in Skyrim? Why remake Cyrodiil, a land even more boring and generic than Skyrim, in Skyrim? On the plus side, the dungeons and Oblivion areas will be a breeze to make. They can simply make one dungeon and one Oblivion area, then copy & paste it to make all the other dungeons and Oblivion areas, just like Bethesda did.

7. frightlever says:

I want Skyrim’s dual-wielding combat, Morrowind’s levitation/flying and Oblivion’s… Oblivion’s… huh.

8. rhubarb says:

I would be about a hundred times more interested in a mod that made Cyrodil a bit more like it was in the first Pocket Guide to the Empire.

9. Gothnak says:

Weirdly, the best Elder Scrolls game for me was Daggerfall. But then again, i’m old, and playing that when it came out was amazing, even if it was procedurely generated and a lot of the content was the same but with different encounters and enemies (see Dragon Age 2).

The first time i truly felt i was in a MASSIVE world and i could support which cities factions i wanted and annoy whichever other ones. Sure other games that have come later are prettier, the writing is better and the voice acting is still awful, but Daggerfall made me feel tiny. Great game.

I do remember going on a quest to find a Witch, her telling me to kidnap a Nobel’s child, getting the child, going back to the dungeon and refind the witch (as the dungeon has regenerated itself into a new layout), finding the witch and then her giving me an unbelieveable magic shield, which my character couldn’t equip. Was a 4 hour quest… for nothing :p.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Agree with you about Daggerfall, the size of it was staggering. Right from the moment you step out of that first dungeon, it’s overwhelming. The class creation system was also unlike anything I’d seen before, there was much fun to be had in that alone. There are so many little things that gave me great pleasure in Daggerfall that nobody probably ever thinks of as important to the game, but that added charm for me:

Multiple languages to try to talk to the monsters with.

Naked people in rooms in the inns and temples.

Ridiculously huge buildings.

Being able to wear armour on top of normal clothes (and then clothes on top of the armour).

Riding your horse through crowds of people in town.

Naked harpies.

Having mismatched pauldrons.

Naked witches.

The distinctive bright colours of the different sorts of weapons and armour.

Naked nymphs.

The ability to create totally inefficient character builds and spells and still complete and enjoy the game without having to stick to a list of approved archetypes or being bound by making the most optimal choices at every juncture.

Skills that improve by using them, not by spending points in trees.

NO QUEST HELPERS.

Absolutely no appearance of the demonic acronym “DPS”.

No gaudy numbers flying around and fading ethereally when you hit stuff (like the departed spirits of adventure and role-playing)

And of course the faction system.

And tits (well ok, they weren’t that little).

• Gothnak says:

I remember getting to the character level where Liches started appearing in Dungeons and the fact they moved silently and would kill my character with one spell. I used to save almost around every corner and jump with fright every time i heard a ‘door opening’ sfx play as Liches opened doors.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

If you make a class that gets to the highest level too quickly, you end up with liches and vampires everywhere. I swear I once got one of those “Help me kill the monsters in my basement” type quests, which are usually rats at lower levels, where the guy had a nasty infestation of Ice Atronachs. I wonder what sort of crumbs he had falling through his kitchen floorboards to attract those.

• Cockles says:

MY favourite was one the main quests where some mid-tier noble gives you a nudge/wink to investigate a missing prince from another family. Eventually you end up lost for a few hours in one of the game’s ridiculous dungeons and find a room with a werewolf which drops a note when you kill it (it could be that there is a corpse in the room with a note on it, can’t be sure).

Anyway, it turns out to be the diary of a child prince who was heir to the throne but is a massive bookworm and not much of a potential warrior-king, subsequently his younger brother is preferred by the parents due to his bravery and sword skills, obviously this doesn’t end well. One night, the young bookworm is thrown in to a sack and dumped in some dungeon, with the player finding his corpse. Pretty tragic.

10. JamesTheNumberless says:

I really liked Oblivion, having more or less skipped Morrowind (my PC at the time wasn’t good enough) sure I missed a lot of stuff from Daggerfall but it was great to return to that world again. The exploration, Elven ruins, the Arena, and the faction quests were the highlights for me.

Where it let me down was the general blandness of the world. The Oblivion dimension (plane, whatever) itself even becomes bland after the first couple of visits when you realize just how limited the scope of the Oblivion areas is – in fact this was the biggest let-down. Had they done a smaller realm but gone for a more designed Oblivion plane (with its own NPCs, quests, etc) they could have justified the blandness of the imperial province by having a sort of dark world/light world Zelda thing going on – or even just some more meaningful consequences (bad or good) to traveling in and out of the Oblivion gates – something more than just the opportunity to get good loot.

11. Vegard Pompey says:

I feel bad for the modders when TES X comes out. They’re gonna have seven previous games to remake in its engine.

12. dangermouse76 says:

One thing I so miss from Oblivion to Skyrim. Remember on 360 you could hot key stuff to the D-pad ? Well I put the Star of Azura on the up on the D-pad. My weapon was a bow that stole your soul; called the sandman. As I went thief ( ish ) any time I did a stealth kill I could switch quickly to Goldbrand or chillrend and instantly charge up the enchantment on it.

Loved that. It was also my first game in the series and I fail to be objective on that basis. Really enjoyed it. Collecting Weyland stones for god sake, awesome.

13. Shadow says:

I’m surprised nobody’s told them to stand down with Skywind and now this. I mean, they’re remaking mostly different, non-free games. I wonder if the IP holders are okay with this, or merely bidding their time until the remakes prove to be too much like the originals is a non-graphical fashion. It’d be a shame if the modders were instructed to take the mods down once they’re close to finished.

I suppose they might not care about games dead from the sales perspective, if these mods will encourage people to purchase the latest, more expensive incarnation.

• frightlever says:

Typically you need to have both games installed for the remake to work. Even Open Morrowind requires that you own original Morrowind.

14. fish99 says:

I tried to replay some Oblivion recently, and was shocked how empty the world feels, especially outdoors. In Skyrim if you stood still and did a 360 in most places in the world, you would see something – animal, enemy or NPC, often several things. In Oblivion you can wander the world for 10 minutes and bump into nothing. Even the towns feel mostly empty. I wasn’t expecting the big drop in visual quality either.

As for this mod, it seems like a somewhat pointless endeavour since I can’t imagine there’s a big audience for it.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

It’s funny now to see a (true) comment like this since Oblivion was, probably until Crysis came out, most people’s benchmark for a really graphically demanding game. I was so impressed by the view across the lake near the start of Oblivion that I had a screenshot of it as my desktop background for about a year. I don’t think I had a PC that could play it on max settings until about 2009.

• particlese says:

Ah, the Oblivion desktop! I had that official one of some rocks in the woods as my desktop background for a long time. It was amazing for a while once I got to play it, buuuuut…

I ended up using some ~100 mods for Oblivion (and Skyrim, for that matter), but if I had to whittle it down to one, it would be, without doubt, the Unique Landscapes project. I’m cheating a little since you can pick and choose which areas you want modded, but the compilation makes the outdoors soooo much more interesting, and without adding any out-of-character junk like super-mega-turbo-epic bosses or “funny” books or whatever — at least as far as I saw. My frame rate was stuck around 25Hz as a result, but for me, smoother combat was not worth the relatively boring outdoors. I can only say I thoroughly enjoyed exploring Oblivion because of this mod blob.

The Better Cities mod blob helped the towns a lot, too (ignoring frame rate), but Unique Landscapes is the one I absolutely require since that’s where I prefer to explore. :)

I did have some major beefs with Oblivion, but exploring the outdoors and speedrunning the Oblivion areas (including acrobatting my way over the lava moats, thereby skipping the tunnels) were things I remember pretty fondly.

• particlese says:

[replying to self because of link limit]
          Heeeeere we go. So realistic it hurts!

Actually, it’s still quite nice, now that I’m staring at it again…not as shiny as newer games, but pleasantly foliated. (Not quite the word I wanted, but tenuously/punnishably suitable.)

15. Gargenville says:

Even at the time it was clear Obli was the weakest of Scrolls but seeing as these games are basically the only entires in their own subgenre I still spent hundreds of hours with it. Wouldn’t mind having a stroll around a HDremixed version just for nostalgia’s sake.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I agree, the worst Elder Scrolls game is still going to give you things that no game from another series really can. I don’t even know what it is. The setting is dull, the writing is trite, the races and characters and history are feeble and most of the actual gameplay is repetitive… Objectively you’re better off reading a book really.

• Punde says:

I don’t mind Oblivion’s dated graphics (and there’s many mods for that), but it would be nice to have Skyrim’s combat system and more fluid gameplay. There are mods for that too, I had to install a skyrim-style sprint function to Oblivion because the controls, movent and combat in Oblivion seemed very clunky after so many hours in Skyrim.

But honestly I think this will be another vaporware mod, too ambitious.

16. aliksy says:

I really disliked oblivion. The level scaling is my go-to example of how not to do level scaling, or how to make the whole game feel pointless. Why bother exploring a cave when you know you’re only going to find “level appropriate” enemies and loot. Fucking boring.

And the other problem (that Skyrim made worse), is that they cut out interesting complexity from Morrowind. Fewer equipment slots, fewer enchantment options, fewer spells. I liked being able to put a cloak over my armor, or have separate enchantments on each glove.

I don’t care that oblivion was pretty. It was a hollow, frustrating experience.

17. Voice of Majority says:

I understand all the enthusiasm to remake Morrowind in a more modern engine, but Oblivion – why?

18. RanDomino says:

It only took me about 130 mods (requiring a six-month certification in Wrye Bash from a technical school) to make Oblivion decent. FCOM is necessary, as well as about eight gigs of HD textures, anti-crash widgets, movement tweaks, immersion (bow sway! a bugfix imo), unofficial patches, new content… This brings it up to about 2010 standards. But Oblivion XP makes it worth it.

19. Biaxident says:

Seems like a massive waste of time and effort.

20. PenGunn says:

Seems like a waste of time. I’ll be playing ESO well into the foreseeable future across all of Tamaril.

It just get better and better. Now I have learned a few things the combat is just delicious. I have 7 actual chars with 4 fighters to cover the various possibilities.

Rocking several combat mods and this puppy is immense fun. Gotta go get my cook to make some more hi power snacks for my VR1 son.

The rest of TES is obsolete. I do have over 800 hours in Skyrim and a hundred across the other games so I do have some slight experience with the series.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Plus you’ve made a fortune from whatever they paid you to write this comment, way to go!

Joking aside though… It must have been thousands!

No, really, without kidding this time. I expect I’ll give TESO a good go at some point when I have less work on, however I can’t imagine it ever taking the place of having a really good new single player TES game to sink my teeth (and my hours) in to and I expect I would drop it the second the next one came out.

• PenGunn says:

It’s really the combat. It is just wonderful. Nothing like the single player games, better for the fantasy world TES.

My Dark Elf owns Skyrim. Houses everywhere, the head of nearly everything and if I go fire it up I am a demi god there. Three Frost Trolls are 6 swings. Boring generic combat and slow.

ESO is just insane. I play games for combat, Stalker is still my favorite game but now it is threatened by an … MMO?

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I made a TESO account last night, but then I realized I have to buy the full game to get to try it out. An MMO without a trial option, in this day and age, was a bit of a surprise. I think I’ll wait a few months until they start offering a way to play for free.

21. Arglebargle says:

No Bethesda game promised more and delivered less than Oblivion.

Beside the usual ‘I like what I played first’ biases, Oblivion has a ton of technical and design issues.

For me, the few good parts couldn’t buoy up its overwhelmingly crappy mediocrity.

22. Adolif4 says:

Seeing as to how Oblivion was better than both Morrowind and Skyrim combined, I find this to be a disgrace…to Oblivion!

23. Universal Quitter says:

Criticizing the fan least-favorite. What a bold choice.

24. green frog says:

Eh, I think this project is pretty much a waste of time, and I liked Oblivion. Just load it up with mods and call it a day. It’s not like there’s any shortage of ways to make Oblivion prettier already. Why go through all the hassle of trying to port the whole thing into a new engine? I don’t get it.

Morrowind, now that’s another story. Regardless of how you feel about the merits of Morrowind vs. Oblivion, the former is a lot more technologically dated. It could use the conversion more. Though even then, I might have preferred they simply polish up Morroblivion rather than start all over with Skywind. What are they going to do when TES VI comes out? Remake it a third time? Seems like a lot of work.

25. ZippyDSMlee says:

Uhg Skyrim is an utter bore from a gameplay standpoint its just too easy you level to quickly and the equipment is bland as hell. Oblivion is an improvement. I wish they’d go back to morowind then added the perk system of skyrim and made the hit rolls and equipment degradation optional.

Also since degradation and other things are hard coded or need to be hard coded its a loss to port morowind over to Skyrim, now port it over to Oblivion and up the textures that would be great.

Can’t wait to see how lackluster and watered down FO4 will be…… hell NV is better than FO3 for the most part……and its not a beth game…….

Comment on this story