Well, When You Put It That Way: Kill The Bad Guy

By Ben Barrett on May 19th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Cars. Like sneaky houses.

Sometimes, I’m not exactly after a moral dilemma. I don’t want to weigh the choices between two opposing factions in a deep and meaningful world. I’m not after thrilling vistas or twisting, surprising plotlines. I just want to be pointed at a dude, told he’s not very nice and told to dispose of him. Kill The Bad Guy adds wrecking balls, police-barricade-fired rail spikes and all manner of other brutally efficient means to disembowel and decapitate. Built around the rather flimsy plot of a secret society taking out criminals and other do-badders, any similarities with the real world end rather quickly. It’s a collection of mono-chrome playgrounds built purely for creating a spectacle of the death of a masked man through cunning placement of physics objects and good timing. A trailer, demo and deets if you can prove to me you’re not one of them.

You can grab a demo, released in conjunction with a cancelled (presumably due to failing) Kickstarter earlier this year, here. No part of it is especially original, from the graphical style to the trap setting puzzle nature, but enjoyable all the same. It’s a little crass, but we’re talking about Acme Corporation: The Game here, so it’s to be expected. The no-nonsense premise is endearing in an age of Kevin Spacey government conspiracy plots and world spanning faction warfare, though I’m not sure how much bigger than the demo the idea can get. Perhaps more importantly – will people be willing to pay for it, as the Kickstarter suggests they won’t? My guess is that it will depend on the price tag come the May 28th release date.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Now I want to make a game called “Find It In Your Heart To Forgive The Bad Guy”

2. phlebas says:

Twist ending: He wasn’t the bad guy after all. You are.

3. Kikas says:

The blood splattering does take away from all the ACME-ish atmosphere. Imagine if Wily E. Coyote bled everytime he got hit. Sure, he got casts, he got sliced up, but it was all cartoonish. I think this game would have a lot more charm without the blood and with a more childish approach.

• The Random One says:

That’d essentially be Happy Tree Friends. The trick is, either have way too much blood, or no blood at all.

• LionsPhil says:

I dunno, the way he’s made of rare steaks loosely held together by friction gives it its own kind of early-FPS-gibs cartoonishness.

I mean, his head falls clean off from a sign swinging down into it. Unless you are a deeply unlucky of frail individual, reality would give you a broken nose at most.

4. altum videtur says:

Someone really oughta make a game where you control a team of *insert intelligence agency here* agents who have to assassinate terrorists and leaders of enemy factions. Could be a little like Commandos, mixed with Hitman.
    -slip them some rat poison
    -shoved down three flights of stairs
    -snipped in a park
    -car bomb on the street, civilian casualties compensated for with patriotic fervor

You could name it Wrath of God if you wanted to be super political (and get assassinated).

5. Piecewise says:

So…it’s Deception, the long running playstation franchise, but with worse graphics and traps?

6. PurpleStuff says:

Reminds me of that c64 Cliff Hanger game.

c64 Cliff Hanger Longplay

7. SuicideKing says:

That’s pretty much Borderlands 2.

“I DISAGREE WITH THAT REVIEW. KILL THEM ALL.”

Comment on this story