Worry Not: There Will Be No More Witcher 3 Delays

By Nathan Grayson on May 19th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

In a moment that nearly bled the world’s supply of frowny face emoticons dry, CD Projekt recently announced that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt won’t be vaulting, cavorting, or Geralt-ing about until February 2015. The hunt, at this particular moment, is off. But you know what? I think I’m gonna be OK. I think… yeah, I’m gonna be alright. I’ve endured worse, like that time I was born into a cold, unfeeling world of chaotic fury that could snuff me out in a heartbeat and also the third Batman movie not being very good. I am strong. I am immovable, indefatigable. I’ll carry on unless… unless, well, The Witcher 3 gets delayed again. Pretty sure that’s my breaking point. CD Projekt, however, swears it won’t happen.

CDP head Marcin Iwinski explained it to Eurogamer on no uncertain terms:

“This is not our first game; we are not newbies. It’s not like ‘hey we are delaying and we’ll keep on delaying’. If we would think we need more time we would say ‘hey we’ll release it not in Feb but, I don’t know, June’. We made the decision at the moment we were able to judge how much time we needed, and we planned it well and it works well for us. So, no more delays.”

The delay, then, will allow CDP to get everything just right after they’ve more or less finished making the game proper. To look down after climbing the mountain and see everything with renewed perspective. ”Is the beginning of the game self explanatory or not? What is the difficulty level, how does it spread through the game?” Iwinski said, offering examples.

So that’s that, then. The Witcher 3 will be out in February 2015, no ifs, ands, or buts. But maybe some butts, because you know… The Witcher.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Orija says:

The Witcher 2 will be better.

2. Megakoresh says:

Pretty sure this is because of the console release at the same date. Previously they were quite on terms with releasing the game and fixing it up with patches every week for a few weeks afterwards :P

Not that I mind, I am quite glad they delayed it till Feburary, because that means W3 won’t ruin my grades…

• BobbyDylan says:

Indeed. I found the combat in W2 to be murderous if you had >1 opponent at launch.
      I went back for a replay a few weeks ago, and it’s now waaaay easier. I was much relieved.

3. Noviere says:

This means that Cyberpunk probably won’t be out until 2016 at the earliest :(

• Cinek says:

It’s release date never was announced and fans speculated 2016-2017 for quite a while already, so…. I don’t know why the sad face.

• Thule says:

It’ll be released in 2077. It’s in the title, silly.

• caff says:

I will happily wait for eternity to see Cyberpunk made.

Well ok, two years max.

4. w0bbl3r says:

This is both great news and the worst news (gaming-wise) I have heard this year (after the news that they are making more metro games).
    It’s great news that the game isn’t being rushed, and knowing CDPR they will keep it until they are happy (and still release tweaks and fixes after release until their audience are as happy as possible).
    But it’s horrible news because I just can’t wait that long for the witcher 3. I can’t do it. It’s just physically not possible for me to wait that long.

• cpt_freakout says:

Let’s commit suicide by fading away slowly into the ether

5. Cioomperkoi says:

THERE WILL BE NO MORE TALK OF SEXUAL PLEASURES!

6. Xyviel says:

The later it comes out, the better the graphics card I’ll be able to afford to run it decently will be. :-)

7. Ubik2000 says:

You know, I think this is actually good news – gives me more time to getting around to finally finishing Witcher 2. Which will probably mean restarting yet again. Oh well.

How did that Combat Rebalance mod work out? Worth using? I was waiting on a final version to be released for a while there.

• Tree Frito says:

Can’t help you with the W2 Full Combat Rebalance mod, but I very much enjoyed the first game’s FCR mod. It made the monsters less frequent and more powerful, and overall made the combat feel fast and deadly.

I haven’t tried the second game’s FCR yet, but I’ve read that it is pretty tough and makes blocking/quen kind of confusing: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1gtjzu/witcher_2_playing_through_the_new_combat/

• beasley66 says:

The mod works well but there is one issue. One of the recipes that you need to complete a mission has been removed from the game. But that mission only happens if you side with one character.

I wont go in to spoilers about it but just as a heads up

• Ubik2000 says:

Even in the latest version (which I think is 1.2)? It seemed like he was fixing a lot of bugs…

8. Frank says:

Nah, go ahead and continue delaying it. My comp can’t even play W2.

9. Bradamantium says:

My only sore spot with The Witcher’s delay is that I picked up Bound By Flame to fill the void it would’ve occupied. It looked juuust Witcher-y enough, but no, it’s only like The Witcher in the same sense that beating Geralt on the head, spinning him in a dozen circles, and asking him to sell his game to you would be. CDPR owes me $40, or a substantially better game by release, dammit.

10. Phantom_Renegade says:

What, another delay? Damnit, you know what this means, don’t you? It means that I’ll have to pass the time somehow and will be forced to get, shudder, Dragon Age 3…. This is on you CDPR. I hope you’re happy.

• DarkSaber2k says:

No, Feb 2015 is the same delay that was already reported, not a new delay.

11. Samwise Gamgee says:

I loved the third Batman movie. I thought it was the best of the three and went to see it twice in the cinema. I planned to go a third time but laziness prevailed. However Nathan Grayson I shall not fight you nor berate you, I shall simply marvel at the wonder of opinions in this crazy world in which we live.

12. Sardukar says:

Ahhhh. It’s just 273 days or so. Depending on release week. Not that long!

And Cyberpunk after. So really, it’s like Christmas followed by….better Christmas!

13. cpmartins says:

My wallet opened itself and exposed my 50$ to this article. Should I be worried?

14. Perkelnik says:

Thats good news. First of all, I have massive backlog, as probably everybody (not mentioning there will be few major steam sales… damn!). Second, I plan to build new rig for W3 to be able to enjoy it fully, meaning I can buy it later and save precious money. It’s a win-win situation, if you ask me :)

15. Darth Gangrel says:

Well, that’s fine, I’m just getting started on the bonus material in The Witcher 1′s Enhanced Edition, while also watching out for when someone or something will offer The Witcher 2 up for the right price.

16. HisDivineOrder says:

Wow. They’re going to totally delay it again. They jinxed themselves. It’s happening now.

17. Maruk says:

Looks like what I expected Skyrim to be. Sweet!