No Thank You: World Of Diving Goes Deep Down

By Alice O'Connor on May 19th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

No I'm fine, thanks.

World of Diving had, until now, looked so very merry. Sparkling blue embraced reefs swarming with neon fish, and sweet air was only a few metres above our heads. Turns out, it’s not a cheery diving sim but actually a dreadful horror game. The last update added the wreck of the SS Yongala, lying in 30 metres of water. That might not sound deep, but it may as well be a mile as far as I’m concerned. Have a peek at the accompanying trailer and see if you too pull an appalled face when you see the sharks circling between the diver and the dim, distant daylight.

You’ll note that the update’s changelog also details improvements to shark animation. Great. Fantastic. Wonderful. On the bright side, it does also pretty things up in general and improve fish AI, so the shallows will be more pleasant than ever. Good old shallows.

World of Diving is still in alpha but offering access through pre-orderering, as is all the rage nowadays. $20 (£12) will get you dev builds and a handful of coins to spend on customisation bits. Diving’s really just an excuse for choosing, customising, and arguing about gear, so I hear.

Look at this and tell me it’s not terrifying:

, .

Mungrul says:

Eels.
    Congers, Morays, etc.
    They add those bastards, this is officially the most scary thing in my world.

• GernauMorat says:

“Eels up inside ya, finding an entrance where they can”

• Darth Gangrel says:

Aaah, the weird part of youtube, I love it!

phuzz says:

That’s not a weird bit of youtube, that’s a BBC TV program, The Mighty Boosh.
          One of those times when I’m happy to pay my license fee.

• Tams80 says:

^ I was just about to type that exact comment!

It’s absolutely not the ‘weird part of Youtube’. The Mighty Boosh is proper telly I’ve have you know!

• Darth Gangrel says:

I was of course just kidding, I’ve seen much worse, much weirder things on youtube. From the related clips I could also tell that it was from The Mighty Boosh, which is on my to-watch sometime-in-the-future-list. So sorry for any offense I might have caused.

2. Asurmen says:

My first thought was “Surely Wargaming.net need to add World of Ships before adding World of Diving?”

Harlander says:

All the World of x games are just a really long content-generation method for a series of archaeology MMOs

RedViv says:

World of… THE WORLD

• The Random One says:

World of Worlds, surely. Players each control a world and must carefully follow their orbits or be torn apart by their own gravity.

3. Firkragg says:

After reading the headline, for one horrible moment I thought World of Diving had been cancelled. Thank the gods its not.

4. frightlever says:

Yep, I’m not good with water.

I played “Reef Shot” a bit – which was kinda boring – taking photos of fish and crashed WWII airplanes.

I’m not sure why people want to swim around taking pictures. And in the game.

5. TechnicalBen says:

So I’m the only one thinking it looks wonderful? :(

• gschmidl says:

Nope, I couldn’t be more happy I backed this.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

No indeed. I loved Endless Ocean on the Wii. I mean, everything around the diving was cheesy as Hell, but the diving was sublime. Looking forward to this.

• CaidKean says:

Endless Ocean is great.

I hope you’ve also played their (spiritual) predecessors on the PS2, Everblue.

Artdink’s Aquanaut’s Holiday series is also pretty neat.

Martel says:

I think this looks great. They’re going to support VR right?

Chaz says:

No I thought it looked quite relaxing too.

6. Shadrach says:

I’ve dived on the actual Yongala, it was awesome. The amount of life down there is just staggering, so much that I think you would’t be able to simulate the millions of fish in a game.

Earlier shots from this looked a bit too shiny and “artificial” but these latest shots look like a more realistic experience.

7. Winged Nazgul says:

I recommend a book called “Shadow Divers” on the real lives and deaths of deep divers and their fascination for shipwrecks. A great and gripping read.

8. Einhaender says:

It’s a pleasant surprise to see an ocean themed game that doesn’t depict sharks as “enemies”. At least from what you could see in that short video.

That’s actually a huge plus for me, because I’m getting quite sick of the depiction of sharks in games.

Chaz says:

And what game depictions of sharks would you be finding rather irksome then?

• oyog says:

Perhaps Farcry 3, for example. Granted, it did seem like a lot of the time the sharks were just defending themselves from my knife…

9. soopytwist says:

Pah, not terrifying at all. Sharks don’t want to eat you as much as you don’t want to eat them. Now stick a kraken in there or a megladon…then were talking.