Free Thinking: POP Methodology Experiment One

By Adam Smith on May 20th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

The video just below the break will probably tell you all you need to know about POP Methodology Experiment One. In fact, you probably don’t need to go that far because the title is something of a giveaway, isn’t it? It’s a far cry from WarGun and a fairly good indicator of what you’re letting yourself in for when you download the game. And you can do that, for free, by opting into the self-proclaimed ‘Greenlight Bribery Scheme‘. Vote for the game on Greenlight and receive a Humble gift code. Simple. A mutual scratching of backs and greasing of wheels. As the POP One website states, “Vote for POP on Greenlight immediately and help secure Valve’s grasp on the industry!” DO IT NOW.

Each section of the game is a standalone vignette, constructed to accompany music that was produced beforehand. Creator Rob Lach utilises an association technique, which I choose to call ‘improvised speedy thinking’, whereby the first images and ideas that come to mind when listening to the music are seized upon and converted into a small interactive sequence. The results are occasionally brilliant and the quick switches between styles stave off tedium for longer than you might imagine.

An unusual game and an unusual bribery scheme. Here’s a slightly less tremulous trailer.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. frightlever says:

I don’t have sound on my work PC, but that video uses Bananarama as a backing track, right? Right?

2. RobinOttens says:

0 keys left. That didn’t last long..

3. Sleeping_Wolf says:

I remember buying and playing this a couple of years ago (possibly via Kotaku AU).. Don’t know if how much has changed since then but it was definitely an experimental experience! Some of the vignettes were more enjoyable than others and possibly some repeated but a great experience overall.

4. Just Endless says:

Huh. After having it sit on my hard drive for >1 year, I casually decided to play this 12 or so hours ago. It’s pretty good, if you have the patience. The pacing of it’s vignettes is a little spotty; they’re 3-5 minutes each, and of the 6, some are considerably more worth your 3-5 minutes than others. Realllllly cool aesthetic, though. I totally recommend.

5. The Random One says:

I played this when it came out. It’s pretty weird and nothing really spectacular but mostly interesting enough it’s worth a play. It’s kind of like if Anodyne’s creators remade a pack of thecatamites’ games.

Hodge says:

I played it upon release too, and my sentiments echo those already said: Some vignettes are better than others but it all fits together really well.

It’s probably worth avoiding if the ‘not a game’ thing riles you up, though. The scenes are interactive but not really to any meaningful degree, and the whole thing reminded me more of a scene demo from the Amiga days. Which suited me fine but YMMV.

It was pay-what-you-want when I bought it, and in reward for paying above the average I got sent a bunch of signed promotional stuff which was pretty awesome. I didn’t really know what to do with it all so it just floats around in my study, occasionally surfacing when I’m looking for a receipt and making me smile every time.

7. cylentstorm says:

Did anyone here actually read the very important Message about Piracy on the homepage?

8. MrFinnishDude says:

I checked out the website and I immediately fell in love.