Na Etc. Look, A Batman: Arkham Knight ‘Gameplay’ Trailer

By Alice O'Connor on May 21st, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

How pleased I'll be if the game looks like this for me.

To go out with a bang, and perhaps to shake up the slightly stale series, Batman: Arkham Knight is introducing a drivable Batmobile of your very own to pootle around Gotham City. Nipping down to the shops to buy Shark Repellent Bat Spray, dropping Robin off at school, taking Catwoman out for a night on the tiles, oh what fun you’ll have! The first “gameplay trailer” gives a peek at Brucie behind the wheel, though it’s a gameplay trailer in the sense of “mostly cinematic snippets with a few seconds of gameplay spliced cut in.”

Arkham Knight will see Scarecrow uniting a load of Bat-Villains in an attempt to murder Batman, a bit like a big comic book summer event. Harley Quinn, Two-Face, Penguin and all that motley lot will be cruising for a bruising and Brucie does have fine wheels for cruising. The new trailer shows the Batmobile even driving up and along the walls and ceiling of a tunnel, which I dearly hope is something Bat-players get to do at will rather than simply watch in cinematics. My limited understanding of cars is that they can do that if they go fast enough, and that it’s wicked cool.

While the last game in the series, prequel Batman: Arkham Origins, was made by the Warner Bros. Montreal studio, this time creator Rocksteady Studios are back behind the Bat-Wheel. Supposedly it’ll be the last Arkham game, though one would hardly be surprised if another Batman series with a new name follows it.

The game’s due later this year, specifically on October 14 if the Steam listing is to be believed.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. HothMonster says:

I can’t wait to learn the weak story explanation for why the streets are entirely devoid of life, except for thugs, this time around.

• MkMax says:

they already gave it, first line in the trailer “abandon the city or i will unleash your greatest fear” (while showing chemical weapons)

• HothMonster says:

ahhh, no sound for trailers at work, I just skipped through looking for the “gameplay” part.

2. Lemming says:

What the hell they got rid of Scarecrow’s cool voice from the first game? :,-(

3. MuscleHorse says:

Those syringe gloves look impractical.

4. chewghosts says:

2.9% (4 seconds) of the “gameplay” trailer features actual gameplay.
    Finding gameplay in trailer is a more interesting meta-game mechanic than driving a batmobile and punching thugs in dark alleys.

Colonel J says:

Suddenly it becomes a better game when I read it as Batman: Arkham Ker-niggit.

6. gunny1993 says:

Shit, the crack fox rises again

[]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJrmTRz5ks&feature=player_detailpage#t=706[]

7. Raiyan 1.0 says:

And you would be absolutely correct.

jezcentral says:

At least you can’t actually buy the game yet, unlike CODAW, more than six months before it comes out.

strangeloup says:

I’m glad it’s going back to the original devs, at least, because I picked up Arkham Oranges recently and it’s buggy as all hell. In the first 20 minutes I had a boss glitch in and out of invisibility, and then all the sound cut out for no apparent reason, and if reports are to be believed, these aren’t even the worst bugs.

• Somerled says:

That bug pissed me off to no end when I played Origins. Turns out it’s a long standing bug that only happens at that one point in the game (literally minutes in and then never again), so I calmed down and got back to crippling misguided hooligans. Game CTDs once in a while, but it’s totally playable and still a quite decent Arkham game.

10. Frank says:

I wish they’d come up with another name. This one is so forgettable… places or events would be far better. Where is my Arkham Siege?

Jalan says:

It fits though, despite having told myself that I don’t want to obsessively muse over who actually is the Arkham Knight. It’s less about Arkham as a place now and more focused on the characters at large. Though no Dino Andrade as Scarecrow is just sad. I guess it makes up for it by having Conroy back.

And as an added bonus, David Buckley is working on the score with Nick Arundel.

• w0bbl3r says:

The name I was hoping for would be a spin on the first two games (not counting origins, because that wasn’t really worthy of being in the series).
      So we have arkham asylum, then arkham city, then a spin on that would be…. gotham asylum.
      See what I did there? Clever, eh?

11. retrogandon says:

Good post,cool trailer

Colonel J says:

(Edit: Re: Arkham Siege)

They’ll be mining this franchise for a while so it’s bound to come up.

I’m pinning my hopes on Arkham Agriculture. Just think of the bat-gadgets.
    Also Batman: Arkham Decorator is appealing.

• subedii says:

Rocksteady have already said that this is the end of the trilogy and that they’ll be moving on to other things after it.

Rocksteady have been doing Batman games since 2006.

“We knew where we wanted it to go,” said Hill. “We don’t work on multiple titles at the same time. We just work on the one game, and we want it to be the single best thing. We make it like it’s the last game we’ll ever get to make.”

He went on, “And it felt like the right way to end the story. I felt like it brought the arcs from first and second game, from Asylum and City, to a close. It felt like the natural fit really. We’ve been doing Batman games for a long while now. We wanted to put everything into this one and really close the trilogy with a bang.”

• w0bbl3r says:

It’s the end of the “trilogy” is right. But not the end of the series.
        There are FOUR games, not three. That’s not a trilogy.
        But origins doesn’t count (to me) because it just wasn’t the same class act as the first two games, from rocksteady.
        But I can guarantee you this series will live on. That’s why they made WBM make that shitty filler game in the first place; to see if people would buy the game made by another developer.
        They did, and so WBM (or maybe even a cheaper, lesser known studio with no experience) will continue to make them after rocksteady have moved on to something new.
        I won’t be buying any more arkham games after this one if rocksteady aren’t developing. But I am also glad they are calling it a day.
        I hate when a franchise goes on and on and on until it’s just not wanted or liked anymore (assassins creed, call of doody, for instance). When that happens nobody remembers that the series started out as something great (again, assassins creed, call of doody), and only think of it as the yearly trash that won’t just fuck off and die.
        Glad rocksteady are ending this (at least their part in it, the TRUE arkham games) on top form.
        This looks awesome, even though the gameplay is minimal. The new suit, the bads, the city, all look fantastic. I can’t wait.
        But the batmobile looks like shit. Copied the one from the recent movies, which I thought looked terrible. I wish they had used a similar design to the arkham asylum batmobile, because that looked fantastic.

13. GameQB11 says:

Am i the only one who thinks the new Bat suit is the worse one yet? He looks like a cyborg.

• Creeping Death says:

It definitely had me thinking more “Iron Man” than “Batman” for sure.

• SillyWizard says:

Yeah…Batman’s transition from “World’s Greatest Detective” to “Guy Who Can Punch Real Hard” isn’t very compelling.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I like it. It looks like he is wearing Street Hawk

14. Creeping Death says:

What a shitty “gameplay” trailer.

Can anyone out there with superior Bat-Knowledge tell me who the guy is that is holding a gun to Batman’s head at the end?

15. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Looks little more than an Arkham City follow up in a much larger environment. But graphically its still using UT3.9 apparently so not exactly a true nextgen title just a more VRam useage PC GPU friendly title.

16. ruaidhri.k says:

Is that john noble doing the voiceover?

17. MichaelGC says:

Sodium etc?

18. gaiusimperator says:

Do you hear that? That’s the sound of my GTX 760 screaming out in fear.