As Open As Your Goal, Mate: FIFA World Open Beta

By Alice O'Connor on May 21st, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

I tried to find the worst keeper in the Premier League to make that headline even more hilarious but, unexpectedly, it seems people disagree about this. Look, I don't know.

Association football is, in many ways, the greatest real-world PC game. It’s a squad-based real-time tactical co-op/competitive multiplayer game with over 150 years of lore and canon to obsess over. It has squillions of characters, each with their own stats, backstory, and internal lives right down to daily routines. The game is still updated, but some rules changes are controversial, and other rules are still often misunderstood. You can collect thousands of cosmetic items. That’s a Game Of The Year 10/10 PC Platinum All-Gold Classic if I ever heard of one.

All of which is to say that EA’s free-to-kick FIFA World is now in open beta.

FIFA World has various types of ball-kicking with different configurations of men. League mode gives you a real-world team to play through a season, while Ultimate Team is a build-your-own-team collectible trading whatsit mode.

Given how wildly successful Ultimate Team has been at selling microtransaction ‘packets’ of virtual men in actual paid retail versions of FIFA games for years, it seems a jolly sensible foundation for a free-to-play game. One might hope that it’ll be successful enough that EA will kindly avoid squeezing people who fancy playing without paying. Our Graham’s had a minor infatuation with Ultimate Team before.

FIFA World has been in open-ish beta for a while, but was limited to a few countries. Now all and sundry from all over the world can storm the pitch. Register this-a-way.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. bangalores says:

(American) Football, Baseball, Basketball >>>>>>>> Football (Soccer)

• Koltoroc says:

Anything >>>>>>>> sports

cpt_freakout says:

Calvinball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything

• The Random One says:

Except today is opposite day, so that sign means worse than!

Wait, now the first post makes sense. (Except for basketball, I suppose.) Carry on.

AngelTear says:

Actual discourse and opinions supported by arguments >>>>>>> “Greater than” flamebaiting lists

• bangalores says:

I don’t have time for a treatise on American vs. European/International sports. I just felt like voicing my opinion is all (it does say “Opinion, away!”, you know).

• Zankmam says:

There is absolutely no reason or context for you to post this here, though.

• skyturnedred says:

That’s just, like, your opinion, man.

Also, hockey ftw.

• bill says:

So, Sports with lots of bathroom/snack breaks >>>>>>>> sports without?

I’d be all for that, if the sports you listed weren’t so dull.
      Football (with more snack/bathroom/bar breaks) >>>>>> Football (as it stands now).

DrollRemark says:

Heh. Nope.

2. JonClaw says:

I can assume pace players are still OP in the front? everywhere?

3. Stardog says:

Is it the actual FIFA 13/14 engine, or just the usual gimped version of it?

• Jockie says:

From what I can tell it’s the same as the FIFA 13/14 PC engine , it’s the next iterations we’re expecting a gimped version of I believe (new consoles get a new engine, we get a barely upgraded version shared with last-gen).

It seems fine for my purposes – I skipped Fifa 14, but quite fancy getting into the FUT mode, what with no actual football to watch for a month.

• Kill_The_Drive says:

Definitely gimped. Crowd looks horrible, player animations look similar with a couple of additions maybe? Graphics are not as good as in FIFA14, but then again EA said they made this game with low end computers on mind.

• Silent_Thunder says:

Much smaller download too. About 1/3 the size of full fledged FIFA.

4. Chuckleluck says:

EA and free-to-play? I’d rather set myself on fire.

• Keyrock says:

Playing a F2P game from EA is like inviting robbers into your house then asking if they’d like a turn with the missus while they’re at it.

5. johnerick says:

THIS AMAZING APP TO WORK FROM HOME EMobile Code review

6. Jac says:

The intro to this article is the greatest and most accurate sequence of words I believe I have ever read.

Malibu Stacey says:

Paragraphs like that are one of the main reasons why I’ve been reading RPS on an almost daily basis for the last 5 or so years.

Never change RPS. You’re perfect just the way you are.

7. Geebs says:

Is it now normal practise in the world of FIFA to identify the players who have STIs right there on the pitch? Harsh, but sensible I feel.

8. racccoon says:

Good stuff!! direction play! GOAL! Lets see if I can get to world top ten..downloading.. :)

9. luckystriker says:

So. 11v11 MOBAF (Multiplayer Online Battle, Association Football)?

10. Gothnak says:

Why has no one mentioned those green lines? Are you actually the manager choosing where players should pass the ball or run to rather than run around with a controller yourself?

If so, that might be all kinds of awesome. If not, i’ll probably stick with FIFA X on my console (Sorry).

Also does it have a hefty single player game, or are you instantly pitched against people who have spent more money than you? (The moment i usually turn off)

11. bill says:

Why isn’t Blood Bowl like this?

• Gothnak says:

Ultimate Team Blood Bowl? That would be fricking awesome. Instead of the lines between players indicating how it might affect their skills, have a bad red line between players and they might fight or simply eat each other.

12. Silent_Thunder says:

The lat time I played this in Beta, a few months ago the problem wasn’t EA (Amazing, I know). The ingame economy was essentially similar to the full fledged FIFA, with similar match payouts and card drops. The real problem was the Player Run Economy, and by god the FIFA Online players did everything in their power to run that into the ground. Contract cards, the things that allow you to keep using players, on the Pay-PC version, ran at a auction rate low enough to essentially keep a squad of gold tier players running without any issues barring injuries, using match earnings alone.

Fifa World however had gold contracts selling at several times the Fifa14 rates, which made anything past bronze unsustainable, player cards had similar inflated values. The end result was the system that was tuned pretty decently for Fifa14 FUT collapsed in FO FUT because of a combination of greedy players, and not enough players on the market encouraging a race to the bottom of prices.

Perhaps with Open Beta there will be enough players to encourage this price race by flooding the market with cards from buying card packs, but we’ll have to see.