Shadow Wha? Oh! Huh! Platformer Juju Announced

By Alice O'Connor on May 21st, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

Jumping simulator.

After their first two games were Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior, I thought I had a handle on Flying Wild Hog. They make throwback first-person shooters with explosions and big guns and medkits and running backwards while shooting, right? Apparently people aren’t forced to be pigeon-holed for their entire lives, as the developers have announced their third game, Juju, and its a mite different. It’s still a bit of a harkening back to ye olden days, but this time their genre of choice is mid-nineties platformers starring cute animals.

Like one would expect from, in Flying Wild Hog’s words, “a classic-style platformer,” it’s all about running, jumping, collecting trinkets which hover mysteriously in mid-air, and boss battles. These are said to range from robots to sea creatures, which I’m certainly both in favour off. It’s got two-player co-op t’boot.

Flying Wild Hog expect to launch Juju this Autumn.

Oh, that'll be the nineties all right!

I’ve struggled to connect with this style of 2D platformer myself. I didn’t particularly play them in my formative gaming years and am far too old to start now. I don’t enjoy running and jumping on things or making pixel-perfect jumps or collecting twinkling hovertrinkets. I don’t feel the fun I know others find in them. I dig the puzzling and shooting of Trine and the challenge of Super Meat Boy but happy-go-lucky jumpy platformers baffle me. I feel slightly daft writing about one.

, .

1. adeptacheese says:

have all games become terrible or has this website gone seriously downhill

Henke says:

ALL GAMES HAVE BECOME TERRIBLE

RIP GAMES (1972-2014)

• Alice O'Connor says:

I had the zany idea that people might be interested in what the folks behind Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior were up to next.

gnodab says:

How dare you! Now stand in a corner and be ashamed of yourself.
        Reporting news! And surprising ones at that, pfth!

That aside, I am all for developers developing what they want (or at least I thought, I was), but who is going to provide me with proper FPSs now?
        Where is a my new Painkiller (a proper one)?

I kinda wish there’d be a publisher telling them off and forcing them to do the same thing again….
        I think I’ll be standing in the corner and have a short crisis.

• Michael Fogg says:

This could be more awesome if it had tits, and was on fire.

RobF says:

Looks like any one of a thousand casual games circa 2004 from the screenies. Can’t say that’s an exciting proposition but who knows?

3. Tinotoin says:

Very surprised this is their next venture. I really liked both Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior, but I’ll be surprised if I like this to the same degree – unless it’s a cunning ruse and is actually filthy and ultra-violent.

4. scannerbarkly says:

I really enjoyed their previous titles, and I’m a long time fan of a good platformer game so I will keep an eye on this. Gonna go out on a limb and hope they bring they same simple improvements to the genre that they did with previous titles. That said, have quite a few games on my radar over the coming months so it will need to really standout somehow to get my cash.

5. Philomelle says:

Once upon a time, I achieved maximum % in Donkey Kong Country and its sequel. The event opened a singularity in my head that convinced me that those two games took the collect-a-thon platformer concept as far as it could be taken. I struggle to be interested in this as a result.

Also, the way that lizard keeps touching itself while waving at the player in most screenshots is hella creepy.

6. Pich says:

Looks like shovelware to be perfectly honest.

• shaydeeadi says:

You are incredibly perceptive to glean that from two screenshots.

• The Random One says:

It’d be hard to glean anything from two screenshots other than what it looks like.

7. BooleanBob says:

The art style kind of reminds me of Zack and Wiki?

I wish that game had done better than it did.

Mitthrawn says:

The only good cutesy platformer game was Eversion.

Seriously, go play it.

9. HisDivineOrder says:

This is probably a clever way to break into Android and iOS ports to see how the water is before going… ahem… Hog-wild.