Dreamtime: Among The Sleep Awakens May 29th

By Adam Smith on May 22nd, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

Youngsters enjoy staying up way past their bedtime, as if the world might become somehow more magical when the lights go out. That’s why the adults want to keep it to themselves. They’re right of course – after 9pm life is a series of bawdy music hall routines, bourbon and romantic riverboat liasons. Occasionally bedtime is a safe time though. Toddler terror simulator Among The Sleep has been hibernating beneath the blankets for quite some time but a new trailer has just arrived with a release date attached. And, as the headline suggests, that release date isn’t far away at all. The game will be available on May 29th, across the three major platforms – Windows, Mac and Linux.

I played the first two chapters recently and wrote about my experiences. It’s shaping up to be a creepy and curious game, and one that I’m eager to see more of. We’ll have full thoughts ready for release day.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lodin says:

I can’t play this. It’s freaking me out. I’m Norwegian like the devs and the song the mom is humming is the same song my mom used to sing for me when I was little. Byssan Lull, I guess it’s called. It’s originally Swedish and I bet they feel the same way. Fucking hell!

• Subject 706 says:

Yep. It’s was actually an old sailor song made into a lullaby. The melody has been used for many songs, but Evert Taube made it famous with “Byssan Lull”.

• Namo666 says:

I’m pretty sure it’s not “byssan lull”, but Trollmors vuggesang? Når trollmor har lagt sine ellveve små troll….

2. Einhaender says:

I tried the demo last night.

I noped when I reached the washing machine. The closet in front of me looked like a hiding spot, the door right behind me was wide open and there was this fucking cough all the time. The pieces to fuck me over were all in place: Nope!

I don’t know what happened to me. I used to crave horrorgames. Me and a friend got so addicted to freaking out and having fear creep through our bodies during the PS2 era that we desperately tried every horrorgame we could get our hands on – only to be scared like hell. But for some time I can’t play those games anymore without going “nope” during the first 10mins.

I don’t know. Perhaps my body is trying to tell me something… Perhaps I simply got too old for this shit.

• eclipse mattaru says:

I noticed something similar about myself: I started gaming in 1985 and never until Amnesia did I find a horror game I would consider worth calling itself that. I would “meh” at Resident Evil’s cheap jump scares and I would spit on the likes of Dead Space for being just action games in disguise. A few weeks ago, however, I was playing Outlast, which for all intents and purposes should be the zenith of the horror experience for me, and I found myself thinking I would feel SO much more comfortable if I had at least a rusty pipe or something like that to hit the crazies around a bit.

My guess is that age has a sort of pussyfying effect on us, and it’s especially noticeable for horror fans.

All I know for sure is that younger me would be ashamed. ASHAMED.

• jezcentral says:

FOR SHAME!

Actually, I’m really liking forward to playing this. I hate horror games, but this has piqued my interest (or whatever verb games do, that make me want to play it).

• Subject 706 says:

I blame getting children. It has transformed me into a bleeding heart wuss.

• bitesize says:

I’ve got a little boy about the age of the one you play in this. There is no way.

• vitamint says:

Amen to that. Didn’t even noticing it happening.

• jezcentral says:

I must admit, my interest was piqued because I couldn’t imagine the protagonist coming to harm. That’s my kind of horror game.

3. Ross Angus says:

I find this Going For A Toddle simulator intriguing.

4. Shadrach says:

Finally something good coming out of Norway after several disasters, and hoping for more to come – I’m looking at you, Owlboy, get a move on! :)

5. Phasma Felis says:

You have missed, not just the point, but several different points.

Comment on this story