Space Hulk: Deathwing’s First Screens Contain Crotchskulls

By Alice O'Connor on May 22nd, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Is that a skull in your etc or oh good grief

Games Workshop are spaffing Warhammer 40,000 licenses all over the place lately, with predictably mixed-but-a-bit-bleh results. However, one did land at Streum On Studio to make first-person shooter Space Hulk: Deathwing. Yes, the folks who made E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. Their FPS-RPG debut was awfully wonky yet jolly ambitious, and quite endearing because of that. It’s nice to know that one of the oodles of 40K games should be, at the very least, interesting.

The first ‘screenshots’ arrived in our inbox this morning, and while they’re clearly staged they do have plenty of pretty Space Marine Terminator armour to ogle.

Deathwing is another FPS-RPG, with levelling up and skill points and skill trees and all that as your Terminator squad stomp around a colossal derelict space ship squashing Tyranids. The player character is a Librarian from the Dark Angels’ Deathwing company, which in 40K terms means you’re a space-wizard. An eight-foot space-wizard with a honking great gun, which is something I’m always willing to be.

E.Y.E danced around 40K imagery with its warrior monks in chunky cyberarmour stomping around dystopian industrial cityscapes, but Streum On have really gone to town on Space Hulk. The ornate detailing on power armour, banners, and statues is quite something. I visited Saint Bavo Cathedral in Belgium this weekend and was appalled to realise that Gothic stylings now mostly remind me of 40K. Anyway, have a gander:

Screenshot staged half a second before the Space Marine was sliced to ribbons.

Genestealers up close.

The band shot for the album cover.

Technically the game isn’t confirmed for PC yet, nor any console either, but it’d be jolly cruel if publisher Focus Home’s PR sent these to us as a prank.

, , .

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I think 40K’s aesthetic is heavily influenced by various of the Catholic Church’s phases (amongst other things).

• toxic avenger says:

Absolutely. Christianity influences 40k ideologically too, from what I remember. I haven’t messed around with my models for years, it seems like, but from what I remember, wasn’t there an Inquisition of sorts, who’s structure resembled that of the papacy There are many other examples, too, but I’m pretty removed from them, time wise, and I really never got into the lore, outside of the absolute basics (bad guys, good guys, neutral guys, etc).

• Asurmen says:

Which is amusing, as the Imperium was founded on secular values and was completely intolerant of religion.

JamesTheNumberless says:

Like the Roman Empire however, as their power declined they eventually ended up worshiping one almighty God Emperor. Edward Gibbon would probably argue that the causality goes the other way.

JamesTheNumberless says:

And almost all of it is there actually. The Emperor died to save mankind and his devout followers maintain that he is still alive, watching over them, and keeping evil at bay by his sheer will alone.

But seriously, that’s all really boring. Come and follow Slaanesh and you can paint your spaceship pink and draw cocks on it.

• TormDK says:

HERESY! The heretic filth must be cleansed by holy fire!

• Heliocentric says:

In the cold darkness of the 41′st Millennium only Papa Nurgle loves his followers.

JamesTheNumberless says:

The space marines and a few other things are inspired by Catholic militant orders and medieval Catholic theocracies yes.

However, a lot of this came about indirectly because the main inspiration for the 40k universe, it’s spacefaring methods, pseudo-religious techno-spiritualism, psychers, and much more besides, is Frank Herbert. Dune is full of very unsubtle themes relating to the idea of a part medieval Catholic part Islamic far future interplanetary evolution of human religions in a sort of cosmic dark age.

Maybe it’s fairer to say that 40k’s Imperium is the extraction of those elements from Dune, and the refinement of them into a sort of far future version of a western Roman empire that is somehow clinging on to its existence even though it has already fallen.

Oh and your emperor is dead, you fools.

And

CROTCHFACE!

• Chrysomore says:

What tipped you off, the murderous cybernetic reliquaries or the giant, walking cathedral?

Wowbagger says:

I R SAD for 40K still so would play this, especially as it’s Dark Angels.

3. ackblom12 says:

It wouldn’t be Warhammer without skulls, skulls and more skulls.

• GernauMorat says:

Yeah, in 40k the rarity is to find a surface without a skull/grimacing monstrosity carved on it

4. TormDK says:

As long as they ain’t using that Source engine again.

• iniudan says:

What wrong with the Source engine, other then been old ?

• TormDK says:

I’ve always felt that the Source engine, and games that use it, have very clunky movement.

When I picked up Titanfall (Just to give a recent example) I could instantly recall why I didn’t like it even though I haven’t really played that many recent games that use it. It just feels… wrong somehow when moving about :)

Prehaps I need to show on the Source doll where it hurt me, I don’t know :)

• DXN says:

Well you’re certainly entitled to your own experience, but I’m not sure it’s really shared by that many people. The movement in Titanfall is widely praised! And personally I find the movement in TF2 and L4D2 to be excellent.

• RogerioFM says:

Titanfall uses Source? Christ that engine is as old as breath.

Continuity says:

Well, technically its being constantly updated, so it bears little resemblance to the original source engine as used in HL2. Most engine building companies release major versions of their engines for marketing purposes, but valve has scrooge mcduck style money vats and no share holders, so they don’t give a shit about marketing.

• iniudan says:

While reading news on other site, I came to see that the game engine is Unreal 4.

Cinek says:

Some of these could easily fit next Alien game.

phuzz says:

Genestealers are basically Aliens with an extra set of arms, and a less phallic head.

Lars Westergren says:

Is that a skull in your pants or are you just really depressed to see me?

Edit: Oh, that joke was already in the alt text. Now I feel clever.

7. GallonOfAlan says:

In other words, he’s got a boner.

Here all week, try the fish etc

8. Wulfram says:

How long until we get a 40k dating sim?

9. XhomeB says:

HERESY! The inscriptions on Terminators’ armour have been written in ENGLISH.

P.S. RPS, do something about the horrible software your site is running on, there are days when I cannot log in at all (cookies not enabled, even though they are) or it won’t let me post.

Cinek says:

software is not a problem, your browser is.

• XhomeB says:

In other words, the shoddy software IS the source of the problem.

• SillyWizard says:

No — in other words, RPS can’t fix whatever mess you have going on on your machine.

• toxic avenger says:

I don’t know if it’s just me, or what, but using the latest, clean install of Firefox, I’ve been having so much trouble for the last six months or so: only browsing RPS, each page seems to take up larger and larger amounts of system memory, the more tabs I have opened from this site. It’ll almost paralyze my computer, it’s so bad. *shrug* It’s just not him, I suppose.

• XhomeB says:

I’m sorry, but kindly leave my machine alone since you know absolutely nothing about it. I have no idea what causes the issue, but on occassion I’m forced to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox (it’s up date with no add-ons installed, Mr Whatever Mess You Have On Your Machine).
            Judgining from toxic avenger’s post, the software behind RPS might not like Firefox for some reason.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I recall encountering an issue not unlike what you describe there toxic. I ultimately reached the conclusion that it was the result of a particular advertisement that was being displayed in the background. I think the problem either only appeared when the ad was present or that it started at the same time the ad started appearing, but I can’t recall which.

• Phasma Felis says:

Given how crappy the RPS login system is already, I have no problem believing it’s also responsible for this issue.

JamesTheNumberless says:

Software is such a vague term. I prefer to call it cuddleware.

Chaz says:

Must be a right bugger getting dressed up in one of those suits of armour, only to realise you should have gone to the toilet first.

Lars Westergren says:

Space Marines are genetically modified to have a dozen extra bladders. That’s why they are so large. And angry.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Why not just have one really big bladder?

Jackablade says:

They have one for each penis.

Lars Westergren says:

So it’s like a big cow udder down there? I think I’ve seen some furry art like that.

Nah, I think the reason they don’t have one big bladder is because they don’t want to risk the emperors finest being incapacitated by a single large kidney stone. You want redundant systems.

RedViv says:

A game about superhuman warrior monks fighting off psionic-demonic threats in a faraway dystopic future, and NOW they make a WH40K game. That’s sweeeeet.

12. CaidKean says:

I hope they make the game’s intro an homage to the first Space Hulk computer game:

Still one of my favourite intros ever. Also, I loved the briefings in that game.

13. Geebs says:

Dear Games Workshop,

That’s a bit more like it.

Carry on.

14. gabrielonuris says:

Finally a Warhammer 40k game that worth playing; since the DoW series and Space Marine, the only thing I was seeing was wannabe indie crap with no soul; and btw, I really loved E.Y.E – Divine Cybermancy, that is one of my favorite games, which I finished three times in a row just because. It has solid shooter mechanics, an awesome character progression and yes, I loved the story too! I was happy when I heard that Streum On was taking care of it for us.

15. Davie says:

Yaaaaay! A new 40k game that won’t be inherently terrible from the outset! Hopefully in the future, we can look back on the lane strategy and chess period of 40k games as “a dark and terrible time, but things are better now.”

16. f4stjack says:

Daamn I think the world is about to end, finally GW licensed wh40k to a company which actually WANTS to do a wh40k game. Considering the sidesteps they did in E.Y.E. to avoid a cease and desist from GW this actually let their hands free in creative department. Or at least I hope so, the final product might be… problematic.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Crotchskulls. It’s better than phablet and drivatar, I guess.

18. SillyWizard says:

So according to Steam some other WH40K game just came out.

It looks dumb.

19. Press X to Gary Busey says:

EZEEKIEL! Search this area for… AN ARCHIVED RECORD!!!
    I HAVEN’T FOUND!!!!!!!…an archived record.
    EZEEKIEL EZEEKIEL EZEEKIEL EZEEKIEL EZEEKIEL EZEEKIEL EZEEKIEL!

cog says:

Crotch skulls for the crotch skull throne!

Continuity says:

You now what that giant codpiece needs? a meltagun attachment.

22. herschel says:

FPS? 40k? I´m in.

But… please… don´t mess up the fluff, as in almost every other 40k game, pleeeeease.

23. DestructibleEnvironments says:

First Person? Meeeeeeeeeh. That means it will be a little lighter on story. (typically)

• Uboa Noticed You says:

I think you’ll find the developer more than able to create a deep and compelling story in an FPS.
      As for it being well written and cohesive? *sitcom laughter*