Evolve Won’t Have Mod Support At Launch, But Maybe Later

By Nathan Grayson on May 23rd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

I'm sorry evil monster rhino man. You can't be a giant beautiful unicorn yet. But someday. Someday.

When you hear Evolve‘s premise, it’s not exactly difficult to trace its lineage back to Left 4 Dead. Four vs one asymmetrical human vs monster competitive co-op? It’s a markedly different experience from developer Turtle Rock’s previous work (they collaborated with Valve) once you’re on the hunt, but it’s a natural, er, evolution of the undead phenom. Left 4 Dead’s staying power, however, wasn’t entirely homegrown. Valve and Turtle Rock gave it festering brains and an undying heart, but modders gave it legs. What about Evolve, though? I’m optimistic about what I’ve played, but I could definitely see it fading into obscurity without frequent support. Are mods a solution? Maybe, but not straight out the gate.

I spoke with Turtle Rock co-founder Phil Robb, and he said that mods are a possibility, but tools aren’t actively being developed right now.

“We’re not against it,” he told RPS. “I’m a big fan of that kind of stuff. I mean, if it ends up coming to be, then that’s awesome. But we’re still very much in development. I don’t think we have anything concrete yet.”

It’s unfortunate, but also understandable given that Turtle Rock is a single small-ish studio developing for both PC and console. So if mod tools make the cut, it likely won’t be until after Evolve has already slain its fair share of monsters and men. Just to be sure, I asked if mod support was off the table until after Evolve launches, and Robb replied:

“Probably, yeah.”

But he did seem pretty keen on getting it into the game eventually. Hopefully, then, it’s only a matter of time. My full impressions (with video!) of Evolve will be up soon. Until then, though, I will say that it’s very good, and I think mods stand to curtail some of what I perceive as its biggest potential flaws. Also, if you must know, Phil Robb’s beard is excellent as well, and I think it has a great shot at living up to all the hype. It’s already technically moddable, but I wouldn’t advise it.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ansob says:

Shame that that’s almost always code for “no, we won’t do mods, but we’ll say maybe so you decide to buy anyway.”

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Have to agree. Can’t remember the last game where the developers were “really excited about adding mod support soon” or “will definitely see if we can support mods after launch” where the game actually did get mod support. It’s a bit like politicians promises, really; they already have what they want, why should they listen to you now?

• Synesthesia says:

Yeah, it’s painfully transparent by now.

• Sgt_Big_Bubbaloola says:

Well look on the (admittedly limited) bright side, at least they didn’t insult their audience by saying that they couldn’t possibly release the mod tools as it would ‘be too complicated for our widdle customers, a-boo-boo-boo-boo-boo-boo-boo-boooooo’ like we were children (yeah i’m looking at you DICE!)

Why don’t they just simply say one of two things:

Be honest and say they need to make money out of DLC, that’s why you won’t get it (although that honest attitude might hurt sales)..

Or better yet, just fib a bit and say that we cannot release mod tools due to the various tech in there that is licenced from multiple sources. There aren’t many that could argue that and it might actually be closer to the truth.

• Vin_Howard says:

There’s still Tripwire

• undu says:

Last game I remember adding mod support after launch was Torchlight 2.

2. Orija says:

So they all say.

3. skyturnedred says:

“We’re not ruling anything out”
    “Maybe in the future”
    “Possibly after launch”
    “It’s something we’re considering”

= Nope.

4. WaspHUN says:

I won’t buy it at launch, But maybe later.

Of course, they probably never gonna guve us mod tools. Maybe if the console versions sells badly.

5. Bull0 says:

Left 4 Dead supports mods but that is NOT what makes it a great game or even exclusively what gives it lasting appeal. It’s a few sprinkles and some icing on an already delicious cake. There are some really innovative mechanics in there that make it long-lasting and replayable.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Yeah to be honest I’ve never once used a mod on L4d or L4d2 and I’ve been fiddling with fs game files and the likes for as long as I can remember. L4d is a good game because it is a good game, plain and simple. Like you said mods are sprinkles and icing.

6. spruce says:

I don’t think devs should be pooh-poohed for not including mod support. Sure, it’s nice to have, but I don’t see why people who are creating a work of art should be expected to clap in glee at the prospect of some people mangling their work, even if it is to ostensibly ‘improve’ it. Artists don’t generally hang paintings in galleries with a box of markers on hand for patrons to make additions to their work.

• babbler says:

I would see it more as someone buying a car and changing some parts out or someone writing a novel and then people writing fanfiction for it….that’s probably not a good example. Personally, if I was in the game making business I’d be flattered if a mod community sprouted up around it.

• The Random One says:

You have a point, spruce. But Architecture is also an art, and yet most people expect to be able to add to their houses after they’re built. Once a work of art is given a non-artistic purpose those may also drive their form.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

That monster doesn’t look like a rhino man, it reminds me of Doomsday from DC Comics, famous for having killed Superman.

8. Shooop says:

The answer’s obviously no. Don’t you guys have enough personal experience with PR-speak to recognize the answer when you hear it?

9. cpt_freakout says:

I played L4D and L4D 2 pretty much exclusively on Xbox with my friends. We were all finishing our undergrad and/or had spare time at night after work, so this went on for about two years. Pretty much almost daily excepting weekends. Those games were some of the most fun I’ve had in my time playing videogames, and sometimes I still miss it (we’re all now spread all over the place with a lot less time on our hands). The point is, these games didn’t need mods to make them amazing in MP. Sure, we were always envying the PC crowd and their super cool or super funny campaigns, but in the end the base game, even with all the clunkiness of Xbox controls, was enough.

10. milton says:

This game has me cautiously excited. While I absolutely love L4d1/2, the reason that they’re so replayable is because of the absolute need for team-work in the punishing difficulties and the enjoyability of both multiplayer and PvE co-op.

At core they don’t need mod support, if your game is very good, your core mechanics will be able to carry whatever content they provide (though it will depend on how they structure the content, the level of customability, console access etc) , however like most games I welcome a modding community. I’ve had very favourable experiences with Jedi Knight 3, Oblivion and Skyrim and even Battlefront 2, particularly the modding community for Jedi Knight 3 prolonging the game’s community long past it’s due date.

I do feel like mod support would definitely extend the life of this game. Custom maps, custom classes and custom creatures/environmental creatures could most definitely prolong this game’s lifespan and enjoyability.

I guess it depends on the amount of content delivered at launch however as to how vital it is for them to add it and I wish them all the best.

• TheRealHankHill says:

Can you recommend any Jedi Knight mods to me? I’ve got that Starwars bundle so i’ve been reliving my childhood. Honestly so far my favorite game has been DarkForces 1.

• milton says:

My advice would be to hit up the nexus of JK mods. Just google Jedi Knight Filefront (not sure if we’re allowed to post links) and you’ll find it.

Basically you can find levels, mods, maps and all sorts of crazy stuff that can turn your game inside out.

Not sure about the other games but for Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy learn the console commands and then start writing notepad bats that you can execute to save yourself the typing.

Not sure if multiplayer’s still around, from memory the community’s been dead for the last 4 years now unfortunately. So some of the multiplayer geared mods won’t be that useful.

My personal preference was mods that allowed you to spawn different enemies you couldn’t normally spawn, maps that were arena style and allowed me to recreate big battles and basically treating the game like a massive sandbox.