The RPS Bargain Bucket: Suave People

By Cassandra Khaw on May 24th, 2014 at 12:30 pm.

Who knew cosplay events could be so packed? I spent the earlier part of today cautiously inching through a local mall in search of candid moments. Unfortunately, I didn’t come home with too many photos. I was shy, and everyone else had a better assortment of camera equipment. Also, the shoving. Oh, the shoving. On the bright side, I managed to come home in one piece – you’d really be surprised as to how eager some people are to punt passer-bys out of the way. Obligatory rambling aside, here’s hoping that your week has been excellent. As always, we’ve got a bucket full of cheap games to tempt your impulsive side. The backlog demands feeding. (Dosbox’s dragon sends his greetings to all the ladies.)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy NaNo Bundle
Pay above $10.00/£5.94/€7.34 for everything
The National Novel Writing Month is essentially a promise, a promise to complete a novel of respectable length within thirty days. Because most of the participants tend to be amateurs, the quality of the writing can vary. Still, if you feel like supporting those aspiring talents, this new Storybundle may be the way to go. It features a curated handful of science-fiction and fantasy novels from a bunch of nascent authors. The summaries for some of these tites make me a little skeptical but Storybundle’s new collection could be your gateway to telling friends, “I knew this person before they were famous.”

Fightin’ and Brawlin’ Bundle
$25.00/£14.85/€18.34
Oh, Amazon. I see you’ve picked up the bundle bug too. And, what an infection! Depending on how much you like to punch things, the Fightin’ and Brawlin’ Bundle may well be right up your alley. It features Batman: Arkham Origins, the Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition, the ultimate edition of Injustice: Gods Among Us and that Lords of the Rings game that people occasionally seem to like. Either way, there’s a whole lot of button-mashing to go around. I’m fondest of Batman: Arkham Origins, personally. And while I’m told that Injustice: Gods Among Us is a spiffy game, I don’t think I’ve quite gotten over what they did with Harley Quinn’s design. (Boo. Hiss.)

Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy
$1.99/£1.39/€1.99
Think fast. Half Minute Hero isn’t one of those RPGs that will let you stroll languidly through its world, wide-eyed with appreciation for its carefully-manicured landscapes. (Hello, Skyrim!) No, this retro-flavored offering’s all about the comedy and getting things done as quickly as possible. This version of Half Minute Hero comes with all the bells and whistles. It’s crammed with game modes, additional content, and everything else your heart could possibly desire. Laugh, cry, beat up bosses, and do it all again as rapidly as you can. You have less than four minutes to save the world. Get to it.

Mafia II
$10.59/£6.91/€9.79
Mafia II isn’t great, but it is okay. Good, but not phenomenal. The controls are clunky and the game itself is somewhat repetitive. However, Mafia II benefits from entertaining dialogue, decent voiceovers and a few moments of brilliance. If you found yourself put off by the “eh, could be better” ratings it accrued over the years but wanted to give it a shot anyway, this might be an awesome time to pick up the game. The Mafia II Complete Pack is 80% off on Green Man Gaming right now and, as the name suggests, comes with all the DLCs you could possibly want .

Also of note:

Postal 2 -$2.49/£1.49/€1.99
I won’t lie. Postal 2 alarms me. It isn’t such a blood-soaked funfest, it’s a psychotic clown-killer with its own reality show. That game just delights in its own sense of excess. Still, entertainment is entertainment, and it’s on sale at the Humble Store. Enjoy, but not too much.

Cannon Fodder 3 – $1.00/£0.71/€0.88
A tactical action game that many have described as “okay” so long as you ignore its full price, Cannon Fodder 3 is currently 90% off. Does that make it cheap enough to risk a few hours on and a dollar? Maybe.

Dark Sector – $1.00/£0.71/€0.88
In many ways, Dark Sector reminds me of those big, dumb action movies we so often see smeared all across the telly. It’s nothing terribly ground-breaking, but there’s plenty of relatively stylish killing to be had.

The Really Creepy Bundle – $4.50/£2.67/€3.30 is the price to beat
Fancy having a frightful weekend? Lovely. Step right up, and behold what Vodo has in store for you. The bundle features a six-months subscription to Nightmare Magazine, a handful of short films, eerie games, and even creepier music.

The Horror Bundle – Pay at least $3/£2.20/€2.20 for everything
More frightening stuff? Yes, well. I’m trying to get a headstart with the Halloween spirit. Hush. As is often the case with Groupees’ bundles, this one’s a tangled mess of “interesting” and “meh.”

, .

1. The Pink Ninja says:

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/watch-dogs-po < Cheapest you're likely to find Watch Dogs on pre-order without pretending to be Russian.

• Bravey says:

Actually I got it for 33.75 British Pounds at Greenmangaming.com for a deluxe edition, regular edition would be 30 pounds. Don’t know what it is in euros but it certainly will be cheaper. Might only be for EU region though, there was some issues with them sending out vouchers to people that couldn’t use them.

• trjp says:

WatchDogs has weird regional issues and there’s the possibility that even unlocked copies (Origin versions are apparently region-free?) may have limited language support (e.g. your cheap copy could Russian play you!)

GMG is the cheapest ‘legit’ source I’ve seen thusfar – but I’m put-off by UBISoft’s usual soft-show-shuffle of wanting extra for a ‘deluxe’ (which here appears to contain actual content and items of value) AND then sell me a Season Pass which doesn’t appear to be a Season Pass at all but just MORE content and items again!?!?

I might have paid £30 for the game – I’m not paying more like £50 – I’ll wait until the whole thing is £15 in the sales – I reckon Xmas should see that – I’ve a backlog to tide me through anyway ;0

Seriously tho – I reckon they lose more sales than they gain with all this teasery…

• Bravey says:

I agree on the whole, taking extra money for very little and I just looked at that season pass – I don’t reckon that extra content is worth an extra 16 pounds and I never really care to explore other playable characters so I won’t be getting that for sure. However, usually Deluxe Editions are usually around 10 euros more and at that point I’m usually put off by it but in this case with the 25% voucher I’m only paying £3.75 extra for about 2 hours of gameplay (according to them) and quite a few items (whether they’re useful or not, how will we know yet). At £3.75 I don’t mind getting the deluxe and I thought I might as well as I’m quite excited for the game. But at Original £50 I would never have bought it but £33 seems like a steal to me, but again it’s just really my kind of game so I wouldn’t want to wait long for a discount which I usually do for most titles.

jezcentral says:

Agreed. The teasery put me off. I couldn’t work out if it was worth it, so held off, and then WolfieTNO came out, so I bought that instead.

• Jigowatt says:

It’s £25.90 on CDKeys: http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/watch-dogs-pc-cd-key-uplay (with an extra 5% off if you like them on Facebook).

• trjp says:

Didn’t take us long to get into dodgy Russian keys, did it? :)

• Jigowatt says:

Eh? There’s nothing dodgy or Russian about cdkeys.com… at least not that I’m aware! Or was your comment not referring to my link? They seem very reputable (http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.cdkeys.com), and I preordered the new Wolfenstein from them without any problems!

• BobbyFizz says:

I’ve bought from them many times, always been very reliable and sorted any problems quickly. That said, it is where I got me pre order of watchdogs and I’m hoping it’s not russian.

• Jalan says:

There’s what’s been absent from most of the recent runs of the Bargain Bucket – someone disparaging CDKeys. Seemed like it was a more frequent occurrence back when Lewie was writing the column.

• trjp says:

I suspect cdkeys.com operate in the same sphere as simplycdkeys and a lot of other online key resellers – they aren’t official resellers, they source their keys from less official channels/countries outside of the main reseller channels (UK/US/Europe)

In the hatconomy they’re usually called ‘ROW’ keys (Rest of World) – they’re often not the same version of the game you get if you buy direct (so Steam/UPlay etc. know where you got the game from and can take action if they wish)

They’re likely not RU (Russian) keys – those are the ones which have gotten people into trouble in the past and which will probably ‘play you’ ;0

How much of the money from these sales ends-up back with the developer is anyone’s guess – you make-up your own mind about whether you want to go that route – whether you trust the site (a separate issue) and all that jazz.

p.s. Lewie touts a few of these sites now – at least one of them we know for a fact resells Bundle Keys (Proteus’ developer caught them doing it) which is a violation of the terms of sale of the original keys and therefore arguably ‘illegal’ – if they did that once, I doubt the rest of their business is squeaky clean either…

• Cassandra Khaw says:

I’m incredibly nervous about websites like cdkeys.com, so I’ve avoided mentioning their deals at all. ._. If I could get more input and thoughts on it from readers, I might change my mind.

• malkav11 says:

As far as I could tell when I checked it out, the discounts aren’t enough to bother with the potential dodginess, at least in the US. We’re talking knocking maybe $10-15 off any given new release/ preorder, which you’ll see inside a couple months of launch, tops, from a fully legit source.

• Babaorum says:

Oh, I never knew what that “ROW” flag meant on Steam, thanks for clearing that up.
            That being said, I also got “ROW” keys when buying directly from Steam (checked in my transaction log on my Steam account) from EU1 region without any VPN or other tricks like that.

• Philomelle says:

I’m not sure why you would want to pretend to be Russian. As far as the Steam version suggests, the Russian CD-keys of Watch_Doge cannot be activated outside of former USSR and have all languages except Russian removed.

In fact, I have to either use third-party Steam key resellers or ask friends from English-speaking countries for a gift if I ever want to get a “proper” version of that game.

• crazyd says:

There’s also the nVidia pack in codes, which go for $30 to $40 on ebay. There’s a ton of them available, and it’s how I got my copy.

• Shooop says:

For the love of all that is good in the games industry (and there is not much left), DO NOT.

Just DO NOT. This pre-order nonsense has to stop. They are never going to run out of copies of the game to sell, there is zero reason to do it.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I bet the amount of people who pre-ordered all 5 Collector’s editions, Limited editions, Edition-editions and the season pass is above 0.
        I hope the next hype-multi-A game will have 20 editions…

• fish99 says:

Most of the time there is no reason to pre-order. The exception though is for a game you were going to buy anyway. In that case you will get a better price via pre-order than buying on release day, and you will get the pre-order extras.

Example – Borderlands 2. Pre-ordering got me the mechromancer DLC, saved me a few quid, and there really wasn’t any significant chance the game was going to be dreadful (and indeed it wasn’t).

I got Dark Souls 2 for £20 by pre-ordering too. Release day it was up to £25 and a few weeks later it was £30.

• Thismis says:

Start working from home! Great job for students, stay-at-home moms or anyone needing an extra income… You only need a computer and a reliable internet connection… Make $90 hourly and up to $12000 a month by following link at the bottom and signing up… You can have your first check by the end of this week……..http://www.Gawkjob.com

2. Syra says:

I love the original cannon fodder to itty bitty my-amiga-through-my-shredder sized bits, but I was very much opposed to buying the new one when I heard how it was kinda lame for 20 quid… 70pence HELL YES.

3. BenAttenborough says:

Dark Souls is currently £6.79 on Steam. I’ve nabbed it, although I believe the port was pretty bad and it needs patching? Also that you need a controller to play it properly (fortunately I have one)

• Bravey says:

I’m looking to buy it but I’m gonna wait for the summer sale if it gets a better discount plus to know if it will get ported to steamworks, since GFWL will be shut down by then.

monkehhh says:

This is the patch you’re looking for – http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

• BenAttenborough says:

Thanks the update worked. What a strange game, not sure if I should be scouring the webs for a guide to what I’m meant to be doing or just try and figure it out myself…

• thecommoncold says:

My thought is that scouring the web spoils too much of the surprise. Dark Souls is made of OMG moments, so treasure that first playthrough.

My only caveat would be to check a guide for fundamental mechanical stuff, though (something more akin to an instruction manual), to explain some of the more obscure features like humanity and kindling.

• dE says:

Here is my complete guide and walkthrough to Dark Souls 1:
          - If you encounter an enemy that seems far too powerful from where you stand: It probably is. There’s no shame to run away from a fight and come back when you’re better equipped to deal with it. Get stuck on an enemy? Explore. Boss too hard? Explore. Not enough Souls? Explore. Enemies just won’t die? Explore. Need better stuff? Explore. Want to enjoy the game, instead of falling into the “bash your head against a wall trap”, that many people fall into and hate the game for: BLOODY FRICKING EXPLORE.

That’s it. Basically all you ever need to know to enjoy Dark Souls 1.

• mechabuddha says:

Apply the dsfix patch, which ups the resolution. Use a controller, because the game has a mechanic where your camera turn speed isn’t necessarily your mouse speed. I don’t really understand why people complain about the state of the port — it’s not perfect, but perfectly playable even without the patch.

Rizlar says:

Yeah, dsfix is all you really need. Basically just to up the resolution to respectable levels, apparently messing with the frame rate can cause problems so I left it as is.

Only technical issues I have experienced in the whole game are 2 specific instances of terrible fps linked to graphical effects (the fog gate before Demon Firesage and the glowy lamp things at the Oolacile Sanctuary exit, in case anyone cares), plus an occasional delay when performing heavy attacks, which I have learned to deal with by eg. dodge rolling away before it can commit.

• aliksy says:

It was really frustrating trying to learn the game when all the UI was filthy xbox controller prompts. I have a different gamepad.

• Shooop says:

The famous DSfix is still necessary, yes.

But what keeps me from jumping on this sale is GFWL. Microsoft only said the GFWL marketplace is closing in their official statement, and Bandai said, Dark Souls will remain fully functional on GFWL for the foreseeable future.

If that means GFWL the DRM will remain running on a server sitting in one of the supply closets at Microsoft HQ, then I still want nothing to do with it.

• Gargenville says:

Seriously now you have no excuse. This series is the shining goddamned beacon in the night showing you can still make a successful biggish budget action game without homogenizing it into a bland focus tested bitpaste.

Even if you’re too cheap/broke/enamored with Yahtzee to spend 30 bucks on a 360 pad it’s entirely possible to beat the game using a mouse/kb if you rebind the (insane) default key mappings.

4. Noburu says:

That is one fucking suave (or possibly insanely high) looking dragon. I need to put some of my daughters plushies in a bucket and submit it for the the column. Kids really love their plushies.

5. Bravey says:

I loved Mafia 2, I’d heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good mafia story and the setting of the game (the 50′s I think it is?)

• Zenicetus says:

It’s split into two periods — post-war 1940′s and then a jump to the mid (?) 50′s for the second part of the game. I thought the 40′s part was very atmospheric and wished the game stayed there, but the jump to the 50′s does give you more cars to drive, different music theme, etc.

There were parts of the game I didn’t enjoy, like a couple of timed car chases, and checkpoint saves are often spaced too far apart (I hate checkpoint saves). The gunplay is nothing special, and there is a little too much of it for the Mafia context to be believable. But overall I thought it was fun, mainly for the cool setting. It’s different. The only other PC game I played that had a similar vibe was LA Noire, and I just couldn’t handle the mechanics in that one.

Vandelay says:

Hmm… I thought the gunplay was rather splendid and also incredibly unused for most of the game. I can’t remember exactly, but I don’t imagine you would need much more than a single hand to count the number of shoot outs you are involved in. The majority of the rest of the game is walking or driving from one cutscene to another.

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the story was interesting, albeit regurgitated from a gangster film smoothie, but I was definitely disappointed by it after the excellent original.

• Zenicetus says:

I think my impression of the gunfights wasn’t that there were too many, as much as the number of enemies Vito usually waded through for each one. It felt a little too Call of Duty-ish at times, but maybe they had to design the game that way for a large enough audience.

It was fun, despite the rough spots. The only thing I regret is paying extra for the “Jimmy’s Vendetta” DLC at the time, which was just a random collection of unrelated missions. I think you’d have to really love the basic game mechanics to enjoy that. It demonstrated how important the storyline was to holding the main game together, and making it worth playing.

• The Random One says:

Mafia 2 is, to me, what not enough people who made GTA IV thought they were making.

“Splendid and also incredibly unused” is how I’d describe the gunplay as well, especially when you get in a gunfight in the middle of the city and realize the NPCs can move around and take cover rather well even when outside of a predesigned Battle Arena.

6. archiebunker says:

The Witcher 2 currently going for $4 on Steam. I’m guessing it’s to celebrate its (unfortunately less-than-stellar) Linux launch.

7. trjp says:

Gamersgate are doing Moonbase Commander for just £1.25 here

You remember Moonbase Commander – right? :)

That’s the Steam version which I’m led to believe contains some ‘improvements’ but I’ve no idea if it’s really any different to the GoG one?

AngelTear says:

The Humble Daily Bundle has stylish RPG Paper Sorcerer at PWYW level, then beat the average for Legend of Grimrock, and pay more than 10$ for Desktop Dungeons. All 3 games were somewhat praised by RPS, if I recall correctly.

• Noburu says:

Its a 24hr deal so you better hop on it fast if you want in on it!

• NathanH says:

I haven’t played Paper Sorceror yet, but the other two games are well worth playing.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Paper Sorcerer is the one of those I’m most interested in, but also the one I’ve seen least feedback on. Anything to say on the matter (fairly soon, preferably) hivemind?

9. Moraven says:

Amazon and GameStop are running decent sales.

I do not know how the GameStop keys (Steam, Origin or uPlay) work outside the US.

10. malkav11 says:

Not that I really recommend Postal 2, but it’s interesting to see it getting actively developed again after something like a 14 year hiatus.

11. Lemming says:

eh, Cannon Fodder seems worth a punt at that price.

EDIT: It isn’t.

Diziet Sma says:

It’s not worth 70pence? Wow that’s pretty damning.

• Lemming says:

Put it this way, you could keep that 70p and remain blissfully ignorant of what has become of a franchise you may actually have some fond memories of. You’re basically saying your memories are worth 70p if you spend it on this.

12. Cryptoshrimp says:

I’m conflicted. I’m happy that a non-game bundle is featured and I want (indie) authors to do well. However, as a fairly long-time NaNo participant, I’d be cautious. Most of what you producing during nano is, frankly, garbage. It should certainly never end up in a for-sale novel without some heavy-duty editing.

• MartinWisse says:

Not helped by the fact that they got book 2 of a series in the basic bundle with book 1 only available to newsletter subscribers.

Bit dodgy that and made me go from sure, I’ll take a punt to eeeh, skip.

13. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

What do RPS readers think of Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity II? Both are games I’ve nearly bought before, but now they’re both featured in the Humble Weekly sale and I’m itching to purchase them — just want to make sure they’re good beforehand.

strangeloup says:

The Weekly sale is a pretty great deal, imho, and I’m looking to pick it up myself. Divinity 2 is a bit weird but pretty good in its own way, and the version in the bundle has all the content and (hopefully) none of the bugs that turned up through the various releases. I believe RPS quite liked Dragon Commander, and I think this is the cheapest it’s gone so far.

• MartinWisse says:

I think it was cheaper in the Gog insomnia sale, but my memories are a bit scrambled from that.

• finbik says:

I liked Dragon Commander a lot, but Divinity 2 is an outstanding RPG and possibly the best game in the bundle. This is the final version with the various fixes, patches and the expansion included – the original release got some rather bad reviews, but the bundle’s version is one of the best RPGs around, and would be even if you didn’t get to turn into a dragon.

• LionsPhil says:

I finished Dragon Commander just yesterday, and tried to get at some alternate branches today, so here’s the Steam review I just wrote.

I was in the open beta, so some of that disappointment is that these issues weren’t really addressed, in particular the inflexible multiplayer. There’s not a lot of co-op comp-stomping life to it. On a similar line, there’s a lot of skirmish life in what I consider RTS greats like many of the pre-EA C&Cs, and TA/SupComm, but almost none in Dragon Commander, and not just because the campaign is a string of skirmishes that will make you bored of them.

• icupnimpn2 says:

I won Divinity 2 in an email contest right here on RPS a few years ago. I have since purchased it on at least wo separate occasions as part of bundles. I don’t know what that says about me.

It’s a good game. It’s not a “Oblivion killer” or anything, but there is a joy to it. Everything Larian has made seems to have a “fun factor” that’s missing from other games. They always include quirky options and dialogue.

Combat in Divinity 2 feels more arcadey to me than in other open-world RPGs. There are some elements of platforming and shooting. These work pretty well, actually. Plus, a few hours into the game you get to turn into a dragon and fly around.

Finally, the music is awesome, awesome, awesome.

Divine Divinity and even the sometimes-maligned Beyond Divinity deliver guaranteed fun, as well.

14. Jalan says:

That DLC is region-locked, so what they have on offer there is about as complete as one is going to get.

• CaidKean says:

Except for the fact that it isn’t.

All it requires is you to ask an eastern European friend to buy it and gift it to you. The actual DLC itself is available in English and everything works even if your own account isn’t located in eastern Europe.

• Jalan says:

Except for the fact it is? Damn, why is it that some people insist on countering their own point with their follow-up responses? Having someone else buy it and gift it does not change the fact that it’s a region-locked purchase.

• CaidKean says:

You didn’t state that you meant the purchase specifically. Generally when people say region-locked in regards to Steam they mean the titles where you can only actually start the product if your current location is detected as the one it is validated for.

Something that does not apply to the The Betrayal of Jimmy.

• LionsPhil says:

How is it not obvious that the context is purchasing it, given the complaint is “this bundle offered for purchase is missing an item”?

• CaidKean says:

I concede.

15. HadToLogin says:

If you have no problem with finding and using Brazilian proxy, two games from 2k for around $8 (not sure about exact exchange rates, but R$1 is less than US$0.5) : http://www.nuuvem.com.br/promo/dose-dupla-2k .

But you need to use Brazilian proxy to be able to add to cart. But no problems paying with paypal.

• MartinWisse says:

Actually, I’ve been able to buy from them without using a proxy (I’m in Holland), so your mileage may vary.

16. Noburu says:

Fabulous daily deal on Humble Bundle for Eve online. Theres only ~12 hours left to get it as of this posting. You can get a 30 day sub and starter pack for as little as $1 usd. Great for anyone whos ever wanted to give it a try. Im biting the bullet myself with a couple friends and we are going to give it a go.

EDIT: Apparently reply broke and we have tons of replies under my new thread :P