Evolve: Alien Dogs, Robots, Mini-Guns and Megamouths

By Ben Barrett on May 27th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

I think my favourite thing about Evolve is its logo. It’s intricately designed, simple genius. Those of you laughing, or perhaps suggesting that says more about the game than the logo, can all shush. Turtle Rock’s Left 4 Monsters sits squarely in the middle of familiarity and originality for me, taking a co-op formula I appreciated and placing it in a more attractive sci-fi sphere. Changing from a long trek through swarms of undead to a single, flowing battle against one foe appeals more to me too. There’s a new trailer with details on the latest four additions to the good guys and the newest map below.

What is worrying is the lack of information about differing opposing forces. Since we last heard from them Turtle Rock have been fully shtum on what variations there might be from the Goliath seen here and, well, everywhere else in their media so far. L4D extended its playtime with the massive selection of maps, modes and scenarios that could be constructed with its many small moving parts. The key difference is how powerful Evolve’s individual characters are in comparison, which skews the algorithm. If the monster can clear buildings in a single bound, the exact intricate details of those buildings becomes much less relevant. Equally, if it can be tied down by numorous special powers, the geometry of nearby areas when it comes to choke points and open clearings becomes less relevant.

According to all reports, Evolve’s already more than enough for a few hours at a preview event. The next stage is to ensure it can hold our attentions for the weeks, months and years that multiplayer titles require. Titanfall is currently battling that conundrum despite being one of the most hype-filled releases in recent memory. There’s potential in Evolve, Turtle Rock just need to leverage it. Nathan’ll have some more impressions in the near future.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The Army of None says:

In all seriousness, though, that is a clever and lovely logo.

• Spacewalk says:

Way better than the old one too.

Gap Gen says:

Dunno, I’m holding off because I didn’t play EVOLIVE, or indeed the three games before.

• The Random One says:

Good luck. I’m still waiting for The Madness of King George I and II reruns.

• ix says:

I… don’t get it. What’s so intricately designed about it? (Honest question)

• The Random One says:

Not really intricate, just clever. The logo is a visual interpretation of the game’s concept. In the game, a four player team is evenly matched against a team with a single, powerful player. The logo shows first four letters, each on a square (representing each a player in the human team), the letter V separatedly and without a background (so it stands for “versus”) and a last letter in a rectangle that’s as long as the four first squares put together (representing the “beast” team’s player).

• MrUnimport says:

I have to say the significance only dawned on me very recently and now I think it’s really cool, although not particularly aesthetically pleasing.

• The Random One says:

Yes, I had thought that was a fantastic logo as well. I mentioned as much here so you know I’m not just trying to fall in Mr Barret’s good graces.

(I hadn’t seen the replies to that post yet though, and am now fighting the urge to change my screen name to LOGOPERSON.)

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Somehow, I’m afraid, the game will be bashed in future for misrepresenting its title.

2. Varakkys says:

That’s quite the beard colony they have going on there.

3. CookPassBabtridge says:

A difficult name for an international community though. I look forward to playing a game of ewolwe or two.

4. Dagonath says:

The character “Bucket” caught my attention..
    -Robot
    -British accent
    -Enjoy hunting

Sounds awfully familiar to a certain game doesn’t it?

Bugamn says:

Is Jim confirmed as a monster?

Gap Gen says:

Yeah, well I have a funny British accent. And I bet I can pull my own head off, too.

Hang on.

I got this.

5. MrUnimport says:

I’m a little puzzled by the reference to L4D’s level geometry being important. In my experience, when the chief foe is paper-weak, runs directly at you, and climbs all obstacles to get to you, most fights devolve into thinning the crush of zombies around you or directly in front of you. Most of the playing field doesn’t come into it.

6. Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

I’d object that the supposed “originality” part of expected Left 4 Hunters sounds to me rather riddickulous!

7. mpcarolin says:

This game looks better and better every time I see it. I really think this will be something special when you play with friends.

8. madeofsquares says:

Am I right in thinking the voice actor for that Lazarus chap is the same as TF2’s spy?

9. milton says:

I think if they opened it up to modding similarly to L4D2 and integrated it with community workshop (if it’s on steam) then it could help lengthen it’s lifespan.

Also they’ll really have to add a slew of maps and creatures if they want this game to succeed. Even if it is good on launch there’s no guarantee anyone will be playing it after 6/12/24 months.

My worry is that the game will become too skewed to a single side because once the hunters learn the map, the terrain advantage that the creature has become significantly decreased. While you can balance this, if it’s a fundamental issue that a strong team of hunters will always beat even a skilled monster player, we have a real issue.

I really do wish that they’ll make all the right moves because I really want to see this succeed.