Glorious Mud: Spintires Squelching Out In June

By Alice O'Connor on May 27th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Splosh!

A large part of PC gaming, to me, is developers combining several niche passions to make dream games–games that may not have mass appeal, but will be adored by people at the intersection of their niches. Off-road driving with fancy terrain deformation might appear on any platform, but in a sim where all the vehicles are honking great Soviet-era military and industrial hardware bristling with squillions of wheels? That’s a PC game all right. And that’s Spintires, which is finally almost ready to roll out after years of teasing us with its pretty pretty mud.

A new trailer reveals that Spintires is due on June 13, and shows more of that lovely mud. How exciting is it? Enough to warrant a dubstep soundtrack. Apparently all those parody trailers for sims made enough of an impact upon the scene for developers to now wub in earnest.

Spintires will send drivers out into Soviet forests to sploosh through mud and water and gravel and mess on missions like delivering a felled logs or rescuing trapped vehicles. I had no idea this interested me until I saw a stuck tanker being hauled out of the mire by a chunky eight-wheeled truck resembling a mobile SAM launcher.

Developers Oovee released a tech demo last year, which you can still download if you want to play in the mud yourself. It’s quite outdated by this point, mind.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

Tyres are made of wubber.

/coat

2. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

If someone asks me what’s youtube all about, ill show them those dubstep videos.

3. shinkshank says:

That’s possibly the most enthralling video of trucks driving through mud I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen a lot of those.

4. MrThingy says:

“Oh yes… there will be mud.”

5. Ramshackle Thoughts says:

I am worried I will never not read this as ‘Sphincters’.
    But I know that says more about my brain than anything else.

6. Henke says:

I’ve been looking forward to this since the demo they released in 2011. Just 2 more weeks now! :D

7. Prolar Bear says:

I saw this trailer the other day and it made me laugh almost more than the montage parodies.
    The logic behind the editing is amazing:
    -truck struggles in the mud
    -truck gets stuck
    -truck gets unstuck against all odds
    -SUCCESS \ TERRIBLE WUBSTEP PLAYS

8. perfect says:

offline resurrection
    Chris X

9. xcession says:

For a game that has made so much of it’s mud-mangling physics it’s still rather surprising to see that oddity where the ground deforms before the tires have actually touched it.

10. SRTie4k says:

This would actually be pretty cool if they could add more offroad rigs, like the Wrangler, and well known offroad trails, like the Rubicon Trail, Telluride, Moab, etc.

11. bosseye says:

I played the demo of this a while back, there was some awesomely clever tech behind it. Splodging through all that deformable mud was a joyful experience. The only issues I had was continually getting stuck, sometimes 10 seconds from setting off for a drive and the bizarre and woeful camera controls which sent the camera a-swoopin’ and a-divin- all over the shop with no easy way to get it pointing in a sensible direction. May have bn fixed now though, this was maybe 8-9 months ago.

The water and mud physics though, worth a play just to go ‘Oooooh’.

• lofaszjoska says:

I tried the demo that had an UAZ and the Kraz (I think) in it. What surprised me is how ridiculously well-optimized it was despite the pretty graphics and all the fancy physics behind it.

12. carlos ribeiro says:

Finally! A sim for the highways of my country…

13. prostetnik says:

Dammit.
    I hadn’t heard of this before.
    I want this now.

14. Jason Moyer says:

The tech demo of this was great. Can’t wait for the full release, although I’m kinda disappointed it won’t initially ship with cockpits.

15. Spacewalk says:

Take THAT nature.

16. Vagrant says:

Asking the important question… How long until I can tear it up in a Subaru WRX? (or a Group B Audi Quattro, yum!)

17. LiquidKameleon says:

Was there any word on the features of the game, like a career mode or something similar? Did they return that stick shifter back?

18. BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

I remember playing the tech demo of this and it was pretty good fun. If you can make mud fun you’ve done something right.

19. lowprices says:

Somebody give whoever made that trailer all the awards. That was incredible.

20. Pundabaya says:

No Unimog, no sale.

21. Surlywombat says:

If this doesn’t get a fast show mod i’m going to be disappointed.

22. Phasma Felis says:

The demo enthralled me. I realize it’s weird to call a truck game “pastoral,” but there was just something about the quality of the light and the sound of the wind in the trees…I must have trekked through a gazillion primeval forests in as many different games, but Spintires is the only one that’s ever reminded me of crawling out of a tent at dawn and watching the sun rise over the Appalachians. I could almost smell the mountain air (presumably choked with diesel fumes, but hey). It was much more relaxing than trying to drive up a 45-degree slope in three feet of mud had any right to be.

I was also amused by the choice of vehicles. That little jeep would probably qualify nicely as “off-road” in modern suburbia, but the Urals laugh in its face and take its lunch money. I’m pretty sure its sole purpose in the game is to put you in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate the brute majesty of the MAZ.

Comment on this story