Into The Vasty Deep: Elite Dangerous

By Adam Smith on May 27th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

I spent most of the weekend playing the magnificent Distant Worlds: Universe (many words on that tomorrow) and it’s left me feeling like a claustrophobic sardine – craving more space. Thankfully, Elite: Dangerous is on-hand with a new development diary in the form of Captain Braben talking to camera while the cosmos occurs in the background. Elite is already an exciting game and most of the features that I associate with the series haven’t even been integrated yet. Hot laser dogfights are peachy keen though. The new video shows interstellar exploration and the devilish details that mark the enormity of the game world.

The last forty seconds or so get the message across without a single word. A hyperspace jump is worth a thousand dictionaries. They should have sent a photojournalist, I guess, or a highly efficient camera crew.

I’m reassured that Braben is as excited by the backdrop as I am because I don’t think the importance of scale can be overexaggerated. If the distance between one point and another is measured in the time it takes to arrive, the journey is an excuse for a coffee break or a prolonged ale-tasting session.

The distance should be marked by visible cosmic milestones and a sense of approaching unimaginable enormity. Space is full of wonder (at least in the few places that it isn’t entirely empty) and I’d hope Dangerous will be a place for tourists as well as traders.

Gargantuan ships handling like space whales with a spur in their flank are appealing as well. The sense of weight is vital even when piloting a small craft and I can’t wait to steer an enormous cargo ship into a docking bay. Even Braben admits it’s tricky. Now is perhaps not the time to admit that I use automatic parking when I play Euro Truck Simulator 2 because I end up scraping off more than my paint job when I try to reverse into a space manually.

I am doomed.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. kwyjibo says:

To join the beta, it will cost you £100.

• Antsy says:

Really? £100 just for beta access? You don’t perhaps also get the game and future expansions for that price?

To be fair, it is expensive viewed from the perspective of wanting to play it right now. There will be a normal beta along for £35, or whatever the base game costs, when the premium beta period ends.

There’s good reason for limiting the number’s playing it, the net code in alpha 4 is better but still very wonky. Hopefully this will improve again for the Premium Beta but honestly, just opening the floodgates and letting everyone in would be a recipe for disaster.

• Cinek says:

Still overpriced like hell.

• BobbyDylan says:

Yes, that’s the point.

• Trotar says:

Depends on how you look at it.
          ED does not have a monthly fee.
          Most mmo’s cost a monthly fee high enough that you spend that same amount in 1 year on the monthly fee alone.

But ED premium beta also comes with an expansion pass.
          So you get the game, the expansions, early access and no monthly fee.
          Frankly I think it’s a pretty damn good deal tbh.

That is assuming it’s the type of game one likes to play ofc.
          So sure, it’s a big gamble when you are not sure about that and i would advice anyone who isn’t sure to just wait.
          But for fans like me the price is actually very good.
          Plus I get the boost of feeling like i contributed to what is promising to become a very unique game.

• fish99 says:

Instead of comparing it to an MMO, it probably makes more sense to compare the game in beta to the game at launch. Will there be £65 worth of DLC? If not then how much will there be, and how much is playing it early worth to you, if anything.

• DjBlades says:

@fish99 Planetary landings, driving vehicles on planets, getting out and walking around on your ship, boarding enemy ships, spacewalks, walking around stations and planets.
            Yes, i’d say the DLC is worth that, as it adds massive new features.

• Krazen says:

Premium Beta apart from the game (£35) also includes the Expansion Pass (currently £35 on their store) so you automatically get every future game expansion. That makes that £100 figure not that extreme. Since the normal beta is £50 and will only be available in a month or two to play, you’re basically paying a £15 premium for immediate access.

• PopeRatzo says:

Since the normal beta is £50…

Let’s all take a moment to think about that. Let it sink in, before you move on.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

As well as the fact that £100 likely outprices a lot of the people that are just looking to play the beta because they are too impatient and won’t actually treat it like a beta at all. These are also the people that will bitch and whine and badmouth the game because *shock horror* a beta actually has features that aren’t working properly yet.

Seriously people unless you want to actively support development of the game by helping with bug reports and trying to break things just WAIT until release. You are depriving yourself by playing a worse game because you are too impatient to wait.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

This is similar to games like Planetary Annihilation. During the kickstarter it cost a certain amount to pledge to get into the alpha, etc. So it does seem rather unfair to make it cheaper for people who want to join these early stages.

So why not wait until release?

-edit- Granted, perhaps they shouldn’t have locked away alpha/beta access behind such an expensive pledge but that’s a stage long since passed.

• DjBlades says:

If you backed the game for $100 to get into the premium beta, only to find it given to people for a fraction of the price after, would you be happy?

• Starayo says:

Yeah, I jumped over to the site with the intention of grabbing it, wondering why I hadn’t… And then I realised it’s because I STILL can’t justify dropping nearly $200 on a game, even one like this.

• elevown says:

Well- it will drop to £100 in 3 days- and including all future DLC/expansions- if you are sure you are gonna be in it for the long term, and are sure he can deliver- that dosnt seem that bad if you really want in right now.

• ilves says:

Yes, but at launch it will be less expensive. Beta is that because it costs the original backers that much to get into it. At launch it will be normal priced.

• c-Row says:

They should hurry so we don’t have to read the same rubbish complaint over and over again whenever a new article on E:D gets posted.

• PopeRatzo says:

Beta is that because it costs the original backers that much to get into it.

You say that as if it was some sort of explanation. People who donate are not called “backers”, they are called “donors”. It’s not called “investment” it’s called “charity”, even if you do get a commemorative thank-you email.

Backers are people who have a financial stake in the game’s success. People who are buying a game are called “customers”.

I’m thinking if we review some of these basic economic terms, we can make more sense of the highly corrupt and wizened economics of video game development.

• The Random One says:

Precisely. For instance, if I give money to a game in development, that money will have been wasted if the game is not to my liking or never comes out. Therefore, those are backers.

• Lemming says:

Actually, they are called ‘patrons’. It’s patronage. Even patrons expect to get invited to a dinner once in a while.

• Continuity says:

“highly corrupt” is a bit of a stretch mate and speaking as one of the backers/donors/patrons of this game’s kickstarter I fully understand the desire on the developer’s part to “keep faith” with its supporters, to whom it owes a great deal. That said I personally couldn’t care less if they changed the pricing structure after the kickstarter, but then I don’t see alpha/beta access as any sort of benefit, I personally much rather playing my games when they are content complete an functional.

• Arithon says:

The BETA price of £100 is for the “Premium Beta” – the standard BETA a month later will cost £50 ($84 US). These prices were determined by the reward levels in the original Kickstarter. If you changed them, a lot of people who funded the game would get pretty upset they had paid for their reward only to have it given away.

The final game will cost £35 ($59 US) and considering a PoS like Titanfail cost £45 ($76 US) and they have REMOVED game-play modes since that game launched, I’d say Elite is hardly a rip-off price.

• BobbyDylan says:

I’ve not seen confirmation standard beta will be a month after premium. I expect premium Beta to take us till July at least.

Anyone waiting on the standard beta will likely only start playing in August.

• Cinek says:

Only Titanfall is actually a fully-fledged game offering by far more features than E:D which is just a beta with majority of features still missing.

Besides – if you want to compare it to something – compare it to a direct competitor. Star Citizen sells it’s beta access for 35$ (30$ for starting ship + 5$ for Arena Commander access) and they don’t use any pathetic excuses on how they need to compensate for Kickstarter backers egos.

So, yes, E:D beta access is a rip-off price.

• Antsy says:

Aw, nice edit.

Honestly I think the price is a “rip-off” only if you only see the beta access part of it. Getting the game and all future expansions on top of that mean’s that it’s not much more expensive than Titanfall and it’s Season Pass.

They don’t want lots of people in the early beta, they want to see how their systems work as they add players. Star Citizen certainly wont be giving access to all their customers immediately either and you know there will be plenty of noise made by those that have to wait a little while there.

• Cinek says:

Yea, I realized it didn’t make any sense after posting ;) Thank god for edit function. :P

“Honestly I think the price is a “rip-off” only if you only see the beta access part of it. ”
            - Nope, I see everything that’s in a package… and it’s still a rip-off.

• Continuity says:

@Cinek yeah the price is a rip-off if you take it as a face value price, but in reality they’re not intending to sell vast amounts of copies at this price and the only reason the price is set at that level is to keep faith with the kickstarter reward structure.
            I mean, they could have chosen not to let any additional beta testers in at any price… would that have been even more of a rip-off as the price would effectively be infinite? You have to realise they are not selling a game, the are selling beta tester access which is something that is only of concern to beta testers, right now you cannot buy Elite Dangerous for £100 or any other price because the game does not exist yet (though you can effectively pre-order in this way I suppose, if you were foolhardy enough, given that the release price will be considerably lower) .

• Slawkenbergius says:

At least follow through to the conclusion, if you’re going to do a comparison. Star Citizen gives you access to a trading ship for $35 dollars, which is not exactly a great fit for the up-coming arena-based shooter module. If you want a military-type ship, you can get one for $110. If that’s too rich, you can get the mid-tier ship for $55. Presumably as ships are added, we’ll get to the stage where you can pay $225 for a multi-crewed ship. And then there’s more $5 modules along the way. Plus you can already buy all manner of guns and buggies and whatnot in the ‘micro’-transaction store. There’s also talk of some pay-per-play mechanic for letting you try out other ships, though it remains to be seen how much that costs.

So the price of entry is cheap, but for the time being Star Citizen is like an unbalanced F2P game that you actually have to buy first. I’m not massively in favour of Elite’s paywall (though admittedly I have paid), but it is at least fairly obvious to behold, like some vast black monolith orbiting Jupiter. (Hint, it’s full of stars…)

• Cinek says:

“Star Citizen gives you access to a trading ship for $35 dollars, which is not exactly a great fit for the up-coming arena-based shooter module.” – It’s not a trading ship. It’s a starting fighter. Works fine for upcoming arena commander – tons of people will be flying it.

” If you want a military-type ship, you can get one for $110.” – it’s still a civilian ship. Just one with more guns and better shields, but much bigger and less agile.

“Presumably as ships are added, we’ll get to the stage where you can pay $225 for a multi-crewed ship” – yea, but that’s something that E:D doesn’t offer and at the release of SC these ships won’t be available.

” And then there’s more $5 modules along the way.” – no, it’s not. And noone buys weapons from the store, it’s a scam (basically: you buy a weapon for real money that you will loose as soon as your ship gets destroyed and you do not have an insurance for equipment). They plan to give people some free credits to purchase gear for testing.

“So the price of entry is cheap, but for the time being Star Citizen is like an unbalanced F2P game that you actually have to buy first. ” – Again: It’s not. Every ship in the game will be a perfectly variable option, even a starting Aurora MR will have it’s own advantages over bigger and smaller ships (more agile than bigger ships, better armed than smaller). Star Citizen doesn’t have a linear progression through the ships like most of the space games have. In SC you’ll be able to enjoy the game with any ship – sure, a different one can suit your playstyle better, but when you get a new ship in Star Citizen – you get a different ship, not a better one in all fields. So it’s very different to what you try to paint it.

• Slawkenbergius says:

The official description for the Aurora says: “Utilitarian to a tee, the Aurora is the perfect beginner’s ship: what it lacks in style it makes up for in ample upgrade modules”. The Hornet says: “The UEE Navy’s premier carrier-based fighter craft, the F7A is the front-line attack ship for military combat missions. While not outfitted for long range runs, the Hornet can take her share of hits… and dish out a consistent powerful response.” One of them sounds a lot more suited to a fight than the other.

I’m looking forward to the Star Citizen persistent universe, and intend to play both games. It’s just a bit lame when people use the money thing as a stick, when both games have things to answer for.

• DjBlades says:

Give me a massive space exploration game that i can have a say in the development of anyday over a generic arena shooter with high powered vehicles, that has already had to cut gamemodes due to the playerbase.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Ahhahaha. I get such a kick out of people like you complaining about not being able to get in for cheaper. You claim it’s a ripoff and try to imply it’s not worth a premium, yet you clearly are chomping at the bit to get in, which shows that this access is something people value dearly. I hope game devs do this more often, because I like nothing better than seeing childish impatience and entitlement be punished.

Even more hilarious, the people who claim when it’s got cheaper that they won’t buy it because they’re still mad that it was more expensive earlier. Yeah, like they’ll hold that boycott promise for long.

As for me, I’ll quietly wait until the time where the game is more finished and the price is right for my budget.

• MiniMatt says:

Not going to suggest £100 is anyway sensible but worth noting that my ZX Spectrum copy of Elite (bought for me as a Christmas present by my Granddad) cost £14.99 – at the time “full price” games were all £7.99 to £9.99.

If (and it remains a big “if”) Elite proves to be the game early coverage suggests it will be, the cost per hour may well end up, like it’s ZX Spectrum predecessor, be fractions of a penny per hour.

• Cinek says:

You forgot to include price of electricity (which is going to be quite a bit considering that E:D requires quite a high-end PC and pushes hardware quite hard if you run it at highest details).

• Yetas says:

To join beta, get the released game and all future expansions, it’ll cost you £100. Even without premium beta access, that’s a bargain.

2. Seboss says:

And tricky it is. And costly. Protip for Premium beta testers: always keep insurance money handy.

• GeminiathXL says:

Don’t fly what you can’t afford. Wait, where did I hear that one before…..

3. SanguineAngel says:

It looks flipping gorgeous, I really can’t wait to get stuck into this. I kinda wish I’d backed it way back when as now I’m waiting around for the full release and that is agonising.

Orange aside, it looks almost exactly like Frontier: Elite II looked in my mind’s eye whenever I played that for countless hours as a kid. Tres excited

4. phelix says:

There is no shame in automatic parking in ETS2. Right? …right? D:

5. almostDead says:

It’s this and the other one, that will finally make me upgrade my PC. Thanks to consoles I am still doing just fine on 4Gb RAM and a 460 series card with an ancient Quad core.

I guess it helps that I am playing things like Cataclysm DDA with my time and not Watch_Dogs_Fuck_That.

I clicked onto Distant Worlds because of your link, and oof, that looks clunky. Like Sins with even less polish.

• killias2 says:

Distant Worlds is more like Europe Universalis in space than like a Sins game.

• BobbyDylan says:

Really? I’ve been wishing for a space EU game. If this is true, you may have just sold me a copy.

• vecordae says:

Having played it pretty much non-stop all weekend, I’m pretty confident saying that DW’s a fantastic game. It’s vast, it’s well-designed, it’s often brutal, and it can be deeply engaging. It’s also a game that’s hard to peg down the real scope of when you first start, and that can be confusing.

Basically, you can start off as a civilization with only the basics of space flight, where it takes a long stretch of time just to get to another planet in the same solar system, and work your way up to a galactic powerhouse in a galaxy comprised of thousands of star systems and dozens of factions. Fun times. Deadly, but fun.

6. Harlander says:

Language pedantry GO: enormity most commonly means atrociousness, offence and so on. Is ED’s gameworld particularly unpleasant?

• Gilead says:

I hear it’s really, really dangerous.

• Lemming says:

Jesus, don’t get me started. Elite was the name of the series because it’s the highest rating of notoriety you could reach on your stats. Dangerous was the rating preceding that. How can anything be Elite:Dangerous?! *head explodes*

• Shadowcat says:

I see that you never progressed beyond “Dangerous” (to “Deadly”) :)

• killias2 says:

It also means large in scale/size. In fact, that’s the most common use in my experience. For example, see “enormous,” which has pretty much the same usage.

• Harlander says:

That’s true. I’m just trying to force language use to conform to my own tastes really. There are more harmful hobbies to have…

• TechnicalBen says:

It is in fact the most dangerous hobby to have. I cannot offer cookies, but kudos for those who know why…

• harrumph says:

It’s common, yeah, but that doesn’t make it right! The thing is that we already have the word “enormousness” to mean “really really large-ness.” Using “enormity” to mean the same is not only redundant, it’s a waste of an excellent word that, in the sense of “wickedness so vast that it’s difficult to wrap your head around,” doesn’t have any synonyms.

Language changes, true, but it needn’t always change for the worse. Won’t someone think of the children, etc. etc.

• Koozer says:

Well, I have never heard that definition before. Thanks, but I’ll never use it in that sense for fear of confusion. Please don’t hurt me.

• elevown says:

Ive never hear of it being used in that context- only ‘size / scale’ etc. Can you give an example where it means what you say?

7. somnolentsurfer says:

Well, colour me actually impressed. Of all the major Kickstarters, I thought this was the one most likely to evaporate like a planet under Vogon demolition beams.

• MrThingy says:

I know, Braben is like the anti-Molyneux.

• FireStorm1010 says:

lol good one

yea i wasnt to sure about this either at first, but atm im very very excieted about this, much more then Star Citizen.

It seems to have this distinct style and mood that imho Star Citizen videos lack.Also the combat video imho looked much better in terms of interesting mechanics and flow. Anyway will try both , awesome we can have both after so long of nothing,

• somnolentsurfer says:

I’m still way more excited for No Mans Sky, but obviously we’ve seen little more than a concept video of that, whereas this appears to be a functioning game…

• Lemming says:

They should totally name a black hole in the game after him. The Molyneux Abyss.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Well said. His attention to detail and the amount of things Braben and his team get just right are staggering. Also, they seem to be good at extracting feedback and suggestions from the backers’ community without getting sidetracked or implementing every dumb idea.

8. MrStones says:

Haven’t really been paying close attention to this for fear of spoiler-y things or that I might push myself over the “must buy beta now” edge, any word on a release date yet? or even a rough idea?

• nu1mlock says:

A rough estimate is December 31st. I read somewhere that they plan to release the game “Late 2014″ but I can’t remember where or if it’s actually accurate. But I think they are aiming for late 2014 anyway.

Edit: Actually their own website states 2014. http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

• BobbyDylan says:

Official stance is by the end of the year for the Galaxy. The planet landing and FPS bits will come in 2015 and 2016 most likely.

The 30th anniversary for Elite is September this year, so I expect the game to be in “Gama” by then.

• Cinek says:

Gamma version? Jesus, the kind of shit devs make to call their stuff is just… you can’t make it up, you really can’t. Who was the first one using that BS term in gaming? Planetary Annihilation? Or there was anyone before them?

I really enjoyed these days when words had a meaning and Alpha version meant “in-development” while beta version meant “feature-complete”.

• drakmaniso says:

Except it never was their *real* meaning. The definition comes from an age where people still believed pyramidal development could work (it never did). The truth is, there is no clear frontier between a “bug” and a “lack of feature”. A small shift in words or point of view and you go from one to the other. Switching from “alpha” to “beta” always meant one thing: “guys, we’re getting there!”.

The Elite beta will have the main gameplay mechanics in place (trading, bounty hunting, piracy, and a very small taste of exploration). It will lack content and refinement, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a big milestone.

As for the “gamma” phase, we’ll see if and how it will be used. But if it turns out to refer to a “polishing” phase, then I’m all for it. Fixing bugs isn’t in any way the end of the road: what makes or break a great software is all the little details you can tune or add.

• iainl says:

In this context, “Gamma” seems to mean “The game’s out and on virtual shelves, but adding features (landing on planets and getting out of your spacecraft) through expansions”. For which it’s as good a term as any, I suppose.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

The original meaning of Alpha and Beta testing was simple tbh. Alpha testing = internal testing, Beta testing = external testing. The gaming industry has completely bastardised that now though.

• drakmaniso says:

That’s not true either. Some companies may have used this policy, but there has always been alpha software tested in the wild.

I agree that some games have somewhat stretched the meaning of the words, but their definition were loose to begin with.

• Cinek says:

At the beginning definition was actually very strict: Beta is a version of a software that has all of the features implemented from an original project scope. Sure, tiny things can be added here and there, just like bugs are closed, and issues fixed, but the overall project scope is closed.

(In case of kickstarter games: this would be the list of features promised by developers during the campaign to hit the game release – sadly noone seems to give a shit about that when it comes to naming their versions of a game).

As for what Smoky_the_Bear mentioned – that’s “closed” and “open” testing, and you are right – this was done in both: alpha and beta tests.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Don’t worry, there are still a few more letters available in the greek alphabet. They can use Sanskrit after that if they run out.

9. Boosh says:

It had a slightly wonky start but Alpha 4 is now pretty stable and probably the first proper look at how the game might feel in release. I’ve not really played that much as there is another reset for premium beta release in a few days and my time is extremely precious. Thankfully ED gifted us with 1.5m credits recently (the cynics may say this was appeasement due to hackers enjoying the parts of the game others cannot hope to achieve in the short term), so I’ve been able to try out the other ships too.

Even in this relatively tiny part of the Galaxy in which we’re currently restricted it completely nails that vastness of space feeling, the whole thing just urges you to go forth and explore, racking up the tension and sense of vulnerability after each hyperspace jump.

This was my £200 plan (and massive gamble) to finally kill a two account 10 year addiction to Eve Online, I un-subscribed when I invested in Elite and, thus far, not looked back. I’ve pumped well over 2k into Eve Online over the years. I’ll not be doing subs again!

10. Darth Gangrel says:

“Hot laser dogfights are peachy keen though” I read that as “Hotdog laserfights are peach-y keen though”. Mmm, hotdogs during laserfights and with peaches as well. Yeah, you’re damn right that’s peachy keen!

11. Keyrock says:

Great googly moogly that looks fantastic.

12. curiousepic says:

If you’re in the Premium Beta, come join us in plumbing those vasty deeps at http://firstgreatexpedition.org/

We’re a 100+ strong expeditionary force planning to push the frontier to its “limits”.

13. JamesTheNumberless says:

I still have nightmares about docking in Elite 2…

And before anyone says “but there were docking computers.” There were also bugs!

In fact, the gentle tones of Strauss are enough to make me break into a cold sweat. Which is really a bit of a problem when you live in Vienna.

• Sleepymatt says:

I lost count of the number of times my docking computers killed me in the original BBC B version of Elite. Anyhoo, it was enough that I ended up manually docking every time, to the point that I could slam that Cobra in to the docking slot from miles out at full speed before smashing the brakes a few seconds out…. ah happy memories!

• JamesTheNumberless says:

The problem in Frontier was the more realistic space physics, coupled with the ridiculous size and mass of the the really high capacity freighters. In a fully laden Panther Clipper, docking anywhere presented several problems, not least of which that your docking computer might fly you straight into a smaller ship, obliterating it and earning you an instant criminal record.

14. Themadcow says:

Eye wateringly beautiful. I’m trying to reign in my enthusiasm but this looks like the game I’ve been waiting for since… well, ever.

Elite, a retail Oculus Rift and The Blue Danube waltz playing in the background as I explore the galaxy. Gaming opium.

• Continuity says:

Well said, I still have fond memories of Elite 2 from my Amiga days, even if the controls on the Amiga were dreadful compared to the PC.

15. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Those windows are filthy. It bothers me.

• Shadowcat says:

Miner
      Trader
      Pirate
      Bounty hunter
      Intergalactic window-cleaner

• Harlander says:

Guy in a spacesuit with a squeegee floats up to the window.

“No, no, I don’t… it’s clean enough, go away!”

16. Dante80 says:

Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, No Mans’ Sky, Eve Valkyrie, Limit Theory, Enemy Starfighter, Flagship…

good times to be a space fan!

17. wodin says:

WOW it’s looking great.

18. Flank Sinatra says:

I bit the bullet and dropped 150$ on the premium beta. It’s the most I’ve ever spent on a game, not counting WOW, but it’s been totally worth it so far. Supercruising over the ice rings of a gas planet and watching them resolve into individual rocks, then diving in and dogfighting pirates among the asteroids. Traveling 20 times the speed of light then looping through a planet’s gravity well to burn off speed. It’s the game I’ve always dreamed of playing since the old X-wing games.
    I think it was the sound effects that sold me though. The whine of the engine as you throttle up or how it sputters when you get knocked out of hyperspace just makes it feel right. That attention to detail sold me.
    There’s tons of problems with server lag that cause the game to freeze up when you enter a new zone, ruining the immersion of seamless flight. There’s a lot of crashing to desktop and don’t even think of alt-tabbing. And parking in the stations is buggy. But this small sample of the game has been more stable and bug free, and over all more fun to play than some major full release games (X-Rebirth!).
    I’ll be pinching pennies and eating peanut butter sandwiches for the rest of the summer but I’m having a blast in the beta. And I really like peanut butter sandwiches.