Erp: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delayed Again

By Nathan Grayson on May 29th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

All systems were so very nearly go for a Star Citizen dogfighting module launch today. Chris Roberts and co told everyone to mark their calendars. There was a lot to be done before the big day, but not so much that the former Wing Commander commander-in-chief couldn’t make all the nice outer space murder birdies fly. Or at least, that’s what everybody thought last week. Turns out, however, that the space bugs were a few too numerous to be smashed in such a short period of time, so the dogfighting module has been delayed again. Good news, though: you’re going to get daily development updates until the long-awaited combat alpha soars.

Chris Roberts explained why Arena Commander, as it’s known, is seeing yet another delay, and what he’s going to do as compensation for fans who’ve already been patiently waiting for quite some time:

“Game developers classify bugs based on their severity: blockers, critical, major, moderate and minor. The most serious of these, blockers, are bugs that completely prevent the game from working and from being in a releasable state. Unfortunately, as of tonight, there are still two blockers and half a dozen critical issues (which we would like to fix before launch). Our biggest issue today is a newly developed DirectX crash which breaks the single player Vanduul Swarm mode every backer will be given access to. It would be foolish to release an unstable build, even if pre-alpha for the sake of meeting an internal deadline.”

“In order to keep our backers as informed as possible, I’m asking the production team to provide DAILY updates for the community until Arena Commander V0.8 ships. This will be the raw stuff: lists of bugs and other information to tell you the current health of the build. You will see the same information I do, and you will be able to follow as we resolve each ‘blocker’ preventing the build’s release.”

Apparently Arena Commander is still very close to release, just not close enough to go screaming out of the hangar today. Still though, that’s presumably much closer than the first public showcase, which was kind of a mess. The hope, however, is that it will be out very, very soon, and you’ll be able to follow along at home until then.

Shame that we’ll have to wait a little longer to try out what is perhaps Star Citizen’s most make-or-break aspect, but this isn’t the rawest deal ever. Keeping everyone in the loop is a good approach. Now here’s hoping very, very, very hard that it’s all worth the wait.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Rolento says:

I’ll be sticking with Elite thanks.

• secuda says:

Should have use the kickstarter campaign when i had the chanse :(

• Gap Gen says:

The Elite Kickstarter *was* bad, though, despite what the game looks like now. Plus £30 for the final game when all that existed of the game was a word document bashed out at 2am seemed like a steep ask. I’m very happy that Elite looks great now, but I don’t think I was wrong not to back it at the time, given what it was.

• secuda says:

Well i just regret that i wont get a boxed game, wich either rare on kickstarter or insanley expencive. Becide looking back now it seems that Elite is more of a game for me then what SC seems to be want.

• cherbert says:

What Star Citizen showed on their Kickstarter was total pre-rendered bullshit. They can’t even get a dogfighting module released. Elite goes into Beta tomorrow. Seems all the Star Citizen money is wasted on marketing and videos to get everyone over hyped over what will essentially become the biggest let down in gaming history.

• secuda says:

Not saying its some sort of scam, but its turning into more of a simulation and fps (i belive he say that you could take over bigger ships if you board them) style combat rather then just arcade fun ship to ship combat.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Ah, yeah. It looks like you ended up with your money on the wrong horse. SC seems to be pursuing less the classical space shooter and more a simulation of being the guy in cockpit, up to and including the part where that guy climbs out of the cockpit and winds up in a bar fight three districts over.

Which is magnificent for me because that sounds like the game that I never knew I always wanted, but I feel a bit for the folks that got pulled in before the design direction was better elucidated on.

• Zenicetus says:

Getting out of the cockpit and having a bar fight is a game I’d like to play too.

I’m just a bit skeptical that too much feature creep in that direction, will come at the expense of a truly immersive cockpit experience at the same time. It’s not easy to do both, which is why (I assume) the Mass Effect series gave us this very cool spaceship we could walk around in, but we don’t get to… you know, actually FLY the damn thing!

We already have a new Mass Effect in the works, and similar games for the walking around and interactive stuff. We also have a recent example of how terrible that can be, when done badly (X:Rebirth). What we don’t have — yet — is a modern and truly outstanding cockpit-level space game. So personally, that’s where I’d rather see the focus.

I’m also not that interested in getting into a bar fight if it’s an MMO, especially given what I’ve seen of the SC forum community. I think all I’d be doing in that game is endless bar fights.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, i won on two fronts:

A) I’m staying very far away from the hype machine
            B) I pledged for BOTH games.

I’m pretty confident i’ll be happy with both.

• Deano2099 says:

Yeah, it turns out that the ability to make a slick crowd-funding campaign and the ability to make a great game do not have much overlap. It seems fairly obvious now that Star Citizen is going to be great crowd-funding failure that was inevitable at some point. They’re going after extra money at such a rate and with such fever that they’re clearly struggling to deliver on the current budget, and they’re so far from the end point, even the crazy amount of money they’re raising will run out.

Note that when Double Fine split Broken Age in two, and put the first part up on early access to raise a bit more money to make the second half better, this site and others raked them over the coals for letting down backers and not delivering what was promised. Star Citizen quietly side-steps any such criticism by just constantly asking for more money throughout development, and not actually stopping and saying “okay, we have enough to make the game now then”.

• phuzz says:

I think Star Citizen have got just a little bit of criticism, for taking peoples money but consistently failing to release anything.

• Baines says:

Star Citizen is constantly releasing stuff. They just aren’t releasing a playable game. Or even much giving the appearance that they are working to release a playable game.

Instead, they are creating and selling more ships, and doing videos, promos, contests, and all sorts of stuff that aren’t a playable game.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The issue there is that most people can’t really abstract enough to form an unbiased opinion before the DFM is released, most of those are probably not researching much into it either.

I remember how many times Elite was accused of being vaporware before they actually released something to play.

Note that i’m not asking people to actually be pretty stupid and just have blind faith, i’m just trying to point out that educated guesses can be made if you’re watching a project very closely, especially one that has a very low entry price.

I’ve also seen people pointing out that getting the cheapest package is stupid as you’ll lose the competitive edge in the DFM. Is that REALLY the problem?

• S Jay says:

Chill. Play something else.

• SanguineAngel says:

I’ma get both! wheee! But I will be waiting until release for elite

• Krazen says:

Given the history of Braben with Elite sequels, the fact that Frontier havent produced a space game for over 15 years and SC having 20 times more Kickstarter funding and a huge production studio I would have bet good money Elite: Dangerous would be a bug-filled flop and we’d be all drooling over the SC playable demos by now.

How completely wrong I would have been.

• Gron says:

Frontier Developments were living / breathing development studio for all of this time (since last Elite was released). They had personnel that worked together on different (rather successful) projects and general knowledge of the industry.

Chris Roberts’s history on the other hand is.. mixed to say the least. The man is know for promising way too much and then not quite delivering. Here goes the quote from Wikipedia:

“Overall, reviewers acknowledged Freelancer fell short of the promises initially made by Roberts; however, it demonstrated a high quality of work in its implemented features. … The game, however, was an anti-climax for those who were hooked by the touted and promised initial concepts, many of which were never realized. ”

Is it just me who’s seeing a pattern here? :}

• Cinek says:

1/3 of Freelancer development was done by Microsoft. It’s hardly relevant.

If anything – relevant part is that Chris was out of Game Development industry for… what? 7 years or so. 7 years during which everything changed – there was a raise of Agile development, there was a raise of Indie, F2P, digital distribution, there was a demise of many paradigms both: in gaming communities and game development. These are enormous changes and clearly: Chris cannot catch up with the way things are done now, as opposite to the way stuff was done back in late ’90s.

• WrenBoy says:

Hes at a significant disadvantage because he missed the rise of Agile development?

Baby developers say the strangest things.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

@WrenBoy

Well, grabbing one line over a full paragraph is the dumbest and most obnoxious form of trolling though.

• WrenBoy says:

@TacticalNuclearPenguin

Im honestly not sure what you mean by that. With the added context of the rest of the paragraph do you think that he didnt really mean that missing out on Agile was somehow a disadvantage?

• HothMonster says:

Are you really quoting wikipedia? An unsourced quote blaming him for a game falling short when he wasn’t even involved in the end of it’s development. It’s gone already, but that whole article is still full of people trying to make him look bad. They should just fill it with clips of the wing commander movie.

• P.Funk says:

If you actually recollected the development history of Freelancer you’d know how it isn’t relevant to this situation.

• Arglebargle says:

I suspect that Microsoft bought Digital Anvil just to find out what was happening to all the money they were funneling to it. And once they did, they promptly fired Roberts’ ass.

And that was the point he fled to Hollywood to produce terrible to mediocre money losing films. I still fully expect Star Citizen to as good as Roberts’ Hollywood efforts. Except possibly for the money losing parts. He’s been a genius at developing a burgeoning cash shop in advance of an actual game.

This last year I have talked to ten people who worked with Roberts at Origin Systems. None of them have anything nice to say about the guy. So, good luck backers….

• sgstorm says:

@ArgleBargle – despite the fact you live in Texas your information is always false. Is it that you tried to get a job at Origin Systems and you resume was declined? Or is railing on other people you really know nothing about just what happens in your late 50s when you have nothing better to do?

• Maxheadroom says:

I backed both too but am rapidly losing faith in Star Citizen. Not just this latest delay, but because we’ve seen very little actual ‘game’ since it’s announcement. Just the hanger module (that came out a year ago) and endless talking / concept art /promises / behind the scenes videos of people at keyboards etc

Compared to Elite who in half the time with a fraction of the funds have a fully functional engine and 9/10ths of a finished game.

I’m not sorry I backed SC (yet) but if i hadn’t I’d probably wait for release and read some reviews

• sunarinelentari says:

I’m convinced that SC is actually some kind of get rich quick scheme. Any day now Chris Roberts is going to disappear with 40 mil in his back pocket.

• Chaz says:

Yep I’m pretty much in the same bag. I backed both at the start and I’m glad I have done so. However Elite is rapidly outshining Star Citizen by a country mile. That last Elite video was just amazing.

Star Citizen development just seems to be spending far too much time building new ships and fussing over the little details of them, rather than actually getting on with the meat of the game. We’ve seen almost nothing of the actual space systems we’ll be flying around or how we’ll be getting between them. Right now I’ve more or less lost interest in SC. I like the level of detail SC is promising but thus far we’ve seen precious little except for lots of ship renders.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah, judge both games long before either of them are out. Doesn’t seem stupid at all.

“If i hadn’t I’d probably wait for release and read some reviews”

This is what EVERYBODY should do with EVERY GAME. Instead we have this clamouring for beta, pay for early access nonsense going on constantly. Companies wouldn’t be doing it if people didn’t buy into this rubbish en masse.

Backing a Kickstarter is fine but you have people throwing £100+ at Elite now purely because they are too impatient to wait a few months for the finished game.

• Maxheadroom says:

I was only comparing them to each other as 2 work in progress projects at this point in time, which seemed fair.

You make a good point though, pre-order bonus’ & paid betas are a blight on the industry.
        I backed a shit-ton of kickstarters last year and fully expect to get burned on at least a couple of them (Shroud of the Avatar being my #1 pic for a flop closely followed by that Road Rash remake thats been suspiciously quiet lately) but they were all only backed to the 1st or 2nd tier so if one or 2 of them doimplode it’s money I can afford to lose.

If these people throwing hundreds or thousands of pounds at pretend spaceships (that dont even exist in the ‘pretend’ sense yet) can afford to lose that too then hats off to them and I wish I had their job, but that’s not me.

• somnolentsurfer says:

In general I broadly agree. I don’t regret any of the Kickstarters I’ve backed though (even Godus), and I’ll probably still back Draugen, even if it appears before Dreamfall Chapters gets released. I knew what I was getting into, and I was willing to take a risk on creators who’s work I had enjoyed in the past. But I have established some hard rules I’ll be following in the future:
        1) A Kickstarter is a gamble not a purchase, don’t bet what you can’t afford to lose.
        2) Stretch goals are for idiots. i’ll back up to the level you say you need to make the game. If you’ve already reached your target without my money, I won’t gamble it. Buying on release is much more sensible.

• 2late2die says:

I backed both, and while I’m having reasonable fun with Elite, its scope is much smaller than Star Citizen. I’ve no doubt I’ll be still flying in SC long after I get bored of ED, though I hope neither is gonna happen soon.

It’s definitely frustrating to be waiting even longer for Arena Commander to come out, but what should they do – just release it with completely game breaking bugs? They’re still gonna have to fix them and in the meantime they’ll have a bunch of annoyed gamers on their hands.

2. BobbyDylan says:

The rage on their forums is a little sad. SO many whiny kids, I’m gonna stay away from it.

• Maxheadroom says:

Actually between the rage and the “We are StarCitizens! We are one! Keep the faith! In CR we trust” bollox the whole forum is more nausea inducing than the hanger module

• PoulWrist says:

The Star Citizen fanbase is an annoying trollherd that flounders everywhere deriding other games and going “well at least we have star citizen” or “star citizen is looking so much better”, and this despite that those games are all playable and fun…

• corinoco says:

There’s a lot of rage on the Elite Dangerous forums too: not many people out there seem to understand what ‘Alpha’ means. A small group of us 40-something year olds who are mature enough to know that we are helping to TEST software and drowned out in a sea of “waaaaaaah! The netcode* suxxor!” “Boohoo! David can’t code because I lost all my credits and my ship crashed”.

There are even people who complain about too many stars in the galaxy (100 x 10^6) because they won’t get to visit them all. They complain that fuel & thus range is limited, and you have to do ship & module maintenance. They complain that docking is hard.

Kids these days, huh?

* use of this term indicates you are a 1337 (of course) c0d3rz who could write a better TCP/IP stack than Tim Berners-Lee** any day and that you are also an 3><pErt in Agile software design management because you use inside industry terms like netcode

** yes, I know he didn't invent it, I was just trying to think of a respected coder and not make the obvious MS / Apple allusions.

• Maxheadroom says:

Really? I’d always thought of the ED fanbase as a largely more mature lot (If only because of the base age required to be an Elite fan).

3. SooSiaal says:

I am getting so tired of this.Bragging for weeks how the released is “going so well” and “will be on time” and then 2 hours before said date “Nooo nope,we still have some pretty big game breaking bugs we didn’t tell you about in the last wingmans hangar episode where instead we said everything was looking a-ok for a release.”
    Piss off already, if a company works toward a release date it should have a stable version that will work and doesnt get stuff added so it breaks again, this is just a pile of bullshit that gets used by alot of companies these days…

• SooSiaal says:

Yes, and therefor one uses a stable build that doesnt get build upon untill it is bugfree, me as a terrible programmer knows this, how come a company thats been given millions and millions keeps forgetting this, and alot of other companies i might add( again)

• BobbyDylan says:

So they got it wrong, it’s not the end of the world. These things happen. I dont see the point of getting worked up. I mean, the AC is going to be a very simple death-match with almost no longevity (till functionality is added).

• plsdeleteme says:

Because you could just redo that picture with:

0 bugs
          apply patch
          20 new bugs
          5 old bugs returned

Patching isn’t an exact science. And as long people (fans and media alike) demand dates stuff like this will happen.

PS: Also (because it keeps coming up) Wingmans Hangar is filmed several days in advance. It’s not a live show. They most likely didn’t know they need to delay the game at that point. In the show you can see Vanduul Swarm running (seemingly) fine. Most likely that bug was introduced only very recently (and is already fixed btw, see the link somewhere below)

• Cinek says:

0 bugs
            apply patch
            20 new bugs
            5 old bugs returned

The story of Mechwarrior: Online.

• Matchstick says:

Even if WHM is filmed in advanced, there’s nothing stopping CIG from posting a text update on Monday warning people that serious issues had been encountered that could delay release.

Well nothing apart from CIGs reluctance to release any bad news before the very last minute…

• Carr0t says:

That would increase development time a hundred fold on any big project and just isn’t feasible. If you waited for every single little addition to a massive project to be integrated, fully tested and approved before allowing the next tiny additions it would be years before you got anywhere. Equally, the complexity of this sort of system is such that you can never fully test everything. It’s simply not possible. It’s not like building a website or even a command line tool where you can know pretty completely every single thing a person might do on a give page/run of the program. Even if they have automated testing it might be that they’ve missed some edge cases that crop up because it just never occurred to them that people would do that sort of thing, even within teams working on different parts of the game code let alone when they let end-users do stuff with the game itself. You can end up changing one aspect of the game and completely breaking what would at first glance seem to be an utterly unrelated system. It’s happened plenty of times in WoW as well, where developers have said that things like changing the way a sound effect is called ends up resulting in corrupt animations or spells not applying the correct damage values or similar. Saying “They should just wait until they’ve got a bug free stable release before moving on” suggests to me that you have no experience of working on projects this sort of size and no idea of how complex they actually are.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

While this is true, the “edge cases” that you speak of wouldn’t be completely gamebreaking, the purpose of external testing is to pick up these smaller bugs that your development team just doesn’t have time to test for. Release it to enough people and they will try everything possible, go everywhere possible, break anything that can be broken, therefore you can find these bugs and fix them.
            The fact they don’t want to release it shows, to me, that they have some fairly critical issues that need fixing before any kind of external release would be beneficial.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

What I don’t understand is this is an Alpha release. It’s supposed to have bugs anyway, this isn’t a playable demo. They are either hankering for positive press by releasing this little snippet as a perfectly working module, or the bugs are completely gamebreaking to the point they cannot really release it to people and get any meaningful feedback outside of “this is completely fucking broken”.

• FhnuZoag says:

Well, the other possibility is that the real issue with the game is that it Is Not Fun To Play.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

True, but I don’t see how a few days/weeks of tinkering fixes that and suddenly makes the game fun. Even then they would benefit from releasing it and getting that feedback otherwise they are just going on the developers opinion of what’s “fun” and what isn’t.

• FhnuZoag says:

Yeah, but it’s a plausible explanation for wanting to sit on an alpha and delay and delay and delay. They can release a buggy mess as an alpha, but release a buggy unfun mess and the PR backlash could be disastrous. This sort of stuff has happened before.

• Skiddywinks says:

I think it is (rightly) pandering. I mean think about it; you have raised enough money to just start a space company instead, have all these eyes on you, and have a hell of a lot to prove to not only the naysayers, but even the yaysayers.

In two years time if/when SC is incredible, who’s going to care if the DFM was delayed by even a year, so long as when it hits it is great? That’s right, no one. Someone mentioned MWO earlier in the thread, and that game is an outright scam. There is no way the incompetence there is sincere. Community Warfare is still not even being coded, and they consider two other pillars (Information Warfare and Role Warfare) to be complete. Now no matter how good that gets, so many people have been burned that it till never be as big as it could be. Ever. There are people that put hundreds in to it but will still not ever come back to it.

I can quite easily back CR here and say that if he launched a shit, delayed DFM, it would be the beginnings of a slippery slope, even if everything else is incredible. We’ve already waited, and frankly I don’t think waiting more is a big deal if it means we get the DFM we want, and CIP get the exposure and press they need.

• P.Funk says:

Its an alpha with allegedly significant bugs which would severely hinder or outright prevent players from actually playing it. You want them to release it so that you can sit at a loading screen, watch it crash to desktop, and then go no the forum to bitch some more?

Its alpha meaning its a testing development phase. No point in releasing an alpha build where all the bugs that need fixing are self evident and prevent fluid play that will allow further bugs to be identified.

Regardless of how many times someone like you posts your confusion you still fail to grasp the notion of Alpha and really its pretty obvious all you want is to play the damned game.

This is also why mainstream developers never release alpha info. The average gamer is a fucking moron and would bitch more to Ubi or EA than they already do.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Also don’t forget that they are developing a whole game here, not just the dog fighting module. They have a work schedule for all of this, the DFM is not even going to be a part of the finished game on its own. So if things throughout the rest of the project are affecting the DFM, you can’t expect them to just drop everything to make sure they get the DFM fixed so people can have it “NOW NOW NOW!!!”. The delay to the DFM is likely not delaying the project as a whole, they aren’t making that first then going on to do the rest of the game, it’s all being developed concurrently.

P Funk, I said the exact same fucking thing as you about the testing process, I’ve said it several times in these comments, maybe actually read things before you try and discredit people. Also I’m not a backer so no, I’m not “waiting to play this”. My initial point was that either they do have pretty game breaking bugs, which could be an indication of problems with the development given how long this thing has supposed to have been coming for, OR they are trying to release a small segment of the game at something close to release quality in order to blow people away and get the hype train rolling.
            I know full well what an Alpha is, good job at the attempt to make yourself feel superior though, give yourself a pat on the back and a biscuit.

• Iainn says:

That is a nice and accurate metaphor for how software development pans out. It might be a bit extreme, but the initial promise made to the friend (client) to be there in 10 days and how quickly the people making the journey (software dev) realise it is not going to happen is perfect. I dislike with how easily the friend accepts a delay though – that is not how a real client would react :)

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Exactly. Games for the last 25 years have been experiencing delays. Some people seem to be oblivious to this and start ranting on about “games these days” and other such nonsense. This is nothing new. Think about how many AAA games are releasing broken and full of bugs (hint: It’s most of them). This happens because publishers now are refusing to give developers extra time due to quarterly earnings calls, annual release cycles and other such tripe.
        Games being delayed used to be the norm, I guarantee most of the games you all consider great from 10 or more years ago would have had some sort of release pushback. It’s just not seen as much now due to publisher strongarm tactics so some people with poor long term memory suddenly see it as a terrible thing. I’d rather have a good game later than a buggy mess now.

• Artist says:

Need cheese to your whine?

4. SanguineAngel says:

Doh! It’s a shame, I was hoping to do a little flying this evening but I guess I’m not too devastated since it’s midweek. It’s not hugely surprising but a little disappointing.

5. razgon says:

I was considering backing this, but I’ll hold off a bit, since we’ve seen very little actual gameplay that worked so far.

In other news, Premium Beta in Elite starts tomorrow, and the alpha has been…impressive to say the least.

Its a good time to be Space game lover!

6. MuscleHorse says:

I’m sorry, but when are you chaps going to comment on how this is a complete farce?

This thing has raised $43 million dollars on mostly impossible promises (coming from a man who has a history of doing so), using an engine completely unsuited to space games, adding ridiculous stretch goals every few weeks and releasing things such as space towels and space potted plants. It’s also supposedly been in development for a year or so before the kickstarter even launched and what do they have to show? A demo at an expo that repeatedly crashed (months and months after they originally promised a release of some sort). The crowning moment of that demo was the slideshow popping up with a window saying ‘would you like to complete installation?’
    They’re a complete bunch of amateurs serving naive idiots.

• drinniol says:

Did you back it?

• MuscleHorse says:

Haha, not at all. I’m not a complete idiot, only a minor one.

I’m actually enjoying the car crash. It’s hilarious how the game has been in a constant ‘Next two weeks!’ state since December. I’m just confused by RPS not calling them out for it, considering how much money they’ve gouged by their marks.

• CmdrCrunchy says:

“It’s hilarious how the game has been in a constant ‘Next two weeks!’ state since December. ”

According to who? As far as I knew dogfight was always planned for Q2 2014. When you come back, please bring proper facts.

• Artist says:

Sorry to say, but your post makes you indeed look like a complete idiot… No offense, though..

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I agree, anyone taking glee in hoping this will fail is not a true PC gamer given that fact that this project is at least being ambitious, isn’t rehashing the same garbage seen many times before and is making something PC exclusive and not some shitty console port.
            While he is entitled to his opinion and he might turn out to be right, the fact he is actively following this and hoping for it to fail instead of ignoring it proves he is just a bit of a bellend.

• somnolentsurfer says:

WTF is a ‘true PC gamer’?

• Grygus says:

I don’t have the definition ready but surely one feature of a “true PC gamer” might be someone who would rather see a good game on PC than be able to laugh at people who wanted a good game on PC. Given the choice, they would choose PC gaming rather than some kind of ego stroke.

• Diatribe says:

I’m pretty sure “no true PC Gamer” is kind of like “no true Scotsman.”

• 2late2die says:

Besides the fact that you obviously don’t understand software development I’m curious – why exactly are you “enjoying the car crash”?? Do you enjoy seeing people bust their asses off working on a project that they believe in but struggle to achieve their goals in accordance with their initial schedule? Do you gain satisfaction from seeing fans who believe in a developer and their vision get disappointed and frustrated?

Nobody in this entire situation is trying to deceive anyone. This is a project of a passion for a guy who got the means to do it via hard work. You would do exactly the same thing if you were in Chris Roberts’ position, every one of us would. How many times you imagined the perfect game with all the stuff you want in it – are you telling me you’d pass up on the opportunity to make it if one was presented? Or are you so full of yourself you think you could manage a project of such scale better than CR, who has proven experience in the industry?

I understand you might not buy into the vision. You might think the project might over hyped and that CR may have over promised. Those are legitimate opinions. But to look at the situation and laugh at all the “suckers” – that’s just sick man.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

As I said above, he is a bellend. He’s wanting this to fail so he can go “I told you so from the beginning” and feel smug and good about himself. Probably because he has very little else to actually get excited about, he instead chooses to take pleasure at other people being let down.

• Kapouille says:

You’re a little bit angry are you? Do you have personal involvement in it or potential prejudice for it?
      I personally feel for the backers. It may not completely fail, but it’s not looking so great.
      In my opinion, the project goals were a little too pie-in-the sky to inspire confidence, but I’ll be glad to be surprised.

• plsdeleteme says:

“using an engine completely unsuited to space games”
      Based on what? What exactly makes an engine suitable for space games? And why is Cryengine completely unsuitable for that? Some technical insights would be highly welcome.

“adding ridiculous stretch goals every few weeks and releasing things such as space towels and space potted plants”
      The new stretch goals are meant as little “extras” and “thank you gifts” to backers. People (just like you) already complain that the game has too much content to ever get finished, yet they in contrast complain about adding simple and easy to do stuff like a towel or plant (which even isn’t a stretch goal up until now. it can be voted but isn’t going to make it in as it seems). Some people are never satisfied as it seems?

“It’s also supposedly been in development for a year or so before the kickstarter even launched and what do they have to show?”

Criticism is fair and all. Especially concerning delays. But it has to be fair and not mostly based on arguments being pulled out of the buttocks.

• Bilateralrope says:

>It was a rough prototype that was _completely_ redone. Even the models were redone completely. Almost nothing of that first prototype is in the game anymore (according to the devs)

Didn’t Duke Nukem Forever do that a few times before it was eventually released ?

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Engine changes were mainly the thing that screwed Duke Nukem Forever. By the time they switched the game to the new engine it was no longer cutting edge and looked crap so they changed to a newer engine etc. This happened a few times. As far as I can tell Star Citizen hasn’t changed engine.

• Swanny says:

I’m neutral over Star Citizen, i’ll check the reviews when it ships.

CryEngine, as far as I can tell, has only been used for MMO and FPS games. Star Citizen is the only space game made using it. It may not be ideal for a space game possibly because of the way it handles the background- the engine seems intended for MMO or FPS, which have a persistent horizon.

My uneducated guess (i’m not a game developer) would be that it seems CryEngine uses pre-made images/designs to determine things like stars and moons, and then allowing the programmer to set the brightness, etc of the stars to get the effect they want. This could become problematic in a space game, where the background of stars and planets needs to change as the player moves great distances. More here:

• Cinek says:

Your uneducated guess is wrong. Cry Engine is incredibly flexible and things like stars / moons are one of the easiest to customize.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I’m guessing he has no technical insight and is merely plucking things out of his arse.

• Arglebargle says:

Roberts has an insanely huge ego, and has the bad (later era) Napoleonic trait of thinking he only has to show up to get the victory. He’s not nearly the genius that he (and his fannish cult) thinks he is. The feature creep on the game has been tremendous, much of it not planned for in advance, and probably offered on the assumption that ‘We’ll figure out some way to do that in the next two years.’ But it does bring in the moolah.

Star Citizen: Expect a bumpy ride!

7. amateurviking says:

Surely the point of alpha access is to release it ‘warts and all’ so that the people who have paid you an exorbitant amount of money to be QA testers can actually get their hands on the thing when you said they could?

Seems weird to sit on this to me.

• drinniol says:

Why would you need QA testers to tell you you’ve got show-stopping bugs that are already documented? It would cause even more whining than delaying the game. This is the first gameplay release – they are obviously smart enough to know that the reputation in the eyes of the many is riding on this.

You can have software done quickly, done cheaply or done well. Even with the budget it’s still being done cheaply, and I’d rather they do it well instead of quickly.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah exactly you release the build for external testing when the gamebreaking bugs that you are aware of are gone. Then allowing a large number of playtesters will find all the smaller, less critical bugs that they don’t have the man hours to test for in-house. Releasing it only to get everyone report the same, gamebreaking bug that they already know about is pointless. I’d guess this is the issue for the delay.

• Grygus says:

Not at all. Look at all the doom and gloom in this comments page due to a delay. If they had actually released code that was unplayable, you could multiply this many times. “What is the point,” would be an excellent question that would be asked. Most gamers are not stupid or entitled, but they are also not objective, and if you give them something to complain about they will seize upon it. You don’t have to deliver a polished experience with an “alpha” tag, but the less fuel you give them, the fewer burns you will receive.

8. MugiMugi says:

I cased all my founding activities the first time they had a delay, now it’s been a half year and they still have not managed to release it. They won’t get a penny from me anymore before they can actually show what they are capable of doing right now it’s just ALL TALK and no damn action at all, this is getting really annoying.

And it’s fine to delay it, but do not come out and say 2 hours before the delayy that everything goes fine.

• Artist says:

God, I would have loved to see your whining about the showstoppers when they would have released it! Such people make the net so funny! =)
      “GIMME NAOW! I DONT CARE! I CAN WHINE LATER!!”

9. Ghostsuit says:

I’d rather have a delay than a Battlefield 3 release. Yeah this sucks but what’s a few more days going to hurt, let’s be honest the servers would have melted anyway to ;).

10. BruceCampbell87 says:

Again, Chris you did it again. He didn’t say nothing until today, so the counter still rise up over and over…

• Cinek says:

Yes, cause the delay is just a few days if any – some hope they’ll release it tomorrow – today they managed to solve majority of the problems mentioned in the announcement.

Nothing to get excited about.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Nothing to get excited about? But people on the internet are such an excitable crowd, that it’s not possible for them NOT to get worked up about something like this. The RPS comment sections is quite tame and sedated compared to others, so imagine what people are going on about on other gaming sites, let alone the official forums. I have a Steam friend that’s donated something like 100 dollars into Star Citizen, so I feel for him, but the game will be great in the end, I think.

11. Stellar Duck says:

Oh, my sides!

I remember being certain that Elite was going to remain vaporware when they launched the KS and being uninterested in SC but thinking that at least the game would come out.

Seems I was pretty wrong in my assessments. Elite looks great and Braben seems to have it in control.

At this point I have no idea what SC looks like as it’s just a nebulous bunch of promises and a bewildering money grab store for shit that doesn’t even exist for now.

I backed neither game but I’m really regretting not backing Elite.

• drinniol says:

That’s what it looks like (skip to 23 minute mark as explained in the article).

• Tutamun says:

Why regret not backing elite dangerous? It got funded. They recruited enough alpha and beta tester to make sure most bugs will be found.
      You can wait for the release before jumping in. Hopefully the most annoying bugs will have been fixed by then. Also you won’t have to start over again after each wipe that alpha and beta testers have to put up with.

But if you really want to… it’s not to late to throw money at elite dangerous. You’ll even be able to play earlier than release if you buy beta later this year or premium beta now. (But I would not recommend paying the premium to beta test unless you have money and time to burn.)

12. Kyle_Katarn says:

The funniest things about these sorts of delays is that it draws out the most entitled of people in the gaming community. It happened with The Forest, and it’s happening now.

• FhnuZoag says:

They paid a thousand bucks, I think they are entitled to Something.

• Stimpack says:

The people who spent $2000 are entitled to twice as much space! Space entitlement! Unlike those dirty $30 space peasants.

This is sickening to me, personally. I think anyone who paid $1000 deserves stock in the company. I mean, what the hell is this? Clearly people paid for a finished title from a stable AAA company! It’s not like this was crowdfunding for development of a project from an amateur company where things like this should have been expected. How dare anyone who expects others to understand what they’re spending their money on.

• FhnuZoag says:

If people paid $1000 for a car and the dealer didn’t deliver, then after a while people would be calling the police. The word ‘crowdfunding’ doesn’t mean the dev has zero responsibility.

Put it another way. If all people using crowdfunding had the same pessimistic view of what they are backing, as people keep suggesting they should have had after the fact, most of these projects would struggle to meet their funding goal. Crowdfunding only succeeds because of its inherent vagueness, and it’s absolutely incentivised for project creators to keep things vague.

• Cinek says:

^ What he said.

• Walsh says:

Then those people should’ve done a bit more research on who they were backing. Chris Roberts was notorious for over promising features and extremely delayed release dates, see Strike Commander and Freelancer.

• FhnuZoag says:

Well, people are only human. I mean, yeah, you can make the case that dodgy deals are avoidable, etc. But I think it’s more productive to recognise the issues with the crowdfunding ecosystem as it is present. I’ve been reading a lot about the causes of cognitive bias, and honestly crowdfunding taps into a lot of them, ranging from effort justification, to anchoring, to the bandwagon effect and so on.

I think that it’s valuable to popularise the realisation that crowdfunding, in most cases, is ultimately a type of marketting – a way to make you pay more money for less, by pretending to be your friend.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Terrible analogy. If you paid for a car you’d be purchasing a complete product as advertised. Backing this kickstarter is like putting $1000 into the development of a concept car, its completely different and as yet backers don’t have a right to bitch because “I want it now, wah wah wah”. If this turns out to completely fail and we never get a game released then fair enough people should be held accountable, which has happened to a recent kickstarter that failed to materialise.

• Stimpack says:

Smoky already said exactly what I was going to reply with. I don’t understand how you can draw these comparisons. Yes, people are entitled to the product, but this is not as if you’ve walked into a retail store. It’s literally not even close to the same thing. You’ve basically purchased a ticket to wait on development, and you’re getting what you paid for so far. Don’t get me wrong, I’m just as disappointed. I want this thing out, I want it to work, and I want it to be great. That said, all you can really do is have patience right now, and try to understand exactly what it is you’re buying into.

• Shooop says:

Read the ToS of Kickstarter. In the end you’re not guaranteed anything. The project can be put on indefinite delay and you could end up never receiving a product.

You are considered a “backer” not an “investor”. Therefore you can’t demand anything of the company you gave money to – the contract doesn’t guarantee you anything. The Oculus Rift backers already learned that the hard way.

I personally hope this sinks this stupid Kickstarter fad already and people start demanding the chance to become actual investors instead. Because all you’re doing when you pledge on Kickstarter is pre-ordering a thing that may not even end up existing.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

The theory behind Kickstarter is great. Let the community help decide which projects deserve investment etc. Too often recently though it’s come across more as just a blatant attempt at fleecing people for some extra startup cash, which wasn’t a marketable proposition before crowdfunding. As you said, the Kickstarter ToS state that you aren’t entitled to anything.

There seems to be a move towards holding people who fraudulently use kickstarter accountable though.
          This was a situation where the kickstarter didn’t materialise at all though. In a situation where the product delivered wasn’t what those who backed the kickstarter wanted or expected, for example, if Star Citizen were to take another 5 years to develop and then turn out to be really really bad, I doubt there would be any legal recourse as essentially they delivered what the kickstarter promised, even if it did take a long time and the quality was poor.

• P.Funk says:

I’m pretty sure I read that its some federal agency preventing them from just handing out stocks for free all the time. Thats what I recall anyway.

• kiffin says:

Just as much as the guys that paid 40 Bucks. A finished game when its ready.

13. Screamer says:

Can we get a WHOOP? No? Well okay then.

14. libdab says:

I backed SC with the attitude that it was a large, complex project that was bound to take time and fall behind its release schedule. I’d much rather wait for a good quality product than end up with something like Aliens: Colonial Marines because the company felt like they had to release in order to satisfy a bunch of impatient whiners .. who incidentally would be whining even louder if they got a broken game, and asking why the developers didn’t take longer.

Breaking news people – Kickstarter is a gamble, not a sure thing. Don’t whinge if it doesn’t work out perfectly.

Having said that, I also backed Elite and I’m very impressed with the way it’s progressing so far (touch wood).

• kiffin says:

Thanks for keeping it sane :)

• mouton says:

Aliens Colonial Marines was not released broken “to satisfy a bunch of whiners”. It was broken because Gearbox blew all the money on Borderlands 2 and subcontracted the development to some other company that couldn’t manage to fix their mess. Just for clarity.

• FhnuZoag says:

Yeah, the failure of A:CM is a case for stronger publisher oversight, not letting the devs do whatever they wanted. Personally I think people really ought to re-adjust their opinion of publishers – sometimes the intervention of the publisher is very important in ensuring the game is released and is actually good on release. See for example the development history of XCOM, and STALKER.

• libdab says:

What I was trying to say (but not very well – I was feeling a bit grouchy yesterday) is that A:CM was a game that shouldn’t have been released when it was. At the very least, it was in need of extensive testing and debugging and absolutely deserved the panning it received.

Whilst it’s a bit annoying (but not really unexpected) that SC has dropped behind schedule, Cloud Imperium would be even more remiss if they were to release Arena Commander in its current state. Complaining about it isn’t going to do any good, so why bother? Constructive criticism, that’s different …

• Zenicetus says:

I didn’t back either Elite:D or SC, just waiting on the sidelines to see what looks worth buying, at some point. But this phrase stuck out for me…

“it’s a large, complex project.”

Really? Compared to what? Cockpit-level space games were one of the first successful “shooters” on the PC, because they didn’t have to render complex terrain surrounding the player, just a simple star field. They didn’t have to model aerodynamics like a flight sim — you’re just steering a camera view around in a 3D space. Most space games don’t even bother with Newtonian flight or gravity effects from large masses.

Yes, there is an expectation for modern gee-whiz graphics, but that’s easy enough to do with modern licensed engines and tools.

This shouldn’t be *that* hard a project to pull off. Especially with the budget and staff they have to work with. People used to make games like this in less time, with far fewer resources.

• ilves says:

Based on what you just said you don’t understand what they’re actually building. This will include first person walking, interactions inside the ships as well as ships flying around. On top of that the ships have actual parts and different systems that can be individually destroyed or blown off. That has NOT been done. Name one space sim where you could suddenly get out of your seat in mid flight and walk around your ship?

• Zenicetus says:

Targeting individual subsystems on enemy ships like shield generators and turrets has been around at least as long as games like Freespace and Tie Fighter. Individual component damage for fighters also goes back to the early air combat flight sims.

This is old school stuff. Maybe the people interested in SC just aren’t old enough to have experienced it, and think this is something new?

As for getting out of your seat and walking around a small internal area of your ship, does that actually seem like a major programming project? I can’t remember an example from earlier space games, but you can do it in the (terrible) X:Rebirth, the Silent Hunter sub sims, and of course the Mass Effect series. This isn’t ground-breaking stuff that should take a huge team to program.

• Sandepande says:

I agree, although while none of the concepts are new or groundbreaking, SC is seemingly attempting to do all those things at once and at quite a high fidelity. Ambitious stuff.

The project does have a whiff of a dotcom startup, which gives me a bad feeling about it. I will be really, really surprised if they pull it off, and even more surprised if it meets half the expectations it has generated.

15. morbiusnl says:

brits are better in making space games, FACT.

• Cinek says:

Funny, cause Brits are making Star Citizen too. (There’s a whole studio in Manchester)

• Havalynii says:

Chris Roberts is a Brit, so…I totally agree!

• macc says:

Chris Roberts was born in Murica, but he grew up in Manchester, so I guess it depends on your definition of a Brit.

• Skiddywinks says:

This is an example of both, I feel, but maybe more Brit depending on how young he was when he moved to Britain and how long he stayed here.

• Wulfram says:

Americans are too busy going into space

(and Russians)

• Volcanu says:

Americans are too busy going into Russians?

Well it’s nice to see them put the Cold War behind them and enthusiastically adopt the whole ‘make love not war’ thang….

• RecklessPrudence says:

Really? Because it seems to this uneducated Aussie that the Yanks have, through decades of giving NASA less money than the National Park Service (seriously, less than half a percent of the national budget?) and slashing that pittance whenever a president needs a bit extra money, all the while complaining about how much money space consumes for how little gain they see, let themselves be in a position where they have NO manned space program of their own, and political concerns mean that the people they were relying on for manned launches have withdrawn their permission for astronauts to tag along. NASA can’t even maintain your own satellites, unless something changes soon.
        The recent Winter Olympics you guys hosted cost more money than NASA’s 50-year budget total!

EDIT: I apologise for any inappropriate tone, but it just pisses me off to see the worldwide space program going downhill so much – because it’s not just the US that’s barely touching space.

16. elvis71 says:

Braben has the advantage that he has a fully functional Games Development Studio, therefore they started right away … Also the Scope of Elite is different. Star Citizen on the other Hand bad to Build up several Studios, hiring a Lot of Talent, Build up the Infrastructure etc. .. Thats a Great difference.

But as usual the Internet Crowd Knows eveything better and would do everything better, never ever delay anything and have the perfect planning without ever changing anything.

What a joke.

I’m looking forward to both Games and will judge them when they delivered something playable. its Beyond me why People always have to be on one side and against the other.

• trooperwally says:

RanDom cAPs Are Fun!

• Lemming says:

Thank you for the spot the random capital letter mini-game, it killed a few seconds.

• macc says:

Very much THIS. Comparing Elite and SC’s development is apples and oranges. Elite has been in development since 2009.

• Dante80 says:

No it hasn’t. Every serious piece of code for E:D has been developed AFTER the kickstarter was successful and the game got a green light. E:D has not been in development since 2009, you are confusing skunkworks conceptual design in some developers free time with active development. The difference is essentially that FD know exactly what they want to produce, since they have been pondering on it for years and have a clear focus.

17. spacedyemeerkat says:

I backed this project during the Kickstarter phase. Been concerned about the feature creep, though. At some point – perhaps they’ve already done this, I’ve not been following closely – they should shut the gates and stop adding features.

• Iainn says:

Same, I was excited about it for a while around the time it started to reach $17 to $20Mil. Then it kept growing in funding and features. That’s when I got worried, cancelled my email updates and only started checking very infrequently about how it is doing. I have lost all interest at the moment, but I’m sure when the game is released fully, I will be dying to try it out. For now though? Meh…

18. Megakoresh says:

I can’t really understand what’s the major difference between Elite and Star Citizen?

• Stellar Duck says:

One of them actually exists at this point and is in the hands of the backers?

• Lemming says:

Actually I think it can be summed up as : One’s clearly British, the other’s very clearly American.

• Trotar says:

The major difference game-wise is handcrafted vs procedural.
      Engine wise the difference is between modding someone else engine vs having their own in-house engine and tools.
      Company wise the difference is between a newly started one vs on existing one.

• Zenicetus says:

There are differences in the game mechanics, but the most important difference for me is that one game seems intended as a singleplayer game as the first priority, with multiplayer as a secondary feature. And the other is the reverse. But I guess it’s too early to tell how that will all pan out.

• Stardreamer says:

Dear god. So many responses, so many shots wide of target…

Elite is a life in Space. You live by any means necessary in a vast, realistic galaxy. Combat plays an important part of that but isn’t always the focus.

Star Citizen, at its core, is a paradise for dog-fighters. Shoot other people! In Space! You might get other stuff to do but the real meat is in ship vs ship(s).

• Cardboard says:

The description you gave Elite fits both games well. You’ll have the chance to be trading, exploring, mining, racing, salvaging, and more in Star Citizen, not to mention all the time you’ll spend planetside.

19. ilves says:

I’m a backer, I’m not worried.

The amount of feedback they release each week and month with detailed updates on what has been accomplished shows me that they’re making progress. When this game blew its funding goal out of the water, it was obvious to anyone know whos anything about development that the timelines originally promised were no longer a reality. The push from December to now was because the original plan was to use cryengine netcode, but as that would have to have needed to be redone anyway for the full game, they decided to do the netcode first and not have to re-write the dogfighting alpha. That is logical and an OVERALL savings of time to the project even if it delayed the alpha.

They’re getting tripped up in the fact that expectations are so high and they can’t release a buggy alpha build. If they release anything but a good, well functioning beta version of the dogfighting module (not beta of the game itself), they’ll be ripped to shreds. Kickstarters come when they come, any dates promised during the campaign are pretty much vapor as far as I’m concerned.

I’m happy that Elite is doing well, I didn’t back it because the campaign was horrible, but it looks good now. I’ll pick it up when its cheaper. I don’t understand why people are picking sides between two games that have nothing to do with each other. And for the record Elite originally promised a beta in December, its also 5 months late.

• romeurosa says:

You actually believe that all the feedback they give is true?
      It’s clearly not. Not saying that the game won’t happen… but they’re clearly hiding the problems they’re having, and how bad those problems are.

I’m a backer, so of course I’m very much interested in this game being ready and good. Unfortunately right now I have a strong belief that it’s going to take longer than probably even their worst case scenario predicted.

20. Shooop says:

Duke Nukem Forever on Kickstarter! Good. Good! Maybe this will end the Kickstarter “backer” fad.

You are not an investor when you pledge on Kickstarter. Investors have rights. They are allowed to be part of the company they put money in. Backers are nothing more than people who have pre-ordered something that doesn’t exist and may not even exist in the future. Kickstarter does not guarantee any project will even be finished – you only get your money back if the money goal isn’t reached. You are taking high risk without any reward.

When you “back” something you’re just throwing money at a concept and assuming you’ll want it if/when it’s finished. In the end you’re not even entitled to a finished product. It’s pre-ordering taken to a new level of stupidity.

• macc says:

So just wait for the publishers to pick it up?

• Volcanu says:

Surely it’s more like providing patronage to an artist, to give them the chance to create something that otherwise is very unlikely to exist? As such – what’s the problem? I haven’t backed anything on KS ever, but I have no problem with people who do, who I assume do so with their eyes open.

I agree it becomes a bit muddied when things go the way OR did…but that’s not a can of worms I want to reopen here.

• FhnuZoag says:

I do not think it’s clear at all what a kickstarter actually is, especially since different kickstarters represent vastly different things. It’s a platform where ‘here, I have a completed game, click to buy one’ rubs shoulders with ‘here I have an idea for a game, click to buy me programming classes’, and both are sold at the same price and are advertised in the same places.

I am really unconvinced that the majority of backers have the same understanding of what they are actually doing when they choose to back a project.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep people seem to think they are entitled something when they back a kickstarter. The reality is they are donating money to an idea they think is good and should only do so because they would like to see the project succeed or at least give it a chance. Not because they are guaranteed something in the future.

21. DarkLiberator says:

I guess people missed this part when they supposedly announced May 29th as the final date?

Its not like it was promised as the final locked date of the century. Delays happen.

22. yhalothar says:

Scam Citizen.

23. tomimt says:

Isn’t Frontier even using their own custom tech to build the game and they’ve still managed to pull the development much smoother? You’d expect Star Citizen would have better tech support for the engine from Crytech.

24. Chuckleluck says:

Meh. I’m trying to forget about Star Citizen. The actual release date is so far out, my excitement can’t possibly last that long. I spent $30 on a very good deal RSI was having, and I don’t regret my purchase. The Hangar is cool, the dogfighting will be cool, I’m just chilling until then. Plus, by avoiding the hype, I also avoid the Star Citizen fan boys and the people that just want to see it crash and burn.

25. derbefrier says:

As a backer I could spend my time defending delays, pointing out how most people commenting don’t know shit about the game but that would be a waste of my time. Delays suck and no I am not happy about it but instead of complaining about things i cant control I will instead, wait for the release and when its awesome and fun i’ll just say I told you so to all the armchair developers and other idiots talking out their asses.

I knew when i pledged this was no short term thing. It was going to take a year or two to see anything substantial and I have been correct in that assumption so far. Doesn’t matter though as soon as Arena Commander releases and we all see how awesome it is., these delays will be all but forgotten.

26. Photon Embargo says:

I’ve backed maybe 6 or 7 different games on Kickstarter over the last couple of years. Having done that, I watch as the updates come in and enjoy learning where things are at. Some are running more smoothly than others. I know probably at least 50% will end up in the gutter, but if even just 1 turns out to be brilliant, I will be more than happy. Also, I am happy to support people’s dreams (when the price is fair) knowing the possible high failure rate.

In light of this, I expect significant delays and accept this. So I go on with my life knowing that they will arrive when they arrive. I personally think, being too active in the forums for the games creates mania as everyone develops an unrealistic feeling of ownership.

I would love to see a lot more balanced conversations based on realistic expectations in life than endless jibbing and trolling. I’m working out in the Australian LNG gas fields and have seen jobs that should take 2 weeks take 10. People need to get a grip and take a breath I think.

Just my two cents.

At the start of the SC kickstarter I was heavily involved on their forums, but no

27. Hebrind says:

So, wait a minute. I’ve just read a few of these comments, and whereas I’m usually quite tolerant of the regular RPS crowd in these little opinion-boxes, I’ve witnessed a horrible passive-aggressive smugness that I didn’t think possible outside of reddit. Very disappointed.

Remember that this is a pre-alpha. A PRE-ALPHA. Of course it’s got bugs, and of course it’s not bloody finished yet. Starting some fanboy-esque battle because your pre-release pretend spaceships are slightly more finished than someone else’s pretend spaceships is largely futile, and makes you look a little bit silly.

I think this game shows massive potential, and I can’t wait to get my hands on it. I am, however, going to give it a good year before I check into it seriously again. This, along with other games I’ve backed like Rust, Space Engineers, StarMade and Spacebase DF-9 are all coming along quite nicely, I think. They just need time, care, and patience.

In the meantime I’ve got a back-catalogue to play through, so it’s not really a hardship to have to wait a while before a clearly unfinished game is, well, finished. And I think I’d probably prefer to play it then, too! :)

28. vahnn says:

My biggest problem with Star Citizen is all the time and money they’re spending on shit that is not Star Citizen. I’m subscribed to RSI on youtube, and my subscription feed always has videos from RSI every single day, and it’s always boring shit that I don’t give half a fuck about. How many episodes of The Next Great Starship or whatever have you actually watched?

They need to drop everything, stop over-hyping, and focus 100% on SC. I don’t want to hear another word about it until it’s out.

29. Shadow says:

I’m a backer as well, and so far there’s no real reason to worry. Star Citizen is a more complex project compared to Elite (which I’m also following closely), so it’s not surprising it’s taking longer to develop. I don’t mind if the game takes a couple more years to be finished, and if they aim to complete the feature creep post-release, as they’ve already said they will.

Cynics are gonna be cynical no matter what, and it’s frankly appalling to see so many people wishing for the game to be a failure. But that’s the human race and the internet for you: everyone thinks they know everything there is to know about any subject.

Comment on this story