Fair Trade: Europa Universalis IV Wealth Of Nations Out Now

By Graham Smith on May 29th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Sexy gaming.

Every time I write about a Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis expansion, I make fun of it for being hopelessly nerdy. Why can’t I just be honest about my feelings without hiding behind a self-conscious veneer of silliness? Why can’t I just come out and profess my love directly: these games are boss, and I don’t care who knows that I’m interested in Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations and its fleet of trade revisions.

It’s a historical grand strategy game in which you can hire privateers to steal business from your rival nations, or use covert options to begin conflicts between neighbouring countries. Pirates and spies! Those things are cool, right? Who wouldn’t be interested to know that the expansion is out today and that there’s a launch trailer below.

As per usual, this Europa Universalis IV expansion comes hand-in-hand with a patch for the base game available to even those who don’t want the DLC. The patch notes are long and illustrious, much like Adam’s beard, but they’re naturally based around improvements to the basic systems and control over trade. You can see the full patch notes list over here, but if I had to pick one, it’d be the brand new ability to form the nation of Egypt. Because that’s cool.

If you want nothing more in life than to command fleets of privateers in the expansion of your economic power, then the expansion will set you back £7.49/$10.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SanguineAngel says:

It is a scientific fact that Crusader Kings II is one of the very best computer games ever created by this or any other species in the universe.

I picked EU IV up a couple weeks back with the intention of taking the glorious Kingdom of Scotland into the new era once I wrap up my campaign in Crusader Kings II. It looks fabulous but I am somewhat concerned that the lack of character focused gameplay will be a disappointment.

I imagine it’ll just take a period of adjustment

• Meusli says:

If you like Crusader Kings 2 then you will love EU4, it is similar enough to understand but different enough to make it worth it. Plus exploring on EU4 with the new America DLC is exciting in the discovery department.

• pleaseletmecomment says:

I’ve played and enjoyed EU3 and 4, but never played either of the Crusader Kings for some reason – will going to it from EU4 be a step down? Or more of the same?

• Bluerps says:

It’s neither a step down nor more of the same – both CK2 and EU4 are brilliant, but even though there are many similarities, they are very different games.

The main difference between the games is that EU4 is about playing a nation, and CK2 is about playing a succession of characters. In EU4, the leader of the player’s country is, essentially, just another stat of that country, like its tech levels or its accepted culture – in CK2 the player doesn’t have a country, only the landed titles their character holds.

In other words, in EU4 you play (for example) as England, and in CK2 you play as the King of England. A hundred ingame years later in EU4, you will still play England (or maybe Great Britain). However after the same time in CK2 you may now play as the Queen of Navarre, because one of your ancestors married an earlier Queen of Navarre and your current character inherited that kingdom, but then you lost the Kingdom of England to a pretender revolt, so that your powerbase shifted to southern Europe. Even later you may play as the Count of Montpellier, because you lost Navarre to muslim invaders and then it all went downhill.

• DonJefe says:

I have played pc games since the mid-80′s and I think that CK II is the best game I have ever played, regardless of genre. I don’t think that EU IV is in the same class but I still consider it a great game and I can highly recommend it. The addition of trade and the ability to play the entire globe is the advantages EU has over CK and therefore I ha really looked forward to the Wealth of Nations DLC.

In other words: buy it!

• Gothnak says:

I loved CK2 but used to get mildly annoyed at not having interesting plots to carry out and the combat being a bit vague and the fact i spent most of the time upgrading castles.

I got EU IV liked the fact it was more of the world and the tech tree was interesting and the trade routes were cool, but i didn’t completely understand trade or colonising at first and you can get totally reamed for being in the wrong alliance at the wrong time in theory destroying your whole game. (I was a secondary partner in a war where the main country wasn’t under siege at all, but all of my regions were screwed and he wouldn’t take peace from me.)

• Polifemo says:

So, as a person that loves strategy games but hasn’t had the pleasure of playing the Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings franchises and wants to give them a go: Where do I start? If I just want to experience the best of the best first before anything do I start with Crusader Kings II and this new expansion of Europa Universalis IV?

• maquis196 says:

Tough one. CK2 and EU4 are both brilliant games.

I’d say a good way to decide between your first one is to ask yourself if feudal Europe is more interesting to you, or the age of Discovery.

CK2 is all about people compared to running an empire in EU4. Theres something about starting as a count on Iceland and end up getting your family to be the rulers of Europe. I personally love ck2 and have sunk 1000 hours between ck2 and eu4 :(.

Poor family lol

• Polifemo says:

CKII it is then. Im a sucker for Medieval stuff when done right and tend to get very invested in characters I control like the aces ftom my XCOM squads or my militia commanders and captains from Dwarf Fortress.
          So it sounds like the best match for me.
          Thanks for the input!

• Gothnak says:

CKII, even if you are doing awfully, you have a fun story. In EU, if you are doing badly, you die with stats going down, but you aren’t assassinated or betrayed. And you don’t try and murder your cousin or your feeble minded son (so you don’t have to play as him in future).

2. Shadow says:

Looking pretty good!

My only issue with it is that it might be a lot of work to update my personal fictional nation mod to work with the expansion and, especially, the bundle of overhauls and significant changes patch 1.6 brought to the table. Even after adapting it, I might have to work on it further to rebalance it according to the reworked mechanics, some fundamentally so.

But such is the work of a modder.

3. Gap Gen says:

Note that this version is *bugged*; the hand-shaped cursor that used to be in EU IV disappears after you install the DLC, making the game unplayable.

4. remon says:

Nice, but you’ve missed the biggest DLC release of the day. Arma 3 Karts.

5. The Random One says:

“Papal Automation” is an excellent feature name.

6. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I really enjoy CK2, but I still cannot figure out what to do about this one. I need to sit down, read the manual, and figure it out.

7. lemmerdeur says:

While I do love the game, I feel a tad burned by the previous expansion, which was meant to give us all that New World goodness, only to end up treating the locals like Manifest Destiny Cannon Fodder.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

My westernized Cherokee empire which just won its second war against the heathen British and their puny colonies, begs to differ.

• lemmerdeur says:

Haven’t tried the North Americans, I’ve been struggling with the Aztecs and Mayans. I suspect the issue is their empires are far too large. The empire spins out of control when you start Westernization. I did notice the North American tribes were much more advanced than me during my first Westernization attempt. Perhaps giving away some territory before Westernizing would do the trick.

• StashAugustine says:

For some reason, South American tribes were completely untouched by Conquest of Paradise, it only affected North American migratory tribes. Aztecs and Inca still have generic ideas IIRC.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I think you need a bit of luck, I didn’t get any colonials until almost 1600. By the time I was advanced enough to see Europe, I figured out why.

England/GB had somehow held on to most of the Normandy region and France had been decimated by Burgandy, which kept England busy for long enough and France completely out of the picture, so I was able to concentrate on locking out the whole east coast. Then by the time the British came and founded Newfoundland, I’d expanded all the way to Canada and I was in a strong position to reform and westernize.

I’ve never tried the Aztecs/Incas but I can’t imagine it going very well. Spain start colonization early and almost always go straight for where the gold is. I think playing the Aztec your best bet would be to forget Mexico, get the native ideas that give you colonists (until you reform your government) and expand towards central North America. Your goal being to get a border with a French or British colony and keep them friendly long enough to westernize.

• MaXimillion says:

CoP didn’t do anything outside North America, so that might be why you’re not seeing many changes.

8. worzak says:

It’s worth mentioning that the basegame (EU IV) is on steam sale right now. 75% off, so 10€. Definately worth it! :)

9. Gink says:

A 36 minute video by Quill18 explaining the various changes and additions that comes with the patch and expansion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvIH9lLRcGI

10. luckystriker says:

Now is the time to buy EU IV for anyone still sitting on the fence. It’s a Steam Weekend deal special at 75% off! EU IV vanilla is USD$9.99 and the extreme version is 11.99.

11. bstard says:

This patch 1.6 makes the game almost unplayable. The DLC/patch has some wonderful features, but playing it results in one war between rebel stacks. Hope PDS fixes this soon, so we can enjoy this new content.

12. Gothnak says:

Does anyone else find that when they are watching a history program where a map appears that they get an urge to play EU, CK or Total War (Still haven’t dipped my toe into Rome 2 after the poor reviews)… It’s getting so bad for me, i think i might have to boot it up again at the weekend.

Comment on this story