Ghostpirates Ahoy! Call of Duty: Ghosts’ Next DLC Is Weird

By Alice O'Connor on May 30th, 2014 at 7:00 pm.

Just a mariachi spirit nbd

Call of Duty: Ghosts seems to have rediscovered a bit of the Quake and Half-Life mod scene spirit. Hear me out, right. I know it’s all usually very po-faced and dull, but the next DLC map pack seems to throw together whatever weirdness its creators found kooky or funny or cool–as so many mods did. See, ‘Invasion’ will bring ghost pirates and mariachi revenants and I’m surprised to find CoD DLC making me nostalgic. It’s just a shame this attitude is confined to paid DLC.

One of the DLC’s four new maps gives players the ability to summon ghost pirates who roam around murdering the living, as well as fire support from a pirate ship. Another, set during a Dia de los Muertos celebration, lets you become a mariachi armed with two revolvers which turn enemies you kill into temporary bandmates. The ‘Extinction’ cross-DLC co-op campaign continues to be weird sci-fi with giant monsters. Earlier Ghosts map packs added Predator and Michael Myers too, because why not? The end result is like so many “And I like this movie and that game and those comics and OH wouldn’t it be zany if…” mods I come across in my mod readme file obsession. What would happen if you gave an excitable teenager a heap of money? Maybe this.

CoD DLC does tend to dabble in the weird more than the base games but look at all of this silliness:

This being a Call of Duty game, it’ll cost you. Ghosts map packs go for £11.49. Ignore the June 3 release date in the trailer: that’s for Xboxes as Microsoft has paid Activision to delay DLC by a month or so for everyone else.

I’d hope that the newly-announced Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare will be more fun, seeing as it has robosuits and magic wall-climbing sticky gloves, but it’ll almost inevitably be so serious about it all. I would like to see how weird the DLC gets when mechs are considered mundane, though.

, , .

1. Superpat says:

Dat Maleficent ad is annoying… I close off adblock when browsing this site because I like the content and the big static background ads dont bother me, plese dont make me turn it back on.

2. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

They seem to make a good amount of money with these really weird DLC packs. Yet the campaigns stay the same kind of confused attempted Clancy-like-of-the-Day sort of rubbish.

• The Random One says:

I’m just waiting for when they’re allowed to just give up and the evil Russian enemy de jour turns out to be a ghost wizard.

3. BTAxis says:

Staring… eyesockets?

4. tormos says:

Do they actually have you controlling drone strikes and helicopter assists and whatnot in COD games these days? Honestly that brief view gave me flashbacks to Collateral Murder.

• uh20 says:

instead one should have to pick up a radio and call in support, labelling their position exactly. any bad mouthing the pilot or the people he is reluctant to kill will discourage them in giving assistance.

5. db1331 says:

Is there a single person who reads this site that plays this game?

• Baines says:

If they’d kept the offline four player split screen for consoles, I’d be playing it. COD is a fun enough party game.

As an online PC game? No, I wouldn’t touch it.

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, I bought it, played through the campaign, every now and then I load it up to shoot bots in Squads mode, tried Extinction a couple of times. It’s all pretty meh. I’m not going to be in a hurry to get the next one, put it that way, but I quite enjoyed Blops 2 – this one’s the worst so far.

6. sabasNL says:

What the eff has Call of Duty become…

I miss Call of Duty (5): World at War so much.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

For me MW1 was the last good singleplayer COD. Pripyat, bumper cars scene, the killhouse, that big village on a hill, the missile complex, death from above, the ‘extra’ plane scene… so many stand-out moments. I can’t remember a single bit of WAW tbh apart from torture. COD2 was great as well. Will they recapture some of that spirit with STALKER suits? We’ll see.

7. serioussgtstu says:

They’ve gone completely overboard.

8. misterT0AST says:

I like the fact that both Call of Duty and Battlefield are slowly getting weirder. They can’t be accused of being brown carbon copies of their predecessors anymore. There is at least SOME effort put into making them look different and mix up the setting.