The First Unreal Tournament 2014 Play Session Ever

By Nathan Grayson on May 30th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

'Eeeeeeeek, don't look at me! I'm naked!' - Unreal Tournament 2014

Ever. Ever! Everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If you were at all doubting Epic’s plan to resurrect Unreal Tournament as an openly developed, entirely free (user-driven mod/map marketplace aside) enterprise, doubt no more. There’s a game now, and it has guns and big, gray texture-less cubes and everything else all videogames have. You can see it in sorta-action below.

Those are apparently clips from the first Unreal Tournament 2014 match ever. It’s, um, barely even a game yet, but what do you expect from something that’s been in active development for under a month? So there you go. Unreal Tournament 2014 will have a shock rifle. Hurrah.

For real, though, it’s good to see Epic following through on its promise of showing super early rough draft stuff to the community. Granted, this was still an edited video – not, say, a live stream of development or anything like that – but it’s something. It’s a decent starting point, at least. Hopefully we’ll see more as time goes on, presumably when there’s something for fans to be involved with.

Until then, I guess we’ll just have to be patient. Need some reading material to keep you company? Perhaps my Unreal Tournament 2014 interview with Epic will suffice.

, .

1. ran93r says:

As per previous iterations, I hope there is an option for small weapon models. That thing takes up the entire screen!

• Neutrino says:

That’s what my internet girlfriends keep telling me too! bom bom.

• thaquoth says:

It’s actually the model from UT3. They just don’t have any assets yet.

2. Spacewalk says:

I suppose that cubes alone wasn’t going to sell Thomas Was Alone 2 so they had to put guns in it.

• Rapzid says:

The cubes moved though! Did you see that? Largish objects effected by blasts could be a very interesting addition over 2k4..

3. Alphus says:

First ever game and there are already Hax0rs. This is a good sign.

4. Rapzid says:

Can’t wait for the TAM. I’ll come out of retirement.

5. DrollRemark says:

Why aren’t they jumping? WHY AREN’T THEY JUMPING?

• tobecooper says:

Don’t you even dare suggest that!!

They will jump. Everyone will jump. Like glorious mountain goats with shock rifles strapped to their backs.

• Scumbag says:

Goats? Dont you mean Nali war cows?

• DrollRemark says:

Actually that was more my point ;)

Those are some terrible FPS skills. Everyone knows you play DM like a kangaroo on crack.

• tobecooper says:

I think that they haven’t implement jumping yet, and feared that you’re suggesting that they won’t.
          After all, there is this relatively new design trend of ‘contextual’ jump.
          But doing that to UT? They wouldn’t dare! :D

• secuda says:

Because white man you know…. even i video games.

6. caddyB says:

It has the Shock Rifle?
    Well, as far as I’m concerned the game is finished, release it to me already!

7. prodigy84bg says:

Can you please stop calling it Unreal Tournament 2014? This name doesn’t make much sense. Are you going to start calling it Unreal Tournament 2015 next year?
    The only names that make sense are “The New UT” or UT4 for short.

• KhanIHelpYou says:

UT 2003 came out in 2002 and UT3 was a disappointingly flawed iteration of the game that’s best forgotten with no UT2 to precede it. Your pedantry is unnecessary or miss-placed. Epic them selves are resorting to the “New game, same as the old game” tactic of calling it Unreal Tournament which is far more irksome.

• prodigy84bg says:

First of all, UT2003 was more disappointing than UT3.
        UT2003 was basically UT2 (before they renamed it), while UT2004 was basically UT 2.5, so there was a UT2, even though it was not officially called that way.
        So, why does UT2014 not make sense as a name? Because none of the previous UT games were named after the year in which they were announced/started being developed. UT2003 was announced in 2001, while UT2004 was announced in 2003. More importantly perhaps, this would be a game that continues to evolve over the coming couple of years, so giving it a name that is tied to one particular year is plain wrong.

• Grygus says:

Well the point of the name is to label a thing, and you know what he means when he says UT 2014 so whether it’s a good name is beside the point that it’s an effective and descriptive one until Epic gives it an official name.

• prodigy84bg says:

Epic already gave it an official name – “Unreal Tournament”. It might be a reboot, but it would be commonly known as UT4, just like the last Mortal Kombat, which is commonly known as MK9.

8. Scumbag says:

Still more feature complete then some early access games.

9. oyog says:

OH gosh I hope I get to run around with double enforcers.

10. BlueTemplar says:

Since UT2004 is still the go-to game for me for a fun Deathmatch session among friends, I’m very happy about this!