Play WildStar With The RPS Community Guild

By Alice O'Connor on June 2nd, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

We. Are. Your friends.

Hello, dear reader. You may think of us here at Rock, Paper, Shotgun as your cherished aunts and uncles, and we want you to know that you’re our most favourite nibling. But you can’t keep hiding behind our legs at family gatherings, arms wrapped around our knees, whenever one of your cousins comes by. You should play with them. Go on. They’re nice. You’ll like them. We’re certain you’ll all have a lovely time together.

Now that WildStar has opened up ‘head start’ access ahead of tomorrow’s launch, your RPS cousins have formed a community guild to play together. Go on now, dear.

The reader-run guild is playing on the Eko server on the Exiles faction under the name Rock, Paper, Snoglugs. The Exiles are the side of humans, rockfolk, squirrel girls, and space zombies, outcasts fighting against an empire, and we shan’t wonder quite what that says about you, dear readers. Nor what it means that you’ve named the guild by smooshing us together with a fictional genus of large snail.

Stop by the guild’s forum thread to see who to pester about joining. Play nice, now.

, , , .

1. johnnyr says:

So What’s the deal with this game? Is it good?

• chiablo says:

Do you like MMOs?

Wildstar is one of the better MMO’s I’ve played so far, and has come the closest to reminding me of how good they can be. I haven’t felt this way since WoW originally launched.

But then again, I’m only in the early leveling stages, I don’t know what the end-game content is like… if there is any.

• SpoiledToast says:

A major selling point for the game is its large amount of endgame content actually, and from what I’ve heard it’s really good/hard.

• johnnyr says:

You know, I’m not sure if I like MMO’s. – I like the idea of them, and I’ve bought and played most of them, but they never seem to stick.

• bhauck says:

I think what I liked about MMOs was having enough free time to even consider playing an MMO. If I actually had that much free time again, I probably wouldn’t spend it playing an MMO (I’d probably spend it looking for work and mourning/looking for my dead/missing family).

• apocraphyn says:

Didn’t get the widest impression of it since I only played briefly during the open beta (despite being badgered to help out in various phases of the closed beta), but I just didn’t feel it. I also enjoyed WoW when it originally launched, as well as Guild Wars 2 for that matter, but Wildstar just seemed like the neglected bastard child of both of those MMOs – while it bears similarities to both of its parents, they’re all largely superficial. The interface was a mess of menus, the combat felt floaty and weightless, the environment felt too constrained at the start (though it opens up after the tutorial sections), etc. etc.

Again though, this is all from my point of view. I was a teenager with a lot of spare time when WoW was still in beta, so my impressions of it today may have been different to what they were back then. That said, nothing’s changed for me since the launch of GW2 and I adored it during the early stages of the game all the way through to the end, something I can’t say of Wildstar. To each their own, I guess.

• Ryuuga says:

Yeah, same here, pretty much. The beta left me bored. A good MMO, like popcorn, induces a craving for more, even if each morsel is perhaps not overwhelming. Wildstar failed to do this for me. Floaty combat, samey items, all clad in quest reward gear which looks very samey, contrived “dynamic content” which only highlights the non-dynamic world, really dull click-stuff quests both in the main questline and in the settler path.

And then, to finish off, female characters are pretty much entirely stuck in the sex trophy look, and well, that’s when I really lost interest. I mean, sometimes I wanna look like a slutty thing in bikini, sure, but give me an option for something else, too, eh? Lack of variation in looks seemed to be a recurring theme for all race/gender combos, too, with little to distinguish player characters from each other. I guess City of Heroes spoiled me, there, but still, even in WoW, at least some races managed to have several distinct looks (notably male/female undead).

2. Orija says:

No, thanks.

3. satan says:

I had every intention of powerlevelling to the cap, but I’m having too much fun breaking mmo rules that I’ve far too long taken for granted (stacking speed boosts and skiing across zones faster than a speedhacker, climbing everything to check out the view because I’m not hitting invisible walls, laughing as my resource node decides it doesn’t want to be harvested, gets up and runs away).

4. LionsPhil says:

Bad idea: pre-ordering a game.
    Worse idea: pre-ordering an MMO.

Give it a few months and you can give it a spin when it inevitably turns F2P in desperation.

• Stupoider says:

Well, that’s a bit of a generalization. WildStar reminds me of Rift, and Rift managed to stave off the F2P bug for more than a year, even released an expansion, and it’s among the better F2P MMOs.

WildStar’s been getting a lot of love from the MMO players chasing difficulty and the amount of end-game content available will keep them occupied for a while. I don’t think they have anything to worry about.

• Bull0 says:

I think the saving grace will probably be the ability to buy game time with ingame currency. In a sense, it doesn’t “need” to go F2P. Choosing between new hotness and old faithful is the thing that puts people off pure subscription MMOs, I think.

• derbefrier says:

that and teenagers without jobs

• Philomelle says:

TERA also had the ability to buy game time with in-game gold and had arguably a much better combat system than WildStar. It survived for less than six months.

Not saying that the same will happen to WildStar. I’m also playing it and quite enjoying myself. I simply believe that what keeps a MMO afloat is less payment options and more its ability to keep the player engaged and interested in being a part of its community.

Final Fantasy XIV succeeded at that. RIFT didn’t because for all of its good ideas, the world is surprisingly lifeless and no amount of raiding will save that. Star Wars: TOR didn’t simply fail at keeping a community, it actually drove a huge chunk of it out with its attempts to enforce endgame PvP. For WildStar, we won’t be able to tell until the first month is over and the “played for one free month and forgot” people drift away.

That said, the focus on endgame content is real and just might keep the players engaged in the game.

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, I didn’t say that all a game needs to be successful is the ability to buy game time with ingame currency, and I didn’t say this game was the first, etc. I said in this case, I think being able to buy game time with ingame currency is going to make a big difference.

Clearly there will be other factors at work. This feels like fairly obvious stuff to have to point out. Yep, definitely one o’ them internet conversations.

• iamgenestarwind says:

um i am confused you are saying final fantasy xiv is better than rift how so? final fantasy xiv is the worst OMM i have ever played i got it on sale and if i had bought it for 10bucks it would have been 10 dollars too much sadly i bought it for 30 dollars it is the most boring game i have ever played
            cant say i will be playing wildstar either i dont see the point in paying 60 bucks for a game that is likly to be bad
            hmm best OMM i would says is guild wars 2 not too great with out other ppl but there are lots of world quests that need large groups to finish

• Philomelle says:

@iamgenestarwind:
            I didn’t say one is better than the other. I said that RIFT with its “We’ll put out a dungeon every other month if we feel like it.” completely failed to justify the monthly subscription to its users, whereas FF14 with its “We always put out a bi-monthly patch that contains a new dungeon, a bundle of solo content and a side dish of some other interesting stuff.” did.

That said, what you find fun isn’t what everyone finds fun. I enjoyed FF14 much more than RIFT, though not to an extent my friend does; she spends all of her free time in it. RIFT, meanwhile, reminds me of Torchlight II. It has sound mechanics and core ideas ruined by having about as much personality as an empty cardboard box.

5. Maxheadroom says:

Has this gone free to play yet?

How about now?

6. Tiax says:

Tried the beta for like three hours, almost died of boredom. Then again, MMOs are probably not for me.

7. rexx.sabotage says:

WoW is certainly looking wackier than ever…

Nice, video embed choice. Seriously!

[taps foot along with tune]

• Geebs says:

Hmm, well the bass line to Good Times IS notoriously difficult….

Foosnark says:

I am an altoholic. I like creating characters and trying builds almost more than playing the game. I don’t do endgame content, guilds, raids, or PvP.

I fill all my character slots, restart some of them, try different things. I rarely have a “main” and “alts”, more like “which of my characters do I want to play now?” And when I max their level, I typically stop playing them and maybe start a new one, or just move on.

I will never, ever join a 40-man raid or a raiding guild. They sound like my idea of hell.

I like Champions Online, because it really seems to encourage trying new combinations of things, and hitting max level opens a new character slot.

I like Guild Wars 2, because the quest and exploration stuff are interesting, and there’s still daily achievements and exploration to do even if you don’t want to group up for a dungeon. Huge groups of people meeting coincidentally and beating on a dynamic event or champion together? I’m fine with that; nobody is telling me my build is suboptimal or that I’m stealing their XP.

Do you think I would I like WildStar, or is it completely antithetical to my playstyle?

• nrvsNRG says:

No….or yes….depends really.
      Does that answer your question? Seriously tho, it does have more of a focus on group raids and PvP, which you dont like. The solo leveling up process is pretty boring IMO, but you might dig it. For me, most of the fun stuff is raiding.

• Philomelle says:

You sound like you’re into it for journey to the endgame rather than the endgame itself, so… no, I think you should stick with GW2 or try FF14. While WildStar has a decent story, a lot things to do, plus some amazing freedom for character building, all of it feels like it’s ultimately there to prepare you for the endgame.

Foosnark says:

Pretty much what I’d guessed. Thanks, you two.

9. aliksy says:

I tried the beta and the starting tutorial was amazingly boring. Click on this guys and hit F. Walk over here and click through this wall of text. Click on these guys and hit F. By the time I actually got to play anything I was frustrated and bored. I quit before I saw any tasks that had a risk of failure.

10. fenriz says:

WoW, i certainly will play this

11. kalirion says:

Wait, I was certain RPS would be boycotting the game because of the oversexualized female outfits and all that, or am I thinking of a different MMO?

• Phasma Felis says:

They’d have to boycott every fantasy MMO ever made. I’d think we’d have noticed by now.

• Philomelle says:

They would still be able to report on FF14, where male and female armors look exactly the same. I imagine they don’t because the game requires insane commitment in order to get anywhere in it.

WildStar actually is pretty awful about that in places. The walk cycle on female Mechari is so awkward that almost nobody plays that particular race/gender combo, while female Draken look completely different from their male counterparts in order to make them sexier.

But the Exile side is considerably cleaner in that regard despite having polygamous bunny girls, and that’s the faction RPS guild is in.

• Tom Walker says:

Planetside 2 has no such issue, and there’s an RPS community for that too:

It’s free and has guns. And hover-tanks.